Petals for Lilia | Teen Ink

Petals for Lilia

By kara-dela BRONZE, Seattle, Washington
kara-dela BRONZE, Seattle, Washington

“Are you crazy? You could have killed my son! He’s lactose intolerant,” she steamed. Her white complexion was now boiling red with anger.

“Terribly sorry m-ma’am,” I stammered. “Our milkshakes use a classic American recip--”

“‘Classic American recipe’ you say?” She stood up and grabbed her son’s little hand violently. I became tense as she towered over me. She laughed bitterly and added, “First they vaccinate our children and now they’re hiring Chinks like you to tell me what American is! Let’s go, Caedyn.” She stomped out of the diner dragging her son behind her.

“Mommy, what’s a Chink?” I heard his little voice ask as the bell jingled and the door closed. I watched her sit her son in the front seat of her Prius and speed off.

I sighed and said to myself, “Dear Lord, please keep him safe without a car seat and seatbelt, and may he never end up like his mother.”

“Amen to that!” Lilia's hearty laugh danced to my ears. I relaxed and smiled at her through the order window connected to the kitchen. “I ain’t never seen you pray but I guess that’s what happens when you come face to face with the devil.” Her deep chocolate eyes sparkled brightly at me and her brown cheeks plumped up trying to keep a straight face. She let out a loud hoot and I giggled with her. Our laughter echoed through the now empty restaurant. It was old and could always use a little fixing, but no one ever seemed to mind. All the regulars loved its homey atmosphere, and visitors enjoyed the Americana style.

My smile faded as I began cleaning the devil’s table. Some things haven’t changed since the fifties. I scoffed slightly remembering her comments. My gaze softened at her son’s kids’ menu. Etched in crayon was a woman stick figure, her arm going straight out with a rectangle, some scribbles and a circle above it making what looked like a milkshake. Hearts were drawn all around it. The ends of my mouth curved up into a soft smile remembering how excited he was to order it. His mom was shouting on the phone. She shrugged him off telling him to shut up and get whatever he wanted. Instantly his eyes lit up and I took his order with a friendly wink. My heart sank as I emptied the glass in the sink.

Lilia must have noticed my sad silence. She playfully hip bumped me and said, “Don’t let people like that get to you, Sugar. I don’t want other people’s nasty feet stomping out my beautiful sunflower.” I looked up to her encouraging smile. She always knew what to say to make me feel better. “You don’t know how many people tol’ me I wouldn’t stay clean no more. They still be telling me I’ll be goin’ back to the big house. But I don’t mind they stomping and just keep growing like them sunflowers out there, face to the sun.”

***
I untied my apron and hung it up, “Do you need me to do anything else before I go, Lilia?”

“Oh, no everythin’s good,” she shook her head smiling. I let my hair down and put on my sweater. “Actually, could you take care of that little jar by the register for me?” she winked. “You had to deal with a little extra today.”

“Thank you so much, Lilia,” I said giving her a hug. “Good night. Take care!”

Driving home on the empty, dirt road in my pickup truck, I felt content to have survived another day. There was nothing more soothing than the sun sinking into the wheat fields and the playful jingle of the tip jar now in my cupholder. I breathed in the sweet Louisiana air.

Before I realized, I had slammed on my brakes, breaking my blissful daze. Before me was a line of ducklings following their mother. I sighed with relief. Resting my head on my hand I let out an, “Aww” at the little family.

The rest of the way home, my mind wandered to the devil I had encountered. She would be a terrible mother duck. Quackin’ on her damn duck phone while her poor little duckling was gettin’ restless and lost. All he wanted wanted was a little milkshake. My thoughts led me to remember my own first milkshake.

I used to stay in the diner to study and avoid going home. I never ordered anything and I felt bad about it. One day, I came into the restaurant wiping away my tears on my sweater sleeves. I stuck out like a sore thumb at school and always got teased for my small eyes and for being white-washed. Lilia was just a waitress and much younger then. She didn’t say a word. She just left me alone and came back with a milkshake and put a little sunflower in the empty flower vase on my table. Confused, I looked up at her. She just said, “Don’t let anybody stomp you out, Sunflower.”

Since then I always thought of her as a mother, the first above all of the dry dialogue of “This is your home for a while...” and “I know I’m not your real mom but...” that I’ve been shuffled between. My housing changed, but I could always find a home with her. She always found a way to provide any and everything I needed. The only time she ever brought up money was giving me my job. I smiled at the thought of all the times she fed me and taught me to write all fancy in cursive.
The jingle of the coins came into my ears again. I have an idea. I turned to take a different route home.

***
I came to work earlier than usual. With a small spade I began working on the flowerbeds that had been empty for so long. I buried the seeds, careful not to make the changes noticeable. Lilia wouldn't even be able to tell. She always goes in and out through the back doors anyway. During my breaks, I snuck a pitcher outside to water my little seeds. I could barely contain my excitement for the surprise on Lilia’s face. I wished I could make them grow faster.

***    
Today was the day. My flowers were finally blooming. I was eager to see the vibrant yellow petals surround their round, brown faces. I couldn’t tell if  I was jittering with excitement or just the bumpiness of the rural road.

As I turned into the diner, I didn’t see any yellow or brown. Instead, I saw red, blue, and white. My face fell as I saw all of the flashing lights. My eyes widened at the chocolate skin contrasting with the white stretcher. “It can’t be,” I gasped to myself. “Lilia!” I shouted running out of my truck. I was pushed back by a couple of medics. They tried to tell me something about a robbery. My eyes filled with tears as I saw the woman I loved most amid all the noise and chaos. There was blood seeping through her apron but her face still looked as kind and beautiful as ever. I ran through the medics and police and fell to kneel by her side. “Lilia!” I exclaimed through my tears. I took her hand and held it to my cheek, my eyes searching desperately to her face.

Her deep brown eyes opened slightly and she spoke hoarsely, “Did you plant the...?”

I nodded vigorously. “Yes, yes. I wanted to surprise you...” I trailed off in my quiet sobs.

“They’re beautiful...I’m sorry this had to surprise you instead.” Even in such dark moments she still had her heart and humor ready.

I cried even harder as the medics pulled me away and lifted her into the ambulance. I couldn’t concentrate on their voices. A reporter pushed through the crowd. “Do you have any insight as to what might have caused this robbery? Drugs? Gang connection perhaps? Very common among your kind of people.”

My body tensed. I knew that face. It was the devil.

Lilia didn’t want anyone stomping on me and I was not going to let anyone stomp on her or her memory either. “No, ma’am I don’t. I don’t understand why this would happen to such a kind woman.” I took a deep breath. “No drugs. Only things she dealt were love and good food. No gangs either, ma’am. But she was like a mother to me, always looking out for me and caring for me. ‘Your kind of people’ could sure learn a hell of a lot from her.”

***
I sat on my knees in the grass. I sighed and sniffled. I’ve cried myself dry. I gently lifted the bouquet from my lap onto the ground before the headstone. I wiped my nose on my sweater sleeve. I reached in my pocket and tucked a small card between the yellow petals. I had written in my best cursive:

“They can stomp all they want, but you will always be in my heart...

Love always, Your Sunflower.”