The Silent Home | Teen Ink

The Silent Home

October 12, 2009
By Diabetic_Wonder GOLD, Michigan Center, Michigan
Diabetic_Wonder GOLD, Michigan Center, Michigan
14 articles 11 photos 25 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is better than your dreams" ---- Dr. Seuss


The Silent Home


Eek! The sound of the rusting handle was the only thing heard in the old, silent, upstairs bathroom.
*
*
*

Eek! The sound of the cold being turned on, only slightly, though, fore she wanted hot water; not warm.
*
*
*

Steam engulfed around her as she stepped into the old, stained shower/tub. This was her way to escape the world, to free herself from the burdens of everyday life.
*
*
*

Gulp! She swallowed her tears. The hot water sent a chill through her body, making her shiver, making her remember.
*
*
*

As she reached for the body wash, she felt his hand on her wrist and forearm and had to fight back the tears once more.
*
*
*

Ssssss! Cold water was now hitting the hot shower door, making it sizzle, making her see everything she didn’t want to.
*
*
*

Eek! Eek! More rust was twisted away as she turned the water off, ever-so-gently, acting like she would disturb something if she turned it off too fast or too hard.
*
*
*

Drip! Drip! Drip! Water hits the floor of the tub as she wraps a towel around her clothesless body.
*
*
*

Steam had completely taken over the room, fogging the mirrors and window, allowing her to see nothing; nothing at all.
*
*
*

Creek! Creek! Creek! Floor boards moaned while she stepped across the hall to her bedroom, only to find the usually kept bed a mess of sheets and pillows; her floor covered in dirty clothes she has neglected to wash. The full body mirror she once loved shattered and cracked. Everything she normally did was slowly unraveling; unraveling slowly.
*
*
*

Creek! Squeak! Creek! The wood moans with protest as she opens the closet door slowly. Her dark grey eyes scan the empty hangers and shelves, looking for something to wear. But all her clothes have been worn and were now lying on the floor.
*
*
*

Tap! Tap! Tap! She turns to the window, hoping to see him sitting on a branch, wanting to get in. But to her disappointment, it is only a branch, hitting the window, swaying from the wind.
*
*
*

Dropping her towel and putting on one of his old T-shirts, she grabs a dark red pen. Why did you leave me? She writes, hoping, NO praying his sprit was there, waiting to answer.
*
*
*

Tick! Tick! Tick! Time moves slowly as she watches the pen. Nothing happens.
*
*
*

Tock! Tock! Tock! Slowly, she lets her tears fall in grief. She still can’t believe he’s gone. She still can’t believe he would ever leaver he like he did.
*
*
*

Everything was perfect until he died. Now everything was just ruined! Things would never go back to normal for her.
*
*
*

Ck! The sound of the final piece of her heart breaking in two, was the only thing heard in the silent home.


The author's comments:
I wrote this artical for my friend.