The Secret | Teen Ink

The Secret

By Stephany Xu PLATINUM, Plano, Texas
Stephany Xu PLATINUM, Plano, Texas

He passed her in the hall. Her, in her tiny skirt, her sweet smile, her bright eyes. Just passed her, as if she didn’t exist. He walked 2 inches next to her, so close she could feel his heat upon her, and he just looked the other way and busied himself talking to someone else. When she stood up in front of the class, she made eye contact with everyone; she was good at that—uninhibited, unintimidated, undaunted. But he wouldn’t even look up, just kept scribbling something on his paper. She wondered if he was hearing her, if he could possibly respect her for her intellect. Maybe he would be impressed. All this was wishful thinking, of course. Their relationship was nothing for the sort, it didn’t involved respect. That would have ruined their “arrangement”. And if that was ruined, then the delicate balance of benign neglect and silent admiration would have been dissevered and thus the end of “them” would be brought.
And on she went on, like some sad little puppy, indebted to a master that never knew her pain. And she bore it, the burdens that drifted into her dreams, both those awake and those asleep. She wanted him to proud of her; to hold her hand, to hold her heart, to stand out and not be ashamed. But he was, and she could never change that. She couldn’t change the fact she brought out the worst in him, that she made him angry, and that her disposition changed his disposition bitter and cynical. That she seemed to crawl under skin and prick every last nerve and he ranted and screamed, hurt her. He didn’t trust her with his secrets even when she was the secret.
It was hard to pick: to be nothing, or to be nothing worthwhile. A rock and a hard place. The better of two evils. On the nights she slept alone, she could hear her heart cracking at the thought of him. On the nights she lay with him, she still wondered if he could her heart cracking. But he never noticed that her eyes glistened a bit with unborn tears, or the ways her hands shook when he touched his face. And every time, she left unsatisfied, and perhaps even a bit more empty than she came.
She cherished her poetry, and above all her poetry for him. She cherished her pictures, and above all her pictures for him. However, above the poetry and the pictures, she cherished her love for him, but he disregarded with a certain brutality that bit into her soul and occupied her constantly. And as he saw that love, he took it and ripped it to tiny shreds and took her body and violated everything ethereal about her.

inyourhead SILVER, Springs, Ohio
I agree!

starxoxo23 PLATINUM, New Hampshire, New Hampshire

"The creative is the place where no one else has ever been. You have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the wilderness of your intuition. What you'll discover will be wonderful. What you'll discover is yourself."
- Alan Alda

wow great job. you can tell that the main character is feeling a lot of pain, anger, and love all at the same time. this is great.

Softballsmarty BRONZE, Elbert, Colorado

Life's short, Talk fast. -Loralai Gilmore

I know how this goes. lol Great job!

xoxoLissieM SILVER, Manila, Other

"Stop acting dumb cause your usually the smart one and I'm the dumb one!"

wow!! excellent article:)

JustWriting BRONZE, Sao Paulo, Other
love your writing style! Amazing story too! i just don't get what they are to each other, i mean he sleeps with her but doesn't even look at her in the hall?

SilverLuna SILVER, _________, Washington

"Come fairies take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.".... W.B. Yeats.
"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Wow, this is so good. The character's perspective is really realistic on some base levels. I could really understand her emotions by the way to used metaphors with them. Great Job!(:

kpayy5 PLATINUM, Nantucket, Massachusetts
that was amazing. I felt the character's pain as if it were my own. That brought tears to my eyes. Excellent job! Continue writing, definitely.

1COR13 PLATINUM, Anchor Point, Alaska

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimmi Hendrix

Beautiful!

Thethingiseek BRONZE, N Las Vegas, Nevada

"May we continue not to judge man by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."- by
"The day we stopped fighting for eachother is the day we lost our humanity"-2012 movie
"No man is equivalent to the person next to him."me

As I read it I felt like I ripping with her..liki,like it was,me, I felt it. It made me feel sad almost to the point were I almost cried. Excellence.

EternalMadness GOLD, Fresno, California

They say it's what you make
I say it's up to fate
It's woven in my soul
I need to let you go
Your eyes, they shine so bright
I want to save their light
I can't escape this now
Unless you show me how
When you feel my heat
Look into my eyes
It’s where my demons hide

wow.. i could feel every ounce of pain seething through your characters.

you are brilliant

freedomfighter01 BRONZE, Greenword, Indiana

"When life hands you lemons, throw it through your neighbor's window."
-me-

wow! that was amazing.

romance_lover GOLD, Edmonton, Other
absolutely amazing..you should be proud :D

choirchic101 SILVER, Norwalk, California

in order for God to use all of you you have to be completely broken

i loved the story so much. it mad me feel the pain she was going through. i especially loved it

yourbiggestfan BRONZE, Cudahy, California
that was excellent. It made me sad, it

was fantastic.

unearthlyhaphazard GOLD, N/A, New York

"There are three rules for writing the novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."~W. Somerset Maugham

Wow. This was really excellent. I love the style of writing!

E.Lee GOLD said...
E.Lee GOLD, Akron, Ohio
soo good! i love it!!