Daydreamer | Teen Ink

Daydreamer

By chelsead BRONZE, Marlette, Michigan
chelsead BRONZE, Marlette, Michigan

"Do not fear death, but rather the unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live."
-Tuck Everlasting

The days blur together. Hour after hour she sits on her porch swing, watching each day fade into the next. All she can make out are the colors--the bright green of the trees, the vivid blue of the sky, the gray of the overcast clouds, the shades of pink, purple, and yellow in the flowers around her. It was so easy to lose track of time in this haze that she was so sure would last forever; or at least that's what she told herself. It will never end. Never.

Another summer night. The fire danced, lightly leaping around and around, higher and higher. Embers glowing brightly around the bottom seemed to encourage the flames to jump to even greater heights as the dark smoke flew into the clear night sky. Her eyes stared unblinking into the dancing fire, hypnotized--daydreaming, lost. Of course, that was the way it always was anymore.

He grabbed her hand, holding it tightly. The fire and everyone around it disappeared in that instant. He pulled her pale face toward his, his bright blue eyes gazing intently into her own blue-green eyes. Smiling, he whispered into her ear, "Your eyes are just like you, Beth. They couldn't make up their mind so they decided on the best of both worlds." In spite of herself she smiled back at him, but he read her face as easily as if it was one of the many books she had hidden behind. His strong arms embraced her, and she held on as tightly as she could.

For years, she had dreamed of this. Now all she could do was look back on the years and wish for more. Her thoughts drifted back to the first time she fell off of her bike, and the tears that streamed down her face with that first sharp pain only to be wiped away by her father's caring hands. She felt the warm sunlight around her as she walked on the red dirt roads, laughing and talking with her sisters. She heard her heart pounding in her ears the first time she had ever snuck out of the house to meet her best friend. The memories came from everywhere, surrounding her, crushing her. And now there was him.

He led her away from the bonfire. Standing by his white truck, he gently kissed her forehead. "This is not goodbye," he asserted, drawing her closer. He let go slowly, and then, without a word, he leapt into the driver's seat, leaning out of the window as he said, "I'll see you later, my little daydreamer." Then he drove away, into an uncertain world. The tears slid slowly down her face, but she simply let them fall, refusing to wipe them away.

Her van was packed, ready for her in the morning. Another path lay before her, a future that only she could make for herself. She had always dreamed of this. So why could she only dream now of the beautiful world that danced in his eyes?

Her dreams were obscured somehow, and they too were drifting away . . .

Rosalie PLATINUM, Maryville, Tennessee

-you have many to learn but nothing to lose.
-the hardest thing to do is watch the one you love, love someone else...
-good girls are bad girls that dont get caught.

i love this!

it is soooooooooo beautiful!

This is beautiful, I absolutely love it!

It was the perfect length too, just one moment in someone's life.

wildflowers said...
wildflowers, Irvine, California

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain." -Anonymous

I am speechless.

This is a beautiful work of art!

chelsead BRONZE, Marlette, Michigan

-Tuck Everlasting

Hey, thanks for the comment =] This is just a short story and not a book but I hope to write a novel someday!

chelsead BRONZE, Marlette, Michigan

-Tuck Everlasting

MirandaB BRONZE, New Albany, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

1. men kick friendship around like a football, but it doesn't seem tp crack. women treat it like glass and it goes to pieces.
2. the friend is the man who knows all about you, and still likes you.

WoW! By just readign that little bit i am defenitly going to go get this book and read it!

daisy:) SILVER said...
daisy:) SILVER, Russellville, Kentucky
I have such a respect for people who can make simple words into such an elaborate piece like that! Wow! It just left me breathless... please check out my writing and give me some feedback, I'd really appreciate it! And keep writing...

traveler03 GOLD, San Juan, Texas

Living is nothing. Dreaming is something.

That was an amazing imagery:) you're really good when it comes to capturing a scene

Alicia-Turner BRONZE, Bradenton, Florida

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us most. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and famous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in all of us. And when we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

Amazing imagery:)

LegacyPen BRONZE, Hudson, Massachusetts

(my continued bio) Infinity, or Destiny of Infinity on here, is a total of 82,860 word count. I am in the editing process.

Wow! I loved the imagery! It really portrayed the romance part of this story well! There was one sentence that didn't make too much sense, but that is something that can easily be fixed ;)

nachos_loving_dork SILVER, New Hyde Park, New York

Passion isn't the key to success. It does not guarantee greatness. It simply keeps you sane while you work your butt off.

i love this! it inspires me to write more metaphorically in my work like you did. Keep up the good work!

jaquetem BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio

Get up and Raise your Voice!

oh my god, this is beautiful. great job!

seapenguin said...
seapenguin, Healdsburg, California

I'm a super hero, but with no powers or motivation.

Bravo! This was really good. :) They broke up, right? I can relate in Beth, in a way. Sadly. Great writing!

on Sep. 26 2009 at 7:16 am
EHunt96 PLATINUM, Swampscott, Massachusetts

"Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about."

Great article!!!!!

I can connect with 'Beth' in this.

Keep writing!

Ashlynrae BRONZE, Abilene, Texas

"I didn't know I was making history,
I was just tired of giving in."
--- Rosa Parks

Thanks so much!

chelsead BRONZE, Marlette, Michigan

-Tuck Everlasting

Thanks to everyone!

Ashlynrae: I checked out your poetry and I really loved it--they were all so cute, simple, and to the point. :)

Ashlynrae BRONZE, Abilene, Texas

"I didn't know I was making history,
I was just tired of giving in."
--- Rosa Parks

I love the line about her eyes not making up their mind. So cute. Keep writing! Check out my work please! I would love the feedback!

ResistMe PLATINUM, New Tazewell, Tennessee
This was really interesting.

And so cute!

More?

please?

I loved.:).

on Sep. 7 2009 at 6:13 am
ZebraWithoutStripes ELITE, Blue Springs, Missouri

To make a difference in the world, you have to be different from the world.

this is beautiful.

Jaquie BRONZE said...
Jaquie BRONZE, West Palm Beach, Florida

This is certainly one of my favorites: "I will become even more undignified than this, and I will be humiliated in my own eyes." -2 Samuel 6:22

Wow. I can really since the inner termoil in this. It's wonderful. You're really talented.

God bless,

...,