Lady of Stars | Teen Ink

Lady of Stars

By isabelle-scherl SILVER, Shoreham, New York
isabelle-scherl SILVER, Shoreham, New York

She has stardust in her hair and all the stars in the sky on her fingertips. She is the light and darkness. She puts people to sleep and keeps others awake. She is gorgeous and she used to be mine

She used to be mine before I drove what we had into the ground. Now, there is no “us” only a “me” and I walk down this familiar road, once again, alone.

No matter how long we are apart, I will love you regardless. I will love you when we are eventually forgotten and are nothing but stardust in someone else’s hair.

But I understand when you let me go. I would’ve too. I respect your choice. I will sit idly by while you move on. You will eventually start finding other people, maybe get married. 

Every time your life moves forward I will be in awe and feel bad about how I will never move on as well. Throughout your life I will always be cheering you on, even when I am only a mere shadow in your rear view mirror. 

Though I am happy for you, I can’t say the same for the people you move on with. I will snarl at their dastardly ways. I am still very protective of you. I never want them to hurt you the way I did. I never want them to extinguish your light and never let you shine.  There is almost bound to be another. Another person like who I was before, coming to bastardize your life.  When they make you cry like I did, I will want to run towards you. To help you, to pick you up or to cry alongside you. 

Though, eventually, there is bound to be one person who makes you happy. When that happens I will slowly die inside. Over and over again until there is nothing left but the longing for something I can never have. A yearning for what used to be mine Something just out of my reach forevermore.

This piece was inspired by my friend doodling stars on the back of my hand in class.