Daddy's Work | Teen Ink

Daddy's Work

By Tee25 SILVER, Littleton, Colorado
Tee25 SILVER, Littleton, Colorado

The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear. And the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown. - H.P. Lovecraft

Daddy wakes up from the beeping of the wood box. Every morning it goes off.  He doesn't see me hiding in the doorway. My magic box rings later.  He gets up and goes straight  down stairs. He grabs bowls, milk and spoons with his giant, leather hands.  After fixing the table how he always does,  he pours his milk and cereal. I am shocked that he didn't pour mine,  but then I remember he doesn't know I'm up. Then,  he walks up to the room of falling water. He emerges smelling of flowers.  I wonder how he got them.  He puts on his great big suit made of silk and silver.  Then his colorful snake wraps around his neck..  I wish I had such a well trained snake. Then,  he goes to my room,  but no sweat of mine is shed since I had made a feather me in my bed. Daddy passes by it with a glance. He waves it a farwell. 
Daddy slaps on his dragon skin boots, preparing for another battle I presume.  He puts on his jacket,  with fine carvings showing his adventures  in a secret tongue. He opens the immovable oak doorway. Leading to the dark dungeon he goes down every day. He trifles down the shadowed stairs with great big steps as if a quest awaits him. In his haste, he leaves a crack in the doorway.  I wait for the boot steps to fade. Then, I pry open the solid oak door.  Once I get it open to  a crack just wide enough for me to squeeze in, I cease to make sure no more light escapes into the unknown depths. I peer in with only half my head.
The light that should have been shadow blinds me. I stagger back out, and wait for my vision to clear. I go and grab the lenses Daddy allows uses when we go outside. I enter again with eyes squinted. This time I waited for my eyes to readjust to the light and saw stairs leading down followed by a turn in the wall I could not see around. The walls of this new stairwell were covered in strange symbols. There were black and white photos of great heros I recognised from history class and many more of individuals I did not know of. With the stairs properly explored, I ventured down them, and arrived at the bottom. I stick my head around the wall hoping for more rooms to explore. I am immediately met with a hand upon my shoulder. So unexpected this is, I jump around before I can get a look around the corner. Daddy’s face stares back at me,as he lifts his hand from my shoulder. He grabs me up in one solid motion, and lays me back to bed. He closes the door, and I hear the click of the lock.