Colorado Sunshine | Teen Ink

Colorado Sunshine

By mylifeisabeautifulcomedy BRONZE, Colorado Springs, Colorado
mylifeisabeautifulcomedy BRONZE, Colorado Springs, Colorado

"If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission." ~Unknown

The boy walked up behind her, her short blonde hair shining delicately in the autumn sun. He cared about her so much, but he knew she liked someone else. They had been the best of friends for years now, but she had always been dating some guy or another. She was beautiful, her sparkling blue eyes lighting up every time she laughed her musical laughter, or smiled her enchanting smile.

Now, their families were on a small vacation together, spending the week camping at a park high up in the Colorado Rockies. She was sitting on a small secluded rock in a small alcove on the edge of the lake. Her back was toward him, and he was just content to watch her. She was journaling, as she so often did; biting her pencil, and then returning it to the page to scribble a few more lines. He loved her so much, but was too terrified to tell her.

He didn’t deserve her anyway. Honestly, he didn’t think anyone did. Not the jerks she dated, or the guys she rejected. She was stubborn and independent, and he loved her for it. He loved the way she wasn’t afraid to stand up for her friends or what she believed in. She was so brave, while he barely got up enough courage to, every so often, remind her how beautiful she was.

She turned to him for everything. One of his favorite memories of her was the time she had asked him to come over to her house at midnight. His phone had rung at a quarter till midnight, and he had bolted awake to answer it. Her quarterback boyfriend had cheated on her, and she was heartbroken. She was crying, and between the sobs, she had managed to say, “Please come over. My parents are away, and I don’t want to be alone. I need you.” So many times after that had he wished she would say those last three words one more time.

He had snuck out of his bedroom window, and arrived at her front door to find her in her pajamas, face red and blotchy from crying. She had rushed into his arms, holding him tight. He’d stroked her hair tenderly, whispering sweet condolences in her ear. After two movies, a tub of cookie dough, and a box of chocolates, she had turned to him and said, “You are an amazing friend. Thanks for being here for me.” She had leaned closer to him, kissed his cheek, then rested her adorable head on his shoulder. With the adrenaline coursing through his veins, he had cautiously put his arm around her slender frame, and she had snuggled closer. He sat there until he was sure she was asleep, and had then carried her upstairs to her room. He stood next to her bed for a few minutes, just watching her sleep. Then, he did something he wished he could do while she was awake. He kissed her sleeping lips, softly and lovingly.

He snapped back to reality, wishing he could have stayed in the memory. It was this memory that was prompting him to do what he was determined to do. He should do it now, he thought to himself. Just go up behind her and do it. He took a deep breath. And then, so he wouldn’t have time to think about it, and reconsider, he went up behind her, silent as a mouse. He stopped when he saw her journal open in her lap. He read, “I like Kyle so much. He means the world to me, but I don’t think he realizes it. He would never like me anyway. He deserves so much better.” The boy’s heart skipped a beat. She was talking about him. He had to do it now. He rested his hand on her shoulder, and she started. He knelt, and whispered in her ear, “Katrina, I love you.” She seemed stunned, and didn’t immediately respond. She only grabbed his hand from her shoulder, and turned around. She smiled coyly, kissed him, then stopped, “I need you.”

Inspired by a setting high in the Colorado Rockies, I watched my sister's hair shining in the sun and wondered....