Cupid's Arrow Hurts | Teen Ink

Cupid's Arrow Hurts

Joe has been going out with Katie for about a year. He asked her out during their high school’s homecoming. The party was big and was hosted in his school’s cafeteria. It almost seemed like yesterday to Joe when he asked Katie out. The lights were dark and the music was blasting at the party. When Joe saw Katie he automatically fell for her. When Katie looked back at him she fell for him too. The whole time they would glance at each other at the dance floor but never actually went towards each other. There were only 10 minutes left of the party and Joe couldn’t hold back. He went over and asked, “Hey you wanna dance?”
She hesitated for a second and then smiled saying, “Okay.”
As they danced the DJ spun a slow song as a grand finale. Joe and Katie looked at each other and nervously locked hands. Joe could barely look at Katie’s eyes directly. But when he did, he saw Katie smile real big and blush. He let go of her hands and put his hands around her waist. As he did that Katie put her arms around his neck.
Joe nervously then asked, “Do…do you want to go out with me?”
And just like her previous answer she said, “Okay.” And kissed him.
A year later passes, and they had great times, but Joe has been feeling neglected and unloved by Katie for the past few weeks. So he decided that he should say something to her to clear things up. He called Katie out after school and told to meet him at the cafeteria. The room was dark and empty as Joe waited. He started to feel butterflies in his stomach just like the time of Homecoming.

Katie walked into the cold cafeteria. She looked like a movie star but acted like a high school girl.
“Um Joe? You called me over right?” Katie’s voice echoed throughout the room.
“Yea I did, Katie you’ve been acting strange lately are you okay?” asked Joe. She didn’t respond and his voice echoed throughout the room. Joe started to get a little angry, “Ok Katie what’s wrong with you? Ever since our last date you’ve been acting differently and it’s been nagging at me for a while.”
“That’s the problem! The last time we went out was probably a month ago! You never have time to be with me!” Katie was practically crying. Her sobs were the only sounds in the room.
“It’s not like I don’t want to go out with you, I have a lot of school work and my parents have been on my back on grades,” said Joe under his breath. There was an awkward pause for a moment, and Joe started to feel uneasy.
“Are grades more important than me?” Katie’s voice was trembling. Her face was hard to see with the darkness of the room but her tears were visible. Joe couldn’t think of anything to say. Katie was trying to stop her tears so she covered her face with her sleeve.
“I’m sorry Katie….I don’t think we can go out anymore. I can’t return the feelings you have for me,” Joe said quietly. It was the only resort Joe had in mind. He couldn’t risk his grades and he wanted Katie to be happy and move on.

Katie started to cry profusely and knelt on the floor. Joe started to walk away and thought that it was for the best. When no one saw, he too covered his face and started to cry.

Sarahx15 PLATINUM, Brandon, South Dakota

"Someday everything will make perfect sense. So, for now, laugh at the confusion, smile through the tears, and keep reminding yourself that everything happens for a reason." - Art Thomas

This is so sad!! I like the way you wrote it, but why did he have to break up with her :)
Great job writing.