The Moon | Teen Ink

The Moon

December 28, 2023
By Bella_Queen DIAMOND, Plymouth, Ohio
Bella_Queen DIAMOND, Plymouth, Ohio
90 articles 26 photos 79 comments

Favorite Quote:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine and shadows will fall behind you.
-Walt Whitman


In the quiet of the night, I stare at the moon.

How strange that, before, I had never really stopped and looked at something that has been with me all my life. 

Why would I?

It is a simple thing. The moon. All it is is a glowing ball that appears in the dead of the night to light our way in the absence of the sun.

A placeholder, sort of. 

While the sun is away, shining its light on another area of the world, the moon watches over us. A stand-in protector to keep the dark from catching up.

The thing is, we love the feel of the sun; we enjoy it to no end. The way it makes the world bright and kind-looking. Magical, even.

The moon… we forget to appreciate it. To take notice.

Staring at it now, though… I can’t stop thinking about how the moon is like you.

It’s so far away. Its light, gentle and soft. Hazy and washing the world in a silent glow.

Just like you.

You are my hazy light. My gentle and soft moon. Far away, yet close enough to make me love you. 

You made me appreciate the moon. Notice it and realize its importance.

It lights our way in darkness.

Guides us through streets and empty roads.

Bathes us in gentle white when we feel alone.

I may not be able to see it behind the clouds sometimes, but I always know it is there.

Just like you.

You, my love.

You are my moon.