Breakup Advice | Teen Ink

Breakup Advice

After those amazing relationships end, you have to ask yourself how things will continue. If you broke up with your partner, you must either be unhappy with them, mad at them, tired of them, or some other circumstance. So, if it is you who breaks up with the other, stop and think. As one single person, you don't have any idea what the other might go through. One moment to you is completely different that that of another. For example, you might go on a date and have the time of your life, oblivious to that fact that the one you care for is about to slit their wrists in boredom.
Just and example.
But that is something that you can relate to a breakup. You might think that things are better off without the other. They might be tripping and falling behind you, trying to catch up and get you back. It happens a lot, and these breakups are the worst. I myself went through one. And I've scraped my knees so much over these past to years tripping and falling after her(yes, two years. She's so beautiful I can't stop thinking about her). I've found out the the first and most important thing you can do to stay out of those horrible, bad break ups, is to forget. Easier said then done, right? Well, there is only one way to completely get over such a thing. Overwrite the memories that the two of you shared. Now, people call this a rebound, but isn't every boyfriend/girlfriend after the first a rebound? You must make better memories with this person. Have a greater time, and think about the new things you share rather then all the things you used to share with the other. Take it from me, with time, almost everything is mendable.

COMMENT AND WRITE YOUR OWN STORY BACK!

White_Shadow BRONZE, Putnam, Illinois

"A life without cause is a life without effect." - Unknown

hey, i said easier said then done, lol. And it helped me. There are ALWAYS exceptions. I still love the way my ex ex ex looks haha. she's too beautiful. i couldn't stop if i tried haha

ZiRaww! SILVER said...
ZiRaww! SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona

“Giving up doesn’t always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go. ”

I only wish this was as easy as you make it seem. I am still head over heals for my ex who I haven't seen in eight months.... Dating other guys is not helping out my problem because they are not him...

White_Shadow BRONZE, Putnam, Illinois

haha thanks! and whoa whoa whoa, ur teacher read this to you? lol

*SHMS_chick* BRONZE, Lakeland, Florida

Martin Luther King, Jr. - "Darkness cannot drive out darkness:only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that. The beauty of nonviolence is that in it's own way and in it's own time it seeks to break the chain of evil"

I would like to say that i liked it, but when i first read it, it was read to me....by my teacher... after i broke up with my boyfriend and started dating another several days after. it was very uncomfortable because my ex was sitting in the room and he had been continuously looking at me, but back to the point....i really liked it!

CylasPalacios GOLD, Macomb, Illinois
Did i finish the whole thing? NO

But i totally agree w/ what you have to say! :)

David said...
Im going threw the same thing. the girl i love so much left me. i dont know what to do i cant stop thinking about her. i even tried doing what my friends say, move and and date other people. but still i cant get her out of my mind

lollipop18 said...
marina9, i have been though the exact same situation. the thing you have to realize is that if he says he doesn't love you, then he doesn't appreciate you. sounds like this has been a long ordeal. if through all this he still hasn't woken up to the gem you are, if he doesn't feel lucky to be with someone as amazing as you- then he never will. Don't get back together with him. Don't try to smooth things over- he will only manipulate you back to where you were. the best thing you can do is to sever all emotional ties- even friendship. you are to fragile to handle it at this point. This is what i'm doing, and it helps, though every day is still hard. I hope that helped :)

White_Shadow BRONZE, Putnam, Illinois

hmm. well, it sounds selfish, but you have to do what you feel like you need to do. Being caught in the past over and over is not something i would advise. There are always plenty more fish in the sea, although that depends how far along you are. Grade school, high school, college *college being the largest opportunity*. You should just do what you feel is right for you, whether its hooking up and breaking up with the same guy over and over until your graves lie a few feet apart in your last argument, or find another guy and see if those pastures are any greener.

White_Shadow BRONZE, Putnam, Illinois

well, i'm guessing this guy you are dating is really, nice, right? And were you friends first, or just some somewhat random guy that you found you liked and began dating?

kodyz_angel PLATINUM, Onsted, Michigan

if happiness seems more like a fantasy than a reality its because the tears are blinding you from the light that is trying to shine through
by:me

wow. i kind of wish it was that simple. ive been breaking up and going back out with this one guy alot. weve broken up like 4 times. and everytime i start to feel really alone and then i want him back even if i like other guys. like right now i really like this other guy but i just got back with my boyfriend. idk what 2 do. its really hard to let go. and i really dont want to hurt him. :(

Secret_Love_Tells GOLD, Harrisonburg, Virginia

"I love you more than the sun loves the sky and the moon loves the stars" --my best friend
"Do it for love." --sark
"One does not succeed in never falling but in getting back up evertime they do so."- Confucius

I'm honestly confused about my boyfriend right now. I don't really feally anything for him anymore but I don't want to hurt him. I feel like I'm making hang on and hope that I'll get over the mountain I'm climbing. The thing is, is that I really like this other guy that I have so much more in common with. I don't know what to do.

sydney_hope GOLD, Round Rock, Texas
That was...amazing. I wish you'd send me the rest when you finish :) thank you

White_Shadow BRONZE, Putnam, Illinois

and thanks! this was originally my first work on here and it was sort of a test, so i didn't put all that much time into it *one sit-down* and it snow balled into this magnificent attention getter that i hadn't even have begun to have hoped for! so spelling wasn't my first concern haha! but thank you. I tend to type to get the idea out faster than i can type and get it out the right way :)

onehandoneheart, San Marino, California

"In Paris they simply stared when I spoke to them in French; I never did succeed in making those idiots understand their language." - Mark Twain

but great, great work otherwise! best of luck, my friend :)

onehandoneheart, San Marino, California

Yeah I agree with silylily about the whole spelling thing.

onehandoneheart, San Marino, California

Hope that helps a bit?

onehandoneheart, San Marino, California

Obviously it's not the most important part of writing, but it's good to just keep an eye out. :)

onehandoneheart, San Marino, California

But just some constructive criticism... Watch your spelling.

onehandoneheart, San Marino, California

good story i enjoyed reading it :)

onehandoneheart, San Marino, California

Well I thought that this piece was really interesting, but I probably won’t give it a five out of five. It’s just not my type of story, but props for being creative!