The Rage of Odin | Teen Ink

The Rage of Odin

By stenova BRONZE, Trumbull, Connecticut
stenova BRONZE, Trumbull, Connecticut

"'Tis not in mortals to command success, but we'll do more, Sempronius- we'll deserve it."

Einar grasped Cuddles tightly, his blond hair getting tangled in the silken and milky fur of his only friend. Cuddles have been still and silent but to Einar in that moment, nothing was more alive, nothing more warm, his plush softness honey to sweeten his life.
But still in that moment, Einar heard the harsh resonance of a slamming door, the house officially being closed to the outside, a sort of twisted Eden where the snake became the ruler. It was Einar’s father, Odin. A rough man of forty years, a tattoo of a dragon on his right arm, a raven on the left. Thirty-five years his junior, Odin reminded Einar every day that he was an accident, a drunken night, a custody battle where the winner ultimately lost. Einar didn’t know what any of that meant, but every time he heard that he knew to hold Cuddles just a little closer and just move a little farther into the corner. But that never really took away Odin’s rage, and when Odin finished his words, his drawn-out lectures in drunken stupors screamed through striking Einar’s pale face.
Odin trudged up the stairwell, his winter boots clashing against the wood, becoming just louder and louder every time. As he let out a grunt upon turning towards Einar’s room, the child’s face turned to a cold snow, and he put his scrawny arms around Cuddles’ chest.
Odin had in his right hand a bottle of some liquor, empty as the liquid had burned his throat an hour before at the bar. Einar saw the glass glistening, and stared at it while his father rolled off the names of all Einar’s sins. The bottle which Einar had stared so intently at moved closer and closer to his face, Odin’s anger thrusting it towards the child, and Cuddles’ chest became stained red. Einar was silent, his frigid body laid like a cross on the barren floor, and peace ran over the house as Odin sighed and took out a bottle of a brown liquid from his pocket. He took a sip, kicked the child, and the sound of his boots became fainter and fainter.

I am lucky enough to have a supportive family, but I realize that millions of children around the world do not share that privilege. I wrote this piece because through writing, we can experience situations that we would could never even fathom happening in our own lives. Not only does it build empathy and compassion for humanity, but writing really does help us to live several lives, and this story was an attempt to prove that.

stenova BRONZE said...
stenova BRONZE, Trumbull, Connecticut

Thank you so much for reading! I really appreciate it :) check out my other work if you want! Thanks again!

hhhjjhh said...
hhhjjhh, Yuuuuuu, Massachusetts
I read this over a couple times. It's very good, and one of my favorite excerpts from it is "Thirty-five years his junior, Odin reminded Einar every day that he was an accident, a drunken night, a custody battle where the winner ultimately lost." Nicely done!

stenova BRONZE said...
stenova BRONZE, Trumbull, Connecticut

Thank you so much! I'm so happy someone commented and I really appreciate your feedback! Feel free to check out my other stories if you liked this one :) I'll be sure to check out yours!!

Gwendolyn_ BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana

"Look what you have done. Listen! your brothers blood cries out to me from the ground!" -God

"Never let your schooling interfere with your education." -Mark Twain

"All the drugs in the world will never save us from ourselves" -Marilyn Manson

Very cool! I love your whole concept, this is amazing