"I love you." | Teen Ink

"I love you."

September 20, 2009
By unwrittenlove DIAMOND, Mount Berry, Georgia
unwrittenlove DIAMOND, Mount Berry, Georgia
61 articles 11 photos 153 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, its yours forever. If it dosent, then it was never meant to be" -anonymous


“Just trust me.” Cody kept his voice low. I laughed again and walked in the direction he told me to. When my toes finally touched sand, Cody took his hands away. We took our shoes off and left them by the road. I walked up to the water and closed my eyes as the water lapped at my feet. Cody walked up and stood beside me.

“What are you thinking about?” he murmured. A tingle ran up my spine as I answered.

“I’m thinking about the time we first met,” I whispered back.

“Do you remember that long back?”

“Yeah,” I admitted. “Didn’t it go like…?”

----------------


I set out my peanut butter and jelly sandwich on the napkin beside my chocolate pudding. I was just about to take a bite when I heard footsteps come up behind me.

“Move. I want that seat.” I turned to see the boy who just spoke to me. He was tall for his age and had shaggy black hair that hung down in front of eyes. He flipped the hair out of his eyes so I could see his eyes. They were a dark green. I glared at him.

“No,” I commented. I went back to eating my sandwich. Suddenly, I felt a shove and I fell on the ground. My mom always said I was a strong, independent girl; so I pushed myself up and swung around to face him. “Get. Out. Of. My. Seat.”

“No,” he repeated, so I pushed him back. He fell on his face and I slid back into my seat. As he pulled himself up and glanced at him. He stared at me for a moment and then smiled. “You’re okay kid. I’m Cody.”

“I’m Jennifer but you can call me Jen.” I grinned at him as he sat down beside me. I handed him half of my sandwich.

“I think we are going to be best friends Jen,” he laughed and bit into his sandwich.

-------------------

“I still can’t believe that was first grade,” Cody sat down beside me as I pulled my knees up to my chest.

“I know right?” I took a glance at him. He was staring out at the sea with a thoughtful look on his face. “What are you thinking about?” He smiled at me; his eyes were gleaming.

“Do you really want to know?” when I nodded he looked back at the ocean. “I was remembering our first kiss.” I giggled remembering too.

“Wasn’t it in sixth grade?” I turned to him.

“Yeah,” he said. “We were…”

-------------------

We were still best friends. Even though Jen and I had a lot of fights, we never stopped being friends. Everyone in our class was kissing but us. Katie came to me one day at lunch.

“Everyone is giving me crap about having virgin lips,” she complained sitting down on the lawn beside me.

“Virgin lips?” I chuckled. She glared at me and I stopped, looking back at my friends on the playground.

“It gets so annoying,” She wailed and buried her face in her arms. I sighed dramatically and put my hand on her shoulder.

“Jen,” I poked her but she didn’t budge. “Jen,” I said even louder. She looked up and I could see tears streaming down her face. Her mascara was ruined; she had just begun to use a little makeup-her mom only allowed lip gloss and mascara- so she looked like a raccoon.

“What?” her voice broke and I put my hand on her cheek. She froze in place. I hesitated in the way a man hesitates before a kiss. Then I leaned in and pressed my lips to her frozen ones. As I slowly pulled back I could feel the eyes of the entire sixth grade on us. Jen stared at me wide-eyed and I took my hand away. I stood up and got ready to go play basketball when I heard her whisper, “Thanks.”

-------------------

“Let’s go; it’s getting late.” My voice broke on the last word. I wiped my tears on my arm but they kept coming down.

“Jen, are you crying?” I could hear Cody’s voice, frantic as he reached out to me. I pulled back, scared.

“No, I’m fine,” I quickly answered but a sob escaped me, giving me away. I crumpled to the ground and cried. “I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay,” Cody’s voice was right beside me now. “Sit up Jen.” I obeyed and he sat up beside me.

“It’s just been so long.” I leaned against his strong shoulder fitting into him like I always belonged.

“I know,” he whispered and I looked out onto the horizon. The colors of the sunset popped out at me. The vibrant oranges, purples, yellows, and reds didn’t seem to fit my mood. Suddenly, I sat up alarmed. “What’s wrong?”

“I have to go,” I felt a rush of déjà-vu as I seized my purse and ran away. I ran away from him, the memories, and the love I used to have.

-------------------

I watched her run away with graceful movements, some that I cannot even manage. Her dark brown hair flew out from behind her as she rounded the corner and moved towards the boat. I felt broken inside. It felt just like the day I left her at the airport. I realized that she had taken half of me with her. But I couldn’t love her; I love Emily. I stalked off in concentration towards the boat.

On my way there I was seized by small arms that wrapped around my waist. I turned to look at Emily who had a huge smile on her face. I contrasted her with Jen. Emily was short in everything; her height was five foot even, her blonde hair hung straight, cut at her chin, every day, and her hands can barely touch my hair. Jen was totally different. She was a tall 5’9”, she had long lithe arms and legs, and her eyes shined with excitement every time I laugh or smile at her. I leaned down to Emily’s level to hear her voice.

“I love you,” her wind chime voice declared.

“I love you too,” I said back before I kissed her. But there was something in the back of my mind telling me that I didn’t.


The author's comments:
I am writnign a love novel and this is an exerpt from it. Hope you like it

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 140 comments.


on Nov. 4 2011 at 1:43 pm
Musicalartist, Xxxxx, Other
0 articles 0 photos 144 comments

really good, but in the second memory, it says katie.  is that a typo?

 


on Oct. 21 2011 at 12:50 pm
mikkigirl2012 SILVER, Tupelo, Mississippi
9 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
1.) G.I.R.: CHICKEN! I'm gonna eat you!
2.) G.I.R.: [disguised as a dog] MEOW!
3.) G.I.R.: I'm gonna sing the Doom Song now. G.I.R.: Doom doom doom...
4.) I am who I am no approval needed

I agree with the others!! Please please oh please finish this piece of writing.... So far its amazing... Please continue Cody and Jen's story!!!! PLEASE!! I <3 it so far....

on Oct. 13 2011 at 10:05 pm
Iggy_Fang112 BRONZE, Daytona Beach, Florida
2 articles 0 photos 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.

And

Pain is inevitable; Suffering is optional

PLEASE finish it! its so awesome! i love it! 

on Oct. 13 2011 at 6:17 pm
XxilybbyxX SILVER, Saginaw, Michigan
5 articles 0 photos 40 comments

Favorite Quote:
Sometimes we build up walls, not to keep people out; but to see who cares enough to break them down.

have to finishs this!!!!!! it is amazing!!!!!! i love it!!!!!!

clare12 BRONZE said...
on Oct. 13 2011 at 3:31 pm
clare12 BRONZE, Spalding, Other
3 articles 0 photos 6 comments
that was really good, the ending was so sad it nearly made me cry , u are a great writter :)

on Oct. 13 2011 at 12:18 pm
blakrose PLATINUM, Anchorage, Alaska
29 articles 5 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
"the biggest mistake you can make in life is to give up." - Rebekah Hanson
"think outside the shoe." - Jessica Cox
"angel wings break, so fly while you can." - Rose Smith

PLEASE WRITE MORE!

on Sep. 21 2011 at 7:22 pm
RosesRme BRONZE, Seminole, Florida
4 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby."
-Ruth E. Renkel

D:

Nooooooooooo! 

D':

I WANT TO READ THE REST!!


on Aug. 8 2011 at 3:37 pm
MiNdLeSsLuVeRgIrL BRONZE, Kenly, North Carolina
4 articles 0 photos 120 comments

Favorite Quote:
If you love something let it go, if it comes back its yours if it doesn't, it never was!

Very nice!!! keep writing

on Jun. 25 2011 at 7:44 pm
AlyssaFama SILVER, Kunkletown, Pennsylvania
5 articles 0 photos 60 comments

Favorite Quote:
Most people want to be the sun that brightens your day. I'd rather be the moon that shines down on you in your darkest hour.

this definitely had a twist! from the begining i though it was going to end differently. i liked the way you twisted it, though. really nice!

fizza98 said...
on Jun. 25 2011 at 12:31 am
in every para the narrator changes so the story is quite hard to understand. but keep poating lovely stories. :)

rosierose said...
on Jun. 3 2011 at 10:04 pm
yeah okay, that's what I thought it might be and no problem :)

on Jun. 3 2011 at 8:29 pm
unwrittenlove DIAMOND, Mount Berry, Georgia
61 articles 11 photos 153 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, its yours forever. If it dosent, then it was never meant to be" -anonymous

Thanks for the feedback. It was accidentally a typo when I said Katie. It was really supposed to be Jen's name there. And if you reread it, you should be able to tell that parts of the story are flashbacks from Jen and Cody's childhood. And I didn't mean for it to be like iCarly. I didn't think about it until I re-watched the episode. :/ Sorry about that. 

rosierose said...
on Jun. 3 2011 at 6:30 pm
it was really good, except the first part was, like, exactly from Icarly. maybe you didn't mean it that way, but just saying. and secondly, first you said her name was Jen, then Katie, then there was this other girl named Emily. Why was Cody kissing Jen when he Emily's telling him he's in love with him? Just kinda confused me there

on May. 1 2011 at 1:53 am
Dango-chan BRONZE, Digos City, Other
3 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
Writing is my escape from reality.

good job.. i want to know hwat happens next.. :)

on Apr. 20 2011 at 11:55 pm
JustBelieve SILVER,
7 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A time will come when you think everything is done.....that will be the beginning."

I feel like there should be a next part to the story! You have to keep write because this is amazing!

on Apr. 20 2011 at 4:06 pm
midnightsilence PLATINUM, Hilltowns, Massachusetts
25 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
There are consequences for your actions

I was literally near tears when I read this.  It was so well written and heartfelt.  Your work brought back memories of a boy I no longer talk to, but who has my heart still. You know just how to connect.  Great job!!!

KelseyLei GOLD said...
on Mar. 29 2011 at 5:24 pm
KelseyLei GOLD, Seffner, Florida
19 articles 1 photo 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition!"- Marilyn Monroe

Oh my lord this is amazing! please write this into a book!!!!! and let me know the title of it, i will be the first to buy it! AMAZING! it touched my heart beacuse thats how me and my best guy friend since kindergarten are!! I LOVED IT!!!!! :)

on Mar. 7 2011 at 1:53 pm
PoetryGirl13 BRONZE, Cobden, Illinois
2 articles 3 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
You don't love somebody because of their looks, clothes or car. You love them because they sing a song that nobody but you can understand.

I totally agree with yasmina.tabbal. You should totally make this into a novel, it made me so sad though. I realy wanted to cry for Jen. So sad. But so great.

on Feb. 16 2011 at 12:18 pm
yasmina.tabbal GOLD, Beirut, Other
10 articles 0 photos 26 comments

Favorite Quote:
You can get arrested for wearing those colors - Zach, A Chorus Line

Yeah honestly. Because as a short story, it's not as captivating as a novel might be. Like as a novel, you could make as such a memoir of your character, a girl he met, how they fell in love, every event.. in order... Then you could show their fights and etc... How she moves or they graduate or anything, and then after that make a part 2 of what happens next, and in that include Emily and the young lovers day at the beach. I truly advise you :) Fingers crossed :)

on Feb. 13 2011 at 7:48 pm
unwrittenlove DIAMOND, Mount Berry, Georgia
61 articles 11 photos 153 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, its yours forever. If it dosent, then it was never meant to be" -anonymous

Actually, it started out as a novel...I just never finished it. Do you really think I should?