Daydreamer | Teen Ink

Daydreamer

August 28, 2009
By chelsead BRONZE, Marlette, Michigan
chelsead BRONZE, Marlette, Michigan
2 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Do not fear death, but rather the unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live."
-Tuck Everlasting


The days blur together. Hour after hour she sits on her porch swing, watching each day fade into the next. All she can make out are the colors--the bright green of the trees, the vivid blue of the sky, the gray of the overcast clouds, the shades of pink, purple, and yellow in the flowers around her. It was so easy to lose track of time in this haze that she was so sure would last forever; or at least that's what she told herself. It will never end. Never.


Another summer night. The fire danced, lightly leaping around and around, higher and higher. Embers glowing brightly around the bottom seemed to encourage the flames to jump to even greater heights as the dark smoke flew into the clear night sky. Her eyes stared unblinking into the dancing fire, hypnotized--daydreaming, lost. Of course, that was the way it always was anymore.


He grabbed her hand, holding it tightly. The fire and everyone around it disappeared in that instant. He pulled her pale face toward his, his bright blue eyes gazing intently into her own blue-green eyes. Smiling, he whispered into her ear, "Your eyes are just like you, Beth. They couldn't make up their mind so they decided on the best of both worlds." In spite of herself she smiled back at him, but he read her face as easily as if it was one of the many books she had hidden behind. His strong arms embraced her, and she held on as tightly as she could.


For years, she had dreamed of this. Now all she could do was look back on the years and wish for more. Her thoughts drifted back to the first time she fell off of her bike, and the tears that streamed down her face with that first sharp pain only to be wiped away by her father's caring hands. She felt the warm sunlight around her as she walked on the red dirt roads, laughing and talking with her sisters. She heard her heart pounding in her ears the first time she had ever snuck out of the house to meet her best friend. The memories came from everywhere, surrounding her, crushing her. And now there was him.


He led her away from the bonfire. Standing by his white truck, he gently kissed her forehead. "This is not goodbye," he asserted, drawing her closer. He let go slowly, and then, without a word, he leapt into the driver's seat, leaning out of the window as he said, "I'll see you later, my little daydreamer." Then he drove away, into an uncertain world. The tears slid slowly down her face, but she simply let them fall, refusing to wipe them away.


Her van was packed, ready for her in the morning. Another path lay before her, a future that only she could make for herself. She had always dreamed of this. So why could she only dream now of the beautiful world that danced in his eyes?


Her dreams were obscured somehow, and they too were drifting away . . .



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 80 comments.


on Feb. 14 2011 at 12:40 pm
mistaken_laughter PLATINUM, Alvin, Texas
21 articles 0 photos 44 comments

Favorite Quote:
"There are three rules to writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are." W. Somerset Maugham

Beautiful, I loved the imagery! I did get a little confused on her eyes, maybe that could be better explained. Overall though, wonderful!

(check out my work, please)


tanaya BRONZE said...
on Feb. 10 2011 at 6:12 pm
tanaya BRONZE, Edison, New Jersey
4 articles 0 photos 21 comments
That was.....amazing!

on Jan. 1 2011 at 6:21 pm
PoetLaureate07 PLATINUM, Aberdeen, Mississippi
32 articles 0 photos 246 comments

Favorite Quote:
To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing..

this is beautiful!! absolutely wonderful!! great work... great imagination.. simply fantastic work!! I love this!! please, check out my work.. i believe you'll like it.. but i simply love this!!!

on Jan. 1 2011 at 5:14 pm
SoftballismylifeBobo5 SILVER, Byron, New York
5 articles 0 photos 27 comments

Favorite Quote:
those who mind dont matter those who matter dont mind; you will always miss 100% of the shots you dont take; forget the risk take the fall if its what you want its worth it all<3

wow :)

on Dec. 10 2010 at 2:59 pm
KaylynVictoria SILVER, Breaux Bridge, Louisiana
5 articles 0 photos 77 comments

Favorite Quote:
Always keep your head up so you never have an excuse to look down at yourself(:

i went to your profile and see you didnt post any work... i hope you do...

 


on Dec. 10 2010 at 1:10 pm
Trevon336910 BRONZE, Greensboro, North Carolina
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Be wary in love, for the heart is fragile.

Great, i enjoyed reading this.

on Nov. 18 2010 at 12:49 pm
Lacey1025 SILVER, Saint Helens, Oregon
8 articles 0 photos 14 comments
i agree with the van part!... A little strange, made me wonder though.

on Oct. 27 2010 at 7:05 pm
squalur996 GOLD, Henderson, Nevada
10 articles 3 photos 43 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If death meant just leaving the stage long enough to change costume and come back as a new character....would you slow down? Or speed up?
-- Chuck Palanick

awesome description.  It was greatly emotional.

 


cupcake1o1 said...
on Oct. 20 2010 at 8:45 am

omqq this is a beautiful story (:

it almost made me cry


on Oct. 5 2010 at 7:17 pm
communicativedistractions PLATINUM, Fall City, Washington
25 articles 0 photos 31 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I miss you like an alcoholic misses toothpaste."

Really good! Her jumping into a van randomly in the morning was kind of odd but the bonfire scene was great :)

Rico123 said...
on Oct. 5 2010 at 2:41 pm
Rico123, Summerville, South Carolina
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment
I loved this story! You are an exalent writer. I could feel the tender emotions within this story! Keep up the beutiful work!

on Aug. 22 2010 at 4:07 pm
skyblue95 PLATINUM, Bear, Delaware
35 articles 1 photo 40 comments

Favorite Quote:
I am paraphrasing, of course. "My only fear is that when they are turned to loving they will find we are turned to hating." -Reverand Msimangu, Cry, The Beloved Country (a book by Alan Paton)

I really liked this article. I think you're amazingly talented. The only thing I was confused about at first was if she was going away or him or what. But other than other than that, great work! And anyone who sees this, could you please check out my romance article? It's called The Choice I Made and I would really like to see what people think about it. Thanks!

on Aug. 22 2010 at 2:22 pm
booknerd BRONZE, Robinson, Texas
3 articles 0 photos 18 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Reality is merely an illusion. Albeit a very persistant one."















-Einstein

I really liked your descriptions. Your writing style is really beautiful! If you could, would you check out my work? I need some ratings and comments. It's called sunshine.

WritingNinj4 said...
on Jul. 9 2010 at 11:11 pm
WritingNinj4, Tulsa, Oklahoma
0 articles 2 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
I am not a morning person. . . . .

 I luved it it was Awesome!!

a.m.f BRONZE said...
on Jun. 17 2010 at 7:50 pm
a.m.f BRONZE, Gainesville, Florida
3 articles 12 photos 97 comments

Favorite Quote:
"God never shuts a door unless he opens another."

I like this.  I especially like how you didn't overuse the dialogue.  :)  Anyone with spare time, I need ratings on my short story Scratching Stones and comments. Thanks.

on Jun. 17 2010 at 10:15 am
OfficialApprover PLATINUM, Orefield, Pennsylvania
48 articles 0 photos 1752 comments

Favorite Quote:
Grab life by the balls. -Slobberknocker
We cannot change the cards we're dealt just how we play the hand
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted
It's pretty easy to be smart when you're parroting smart people
-Randy Pausch

Wow, this was awesome!  Amazing piece, great descriptions and style.  I loved it!  Please write more.

Btw, anyone who sees this, will you check out and comment on my work?


on Jun. 17 2010 at 8:36 am
brown.sugar BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 28 comments

Favorite Quote:
i lovin it

i liked your piece, it had a short ending but it was still good. just one question:Did Beth had one green eye and one blue eye or was they juust mixed in.

iDon'tCare said...
on Jun. 17 2010 at 5:49 am
this was good except for one thing. u know when u say "that was the way it always was anymore"? I think u mean "that's the way it always is now." or soemthing like that. i just didn't get that sentence. but i think if u explain it i'll get it. otherwise, awesome piece!

on Jun. 14 2010 at 1:37 pm
JamieStarr GOLD, Sevierville, Tennessee
11 articles 0 photos 54 comments

Favorite Quote:
o! thats why i love you. :) i love you.

ur welcome :)

on Jun. 13 2010 at 8:29 pm
chelsead BRONZE, Marlette, Michigan
2 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Do not fear death, but rather the unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live."
-Tuck Everlasting

Thanks so much everyone for the wonderful comments! :) I was trying to paint the picture of a high school romance. He stayed at home while she had to go to college, and she was worried about the outcome. Thanks again for the support!