A Warrior | Teen Ink

A Warrior

By bhagyashree BRONZE, Mumbai, Other
bhagyashree BRONZE, Mumbai, Other

“Don’t go.” I repeated. But stubborn Nick wouldn’t listen.

“Stop acting like a child! I shall return hale and hearty, I promise. The nation needs me and I cannot stay back like a coward for the sake of my own safety. It would be selfish,” Nick said with that extraordinary passion in his eyes.
I quickly turned away and in a fit of rage I shouted ,“Let the world say it selfish then. Over 100 soldiers have been declared dead. The situation is sensitive .Your safety is my priority. How shall I even survive if something happens to ………”
Nick covered my mouth before I could finish my words . “ Your prayers always protect me, Mary,” saying this he planted a kiss on my forehead.
I didn’t speak .
Nick bent on his knees, removed a rose from the vase nearby and with a seraphic smile he said, “So tell me my darling , may I go ?”
Was I left with any choice ? I was trapped in my darling’s sweet gesture and unwillingly I nodded a yes .
“Love you Mary !” he exclaimed . He was too mature to jump and flutter but I could feel him dance in his mind. His eyes twinkled and quickly, without procrastinating even for a second , he started packing his luggage bags . Maybe the proud General had found his happy element.
I watched him silently , the shine of bravery and responsibility glittering on his face and the haste and yearn to serve the country , regardless of personal comfort and delight. The nation was calling him. But none could explain him the fears of my mind.
“I’m leaving Mary. I shall return soon. Take care of yourself and Mike, ” saying this he bowed to the Lord and the proud General left for his duty and I left for my prayers . My mind revolved around Nick . I prayed for his victory and safety.
I checked the clock. It was 3:00 am. Little Mike was sound asleep in his bed. In a few minutes I joined him and slept .
I hadn’t heard from Nick since then. The news just showed that tension prevailed in the nation. No results as yet.
Days passed like years and my mind was entangled in his thoughts.
2 days later , the newspaper arrived with headlines in bold – ‘Over 100 lives saved from the attack , 10 soldiers dead , 15 missing . ’
The headlines almost stole my breath. My heart started beating faster than ever. What about Nick ? How was he ? All these questions troubled me.
Quickly, I bumped my head into the newspaper for details . The corner of the page showed the names of the martyred. I prayed and started reading those anxiously.
I took a breath of relief. By God’s grace, Nick was alive. I really felt sorry for those martyred , but soon rejoiced for Nick.
But this brief period of joy was soon destined to end.
Mike ran towards me and exclaimed ,“ Mom, check the television . Papa’s photo is being displayed. Yeah!”
“Stop joking Mike. You might be mistaken.”
“No. He’s really there on the T.V. ! Papa is famous ! He’s a star ! He’s a star …..” saying this Mike danced around happily .
I rushed towards his room to check if what he said was true. I switched on the Television and pinched myself to check if what I saw was true.
‘General Nick William Swift – missing .No details about the condition of the General found. ’
“ No ! This couldn’t happen. Nick cannot be missing . He’s safe ! ” I repeated to myself. I quickly dialed the army service number.
An army official picked up the call.
“ Hello; Mary Swift here. My husband is a general in the army . I have heard that Nick Swift is missing . Is it true ? ” My voice was trembling with fear.
The official didn’t speak.
“Hello , can you hear me ? Please answer my question. Where is Nick right now ? Is he safe ?” I shouted angrily.
The official answered.
“Sorry ma’am. General Nick is missing. We don’t have any information about him. But we are searching for him. We will contact you when details about him are received.”
The phone slipped from my hands.
“Ma’am, are you okay? Do not worry. We are searching for him. Hello , are you there ma’am ? Hello……..”The voice spoke but it didn’t matter to me. I dumped my head in my hands and I broke down. I wailed helplessly. I wanted to meet Nick . I dialed his number but it didn’t connect.
“What happened mom ? Dad has become a star, right?” Mike asked .
I wiped my tears and hugged him tightly.
“Daddy was always a star and he still is,” I said and controlled my tears.
“So when is Star Daddy going to come?” Mike asked.
“He will return soon. ”
Unaware of his missing dad, Mike left to play.
I waited for him each day. My ears were trembling to hear that Nick was safe. 3 months passed by. The world had already assumed that Nick was martyred in the war. Maybe my prayers didn’t protect him this time.
Now I had lost all my hopes of having him back again. I stood by the window, gazing at the medals of the proud General hung on the wall.
Suddenly, Mike handed over the local newspaper to me and danced around.
Perplexed , I asked, “What happened ? Why are you dancing around ?”
“Daddy is so famous ! Look at his photo in today’s newspaper! ……..”
Before he could complete his sentenced , I quickly opened the newspaper and search for details about Nick carefully.
And here he was, on the 3rd page of the newspaper with headlines in bold –
‘ Missing General kills hidden terrorists in Alan Glacier and saves the lives of countrymen – General Nick Swift went into hiding for 3 months since he had suspected a few terrorists and killed them strategically last night in the Alan Glacier . The terrorists could have been a massive danger to the country but the General bravely managed to handle the situation and safeguard the country. The nation is proud of him . General Nick is reported to be safe.’
A wide smile was carved on my face that seemed to have disappeared for ages. Nick was alive! Yeah , Nick was alive ! I danced around and held Mike in my arms joyously. I was relieved . Life returned on my face and my joy knew no bounds.
My phone beeped at the moment. It was Nick’s message.
‘ Your other half is returning home today. Eager to meet you and Mike. Take care. - Nick. ’
Happiness returned in my life that was once devoid of joy.

A touching story of a warrior who has to chose between duty,love and loss. 

An amalgamation of emotional catharsis and old school romance.