The Little Red Hen | Teen Ink

The Little Red Hen

By MistyVenture GOLD, Newman Lake, Washington
MistyVenture GOLD, Newman Lake, Washington

“If you’re going to be a writer, the first essential is just to write. Do not wait for an idea. Start writing something and the ideas will come. You have to turn the faucet on before the water starts to flow.” —Louis L’Amour

Little Red Hen
One bright sunny day, a little red hen got up early in the morning and put on her best apron. She went next door, eagerly knocking on the door of her nearest neighbors, the fox, the dog, and the weasel.
“I am to make bread for this evening's feast.” Announced the little red hen. “Will you help me make the bread?”
“No.” Said the fox, the dog, and the weasel.
The little red hen sighed. “Fine, then I shall make it myself.” And off she went.
An hour later, the fox, the dog, and the weasel got out of their homes and went to their jobs. The sounds of the little red hen in the distance seemed pleasant at the coming of fresh bread. The fox, always off to cause trouble, went his way.
“I'm off to the woods, 'tis much to do. Goodbye,” said the fox to the dog and the weasel.
  “And I too,” said the dog. “For there are sheep to be herded and rabbits to be hunted. Goodbye,” said the dog to the fox and the weasel.
“I shall depart as well,” said the weasel. “For there is much to be done. I must hollow out a cave for my summer home. Goodbye,” he said to the fox and the dog.
“Wait!” crowed the little red hen in the distance. “May I take just one moment of your time?”
“We're quite busy.” Said the fox, the dog, and the weasel.
The little red hen smiled politely. “I only require a second from you. May you help me take the wheat to the mill? I am too small to get it by myself.”
“Fine.” Said the fox, the dog, and the weasel. And they did.
After an hour, the wheat was gathered. The fox, the dog, and the weasel went their ways. “Tis much we must do at so late an hour!” The cried, and off they ran.
Another hour passed. The fox, the dog, and the weasel, busy from a long hour's work, stopped to take a break at the pasture's pond. After a well deserved rest, the fox finally stood.
“I'm off once more,” said the fox to the dog and the weasel. “Goodbye.”
“And I too. Goodbye,” said the dog to the fox and the weasel.
“I as well shall depart.” Said the weasel to the dog and the fox.
“Wait!” Came a coo from the hen's quarters. “May I take just a second of your time?”
The fox, the dog, and the weasel sighed heavily. “My dearest little red hen, tis much we must do. We cannot help you any more.”
“Just one moment,” pleaded the little red hen. “Please will you help me ground the wheat into flour? For I am but one hen and the work is much.”
The fox, the dog, and the weasel exchanged sorrowed looks. “Fine,” they sighed, and they did.
Another two hours later, the wheat was ground. The fox, the dog, and the weasel returned to their work.
“How shall I ever finish my work now?” Cried the fox, the dog, and the weasel.
“We must be off, for there is much to do and little time to do so.” And off they went.
The sun sped by with incredible speed as the day came to a close. The fox, the dog, and the hen took some time to eat their lunch under the pasture's tree.
“Please,” cocked a small voice. “May you help me carry the flour to the farm? The bag is heavy and my strength is small.”
“No!” Cried the fox, the dog, and the weasel. “For we have much to do and very little time.”
“Just ten minutes?” Pleaded the little red hen.
“Fine.” Said the fox, the dog, and the weasel, and they did.
An hour later, all the flour was hauled to the farm. The fox, the dog, and the weasel quickly ran to their jobs before the little red hen could catch them again.
An hour later, the dog and the weasel walked together.
“Where is Fox?” Asked the dog.
“He has been asked to help the little red hen to bake the bread. He shall be back in a minute.”
The dog and the weasel sat in behind the large barn, tired from a hard day's work. “We must do something about the little red hen,” said the dog to the weasel.
“Indeed,” agreed the weasel. “We shall not be getting any work done with her company.”
“What shall we do?” Asked the dog.
“Avoid the little red hen at all costs,” said the weasel to the dog. “Otherwise, we shall not get any work done.”
And they did. For the rest of the day, it was said that the dog and the weasel were no where to be found, for they were busy at their jobs. A hard day's work came to an end. The fox, the dog, and the weasel came to the barn, eager for the evening's feast. The dog and the weasel went to the table with the other barn animals, but the fox went into the kitchen.
“Dog?” said the weasel. “I fail to smell any of little red hen's delicious bread. Where has it gone?”
“I do not know,” replied the dog. “Where is the fox?”
“Here!” Shouted the fox cheerfully. “I hope you will all enjoy the feast.” Said the fox to the other barn animals.
“Where is little red hen and her delicious bread?”
“I am allergic to bread,” said the fox to the dog and the weasel. He brought out the food prepared, fruit, vegetables, and platter of meat with orange sauce.
“But I seem to have solved our problem about the little red hen and her annoying bread. Would you care to eat some of my delicious homemade chicken dumplings?”
“I will!” Shouted the dog.
“I will as well!” Shouted the weasel.
“As will I!” Shouted the fox.
And they did.

[Moral of the story: Don't ask for help from busy people]

Here is my version of the little red hen. This is called a Fractured Fairy Tale, it is a spoof from the original Little Red Hen. I think this one is a little more accurate