A Crooked Kind of Fairytale | Teen Ink

A Crooked Kind of Fairytale

February 25, 2010
By xLoVeLyCuTiEe428x PLATINUM, Nanuet, New York
xLoVeLyCuTiEe428x PLATINUM, Nanuet, New York
24 articles 0 photos 102 comments

Favorite Quote:
"To me, Fearless is not the absense of fear. It's not being completely unafraid. To me, Fearless is having fears. Fearless is having doubts. Lots of them. To me, Fearless is living in spite of those things that scare you to death."
— Taylor Swift


His name is Jake. He and I have been together for exactly two and a half months. The love we share for each other is relentless and perfect.

The night of the Fairytale Dance, Jake approached me, shyly, asking if I would like to dance. I did. After we danced to that song, we exchanged phone numbers and talked to each other. The very next day he called me back and asked me on a date. I said yes, of course.

The relationship Jake and I have is unrealistic at times. We rarely ever argue. It's like I'm in a fairytale, and because I'm with Jake, I love it.

At 3:00 P.M., I was standing outside in front of our high school, waiting for Jake. He was late, which was unlike him. Usually we met right after classes ended. When I spotted Jake, he wasn't alone. He was with Kate, and they were talking and laughing. She leaned in to kiss Jake, and I started running. Jake must have spotted me because I heard him screaming, "Elena, wait!" But I didn't. I didn't need an explanation. Instead, I ran to the park, swinging on the swings alone.

I looked at my watch. It said 5:45 P.M., which, I decided, couldn't be right. I looked around, and sure enough, it was dark, the sun beginning to set. When I looked at the swing next to me, I had to do a double-take. I thought I had seen Jake, and, I quickly realized, I had.

"You didn't give me a chance to explain," Jake began, kicking the woodchips.
"What were you going to say?" I asked. "I had all ready seen enough. I got the message. Trust me."
"It wasn't what you think it was," Jake sighed. "Kate and I were just talking and then... well, then she tried to kiss me. It was completely out of line and surprised me."
"Really?" I asked, surprised. "You mean you aren't going out with Kate?"
"Nope," Jake said, "and why would I? I have one the most amazing girls I have ever met right here." He rested his hand on my leg. "So what do you say we forget this ever happened?"
I smiled. "It sounds good."

I realized later that maybe the relationship Jake and I shared wasn't a complete fairytale. There were flaws, but somehow, that made it all the more realistic and perfect. So maybe our relationship wasn't a fairytale entirely, I decided, but instead it was a crooked kind of fairytale, and I loved it just the way it was.


The author's comments:
True love isn't always perfect, but sometimes it's the imperfections that make it seem so perfect to us.