Can I kiss you now? | Teen Ink

Can I kiss you now?

By Sunny123 BRONZE, Auckland, Other
Sunny123 BRONZE, Auckland, Other

"A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet."

She saw the water-lily bloom and I watched as she sadly admired its beauty. Her large blue eyes were framed with thick, curling lashes, which stood out against a pale complexion. Dark, thick hair waved luminously to her shoulders and she lifted one delicate hand to finger the perfect petals of the lily. I watched silently as tears dripped down her beautiful face and although my heart pained to watch her, she needed this moment to remember a first kiss memory that was trapped inside the flower’s depths. Her eyes revealed her agony of passed happiness.

*

*

*

I still remember the way he looked at me. We sat comfortably in the shade of a big tree on the edge of the park lake. The sky was blue, the grass green and the water lilies were in bloom. We talked about menial things like our families and our favourite music but I remember every single thing he said. Then, he looked at me with such meaning and passion that my heart wavered in my chest and my breathing shuddered. He brought a crumpled piece of paper out of his pocket and carefully unfolded it. It said, ‘Can I kiss you now?’ I smiled. His hand moved to my waist and gently pulled me nearer. Then our lips touched and my life was changed forever…

How betrayal burns, searing acid in my heart and staining it forever. The man I once knew is confined inside a memory. The tears that I thought would fade still ache this whole year later.

*

*

*

Although I was sick with apprehension of rejection, I made my way around the lake and stepped underneath the tree where our flower still bloomed. When she turned around and saw me, I almost turned away, afraid of what she might do. But her eyes looked at me and brightened.

*

*

*

I turned and saw him standing there. He hadn’t changed a bit. I saw his nervousness and knew why he was here. I knew because he looked at me exactly that same way as he had so long ago. Then, he reached into his pocket and revealed the note that was now yellowed with age. I rushed into his arms and our lips met, evoking in me the same chemistry and passion that it was as if we had never parted.