Time Lapse | Teen Ink

Time Lapse

April 29, 2010
amicrazyorisitjusteveryoneelse PLATINUM, Kula, Hawaii
48 articles 0 photos 198 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Everything you dream is real and everything real is a dream"


When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace,” quoted Abey White, long time lover of Jimi Hendrix. Abey lived in a small house on a tiny island in the Pacific, surrounded by water on all sides. It is here where tourists flock and golfers travel, where whales migrate and where the entire population is less than a hundred fifty thousand people. It is here where Abey White found love.


He awoke at six. The same time he has awoken for as long as he could remember. It’s like his internal clock had a timer set to the exact same time each morning. Alex Takamahi was annoyed. No, he was past that; he was aggravated that he had awoken. He missed sleeping in, and missed being yelled at for it. For him it was normal though. It was something he would just have to live with.


As soon as their eyes met they both thought. What kept you?
?

Abey dreamt often, and so did Alex. Never of each other though. They were known as the model couple for best friends. The two people that would stay together no matter what happened between them; they were two people that would always be friends.

Neither of them dreamt that they would ever forget the other.
?

Freshman year had officially begun. And along for the ride were the two friends.

“Hi Abs,” Alex said.

“Hey,” Abey responded.

“How’s your day going so far?”

“Great, my teachers seem nice enough, except for math. That lady scares me.”

“Satosnishkitaketoni?”

“Yeah, ha-ha, her name’s a mouthful too.” They both laughed. “I’m happy we weren’t just assigned lockers like last year. It’s so much better that we got to choose where our lockers are.”

“Yeah, now we can meet up at lunch, ha-ha, not like we don’t anyway. It sucks that we don’t have any classes together. Maybe we will next semester.” Alex sighed.

“Yeah, hopefully. I’ll call you later, I have to eat dinner. Bye.”

“Bye.” Alex said and they both hung up.
?

The days wore on and the feeling of high school settled in, the routine, the long classes, the lectures, everything became monotonous as school always becomes.
?

Alex did his morning runs, skimmed through the paper and skipped to the comics like he always did. Something caught his eye while he was skimming the classifieds though. An ad put out for paid experimental mind enhancement procedures. He was intrigued so he cut out the ad and called Abey because the ad said that two people were needed.

“Hey Abey, open the paper to the classifieds. You get ten grand for experimental mind enhancement procedures. What do you think?”

“I… Oh wow… Ten grand is a lot of money. And I need some cash so I can buy a car.”

“Yeah. I need a new guitar, maybe a couple amps and soundboards too. Do you think it’s worth it?”

“Possibly... Call the number and try to get some information.”

“I don’t know… What if we get hurt?”

“If we do it together the worst that could happen is that we’ll die together and we’ll never have to deal with any of the grieving that’ll come out of the situation.”

“Ha-ha. Yeah that’ll work. We should do it.”

“Okay, let’s call them then. Come over to my house and we can call together.”

“Sure thing, I’m coming over right now. See you soon. Bye, Abey.”

“See ya, Alex.”
?

“It’s still busy,” said Abey.

“But it’s been busy for the past three hours. Maybe the lines disconnected or something.”

“Yeah… Maybe we should just go to the address. See if we can get some information there.”

“Yeah, but not tonight. I’m tired already. Do you wanna stay over?”

“Are you going to feed me?” Alex smirked.

“No! Ha-ha, of course! You can stay for dinner. My parents won’t mind, they’ve known you for so long anyway and you stay over at least once or twice a month. So the ‘rents should be fine with it.”

“Cool, you’re parents are awesome Abs. And we can go check it out in the morning.”

“Okay. I’ll go get the extra mattress then.”

“No, I know where it is, and it’s heavy, so I’ll go get it.”

“Ha-ha, thanks Alex.”

“Sure thing,” Alex replied as he left the room.

Abey whispered to herself, “Sometimes I think I love him.”

Alex thought the same thing as he walked down the hall to the storage room.
?

They stood in front of an office type building in the business district.

“The ad says to go to basement level two.” Alex stated.

“Okay,” said Abey. “We’re not going to get anywhere just standing out here, let’s go.” As they approached the door a big black security guard stopped them.

“State your reason to enter.”

“We’re answering an ad.” They both spoke in unison.

“May I see it?”

“Sure,” Alex replied and handed the security guard the ad.

“Talk to the woman at the desk, show her this pass and she’ll give you a card for the elevator.” The guard handed Abey a blue card.

“Thanks.” She said, the guard stepped aside and let them into the building.

“Well that was odd,” Said Alex.

“Agreed.” Said Abey. “He kind of reminds me of a freight train, ha-ha”

“Not funny. He freaked me out.”

“Ha-ha,” Abey said as they approached the desk.

“Hi. We’re here to respond to an ad put out in the paper.”

The woman looked up from her computer screen. “May I see your pass?”

Abey handed her the pass.

“Thank you. And here you go.” The receptionist handed her a different blue card with a magnetic strip on the back. “I believe its basement two that you’re looking for. Just swipe the card once you get in the elevator and press the button. Have a nice day.”

“I don’t like this place.” Said Alex after they had gone out of the receptionists hearing range. “It all seems really strange here.”

“Don’t worry about it. It’s not like they’re trying to hide some big government secret or anything. They’d have a lot more security if they were doing that.”

“I still don’t like it.”

Abey sighed and turned to him. “It’s going to be okay.” She stared into his eyes. “Everything is going to be okay, Alex.” She hugged him and said, “Okay?”

“Okay. Thanks. I-” He stopped.

“You what?”

“Nothing, never mind, its not important,” Said Alex.

“You’re blushing.”

“Really? It’s hot in here. I’m not blushing.”

“Okay, Alex, okay.” She said. They came up to the elevators and Abey swiped the key. Almost immediately an elevator door opened and they stepped in. She swiped the key again and pressed the button labeled B2.

They walked out of the elevator and into a large circular room. Rare paintings and artifacts lined the room and two large metal tables stood in the center. Surrounding the tables were various surgical instruments and powerful lamps, the kind dentists and doctors use when they need more light to see something more clearly. The ceiling was low and there was a giant mechanical device hanging from it which was positioned right above the tables.

“You’re here for the procedure, I presume.” Said a tall man dressed in a white Italian suit with a strong French accent.

“Yes, sir, we’re answering the ad you put out in the paper.” Alex said.

“Splendid, I’ll have you two wait here. Have a seat.” He directed us towards two expensive parlor chairs framing a coffee table. “I’ll bring you two the forms and other whatnot.” They were herded to the chairs, both made of black leather enhanced with a gold trim. “Here you go. You need to sign at the tabbed sections and fill out all necessary information like addresses and phone numbers on the spaces provided for them on the front and back pages. I shall return in a moment. Please excuse my absence.” He walked towards a door in the back and seemed to be swallowed by the light on the other side.

“He’s creepy.” Alex said. “I don’t know if I want to do this anymore.”

“It’s your decision. But I still want to.” Abey snapped back.

“Hey, no need to be mean about it!”

“I’m sorry… I didn’t mean to… It just seems like it’s too late to turn back already. Like we have to finish what we started.”

“Okay, I’m sorry I yelled at you… Let’s just get everything over with okay? We’re in it to win it. Ha-ha.” They filled out the forms in silence and when they were done, the tall man returned.

“I see that you two have finished filling out my contracts. I’ll have the doctor out in a minute. Don’t worry about your payment. It will be shipped to your houses right after the procedure.”

“Thank you, sir.” Alex said. “But what’s the catch?”

“There is no catch, misour, just an enhancement of the mind. You won’t even feel a thing.”

“You’re sure?” Abey said.

“Positive,” said the tall French man.

“Okay, let’s do this.”

“Certainly, Madam White. Now please join me at the tables, Doctor Tyler shall be with us shortly.” He led them to the tables and told them to lie down.

Alex took Abey’s hand and softly said, “I love you Abey.”

She held it there firmly and replied, “Thank you, Alex. Thank you for loving me. Everything’s going to be all right okay?”

“Okay.” He said as the room was filled with a blinding white light.
?

They were kids again. Chasing each other in the park that lay close to where they lived. Dancing to unheard music in the tall grass. Blowing bubbles and giggling. They were reliving their happiest memory together.
?

He awoke at six. The same time he has awoken for as long as he could remember. It’s like his internal clock had a timer set to the exact same time each morning. Alex Takamahi was annoyed. No, he was past that; he was aggravated that he had awoken. He missed sleeping in, and missed being yelled at for it. For him it was normal though. It was something he would just have to live with.


She slept in, and in turn was late for school again. Abey White couldn’t remember when she hadn’t been late for school. It was just something she would have to live with.


They were walking towards their lockers and as Alex reached his, he noticed the most beautiful girl he had ever seen. She must’ve been new here or he would’ve noticed her before.

As soon as their eyes met they both thought. What kept you?

“Hi,” She said. “My name’s Abey White.”

Alex just kind of stared at her for a moment, but then quickly responded, “Hi, I’m Alex Takamahi.”

“That’s my locker that you’re standing in front of.” Alex looked back, and then stepped away.

“Sorry.” He said, “I didn’t know.”

“Yeah, it’s okay though. Clueless is cute sometimes.” Abey thought, Oh gosh. Did I just say that? I must be crazy or high or something. I mean, he is cute, nicely built, beautiful eyes. Gosh, I’m ranting again. Oh no, I better say something. He might think I really meant that. Well I did, but… Gosh… He probably has a-

“So, what grade are you? I haven’t seen you before. Are you new?”

“No, I’ve been going here since start of my freshman year. I’m a freshman too, so I guess that’s kind of weird that I just said that.”

“You’re talking really fast, blushing too.”

“I’m so sorry.”… He must think I’m so stupid… “I do that when I’m nervous.”

“It’s cute, and it’s amazing that I’ve never seen you before. How long have you been on the island?”

“All my life, I used to go to Kalanipu’u Middle and Puapuasprite Grade before that.”


“You’re kidding me? We’ve been going to school together for the past nine years and I’ve never seen you.”

“Nope, that’s really weird considering Kalanipu’u and Puapuasprite were fairly small schools. I’ve never seen you either… Isn’t that amazing?”

“Hell yeah, that’s crazy.”

“What do you do during lunch?”

“Nothing, normally I’ll go and hang out with Beth.”

“Are you two going out?” I knew it, Abey thought.

“You know Beth?” Said Alex, a little surprised.

“Yeah, I know her. So I guess you two are going out.”

“Oh, no, we’re not. I’m single.” Alex thought, she’s amazing, and it’s so weird that I’ve never met her before. I wonder if she’s single. No, she’s too hot, and if she was she probably wouldn’t go out with me.

“So you’re single.” This is too perfect, she thought. “So am I. Maybe you wanna go-”

“I’d love to.” Alex smiled and believed that, at that moment, that he was the happiest man alive. Abey giggled and believed that she was too.
?

Alex just finished his acoustic cover of “You are so beautiful” by Escape the Fate, complete with singing.

“How long have you been playing?” Abey asked.

“Eight years, and I learned to play piano when I was ten. Before my dad died he taught me to play. When he did I inherited his guitars and the piano.”

“Oh my God… Alex, I’m so sorry.”

“Don’t be… It’s okay. I just don’t like to talk about him.”

“I’m sorry. I won’t bring it up again.” Tears started to form in Alex’s eyes, but he held them back. He was strong now. Abey almost started to cry too. Alex lay back on his bed and Abey fell upon him. “I love you…” she whispered.

“I love you too Abey.” Alex sighed. “My mom left me with my brother a year ago. I made her mad and she just upright disowned me. Tom is at his girlfriends place tonight so you’re welcome to stay over if you’d like. Not that you wouldn’t be if he was here either. It would be great to have someone to talk to when no one else is listening though.

“Yeah, that would be nice. I’ll just call my mom.” Abey dialed her mom’s cell and hit send. She answered on the first ring.

Alex just stared at her lying on him. She smelled of sandalwood and roses. It was wonderful. It would be perfect if that scene could be frozen forever. So they could live together into eternity, never aging and in love forever.
?

“How do you think they’re faring?” said the Frenchman to Dr. Tyler.

“Well, hopefully they don’t remember us. The procedure worked for sure this time though. Neither of them remembered anything about the other person. The operation was a complete success.”

“You’re sure?”

“Yes. I’m positive. I believe that you owe me this time. You should trust my skills next time.”

“I’d almost believed that you had forgotten. You still owe me a new suit to replace the one that got soiled.”
?

“She’s fine with it.” Abey said. “I didn’t even have to explain anything.”

“Your mom sounds awesome.” Alex thought about playing her the song he had written for her. Then he decided that he should just give it to her instead. “Here you go.” He handed her the music and lyrics. Abey looked over it.

“Is this for me?” She asked.

“Yes. I actually have a couple more for you too. I just haven’t finished everything with them yet.”

“Play it for me. Please?”

Alex sighed, “Okay. I figured you would want me to.”

“Yay!” Abey exclaimed. He’s so cute, she thought. Alex started to play and Abey’s smile widened.

“Abey I love you,” Alex started, “More than words can ever comprehend. Baby I need you. I need you to be here and never leave. I’ll be here by your side. And you just let me know. That you love me too.” Alex finished the short song with the last three chords and Abey leaned in and gave him a kiss.

“I do love you. And you have to teach me that song.”

“It’s pretty easy. The capo is on the third fret and you play D G C A.”

“Can I use this guitar?” She held up his Epiphone acoustic.

“Sure. Come closer.” Alex pulled her to him.

“Now show me the chords again.”
?

“I’m just going to close my eyes for a minute okay?”

“Okay Abs.”

“It’s so cute when you say that.” Abey yawned. The clock on Alex’s bedside table read 2:18am. “You better sleep too, or else we won’t make it to school tomorrow.”

“I’m fine with missing out on Satosnishkitaketoni for a day.”

“You have her too? Ha-ha. Yeah, I could live without math for a day.” Abey closed her eyes and fell asleep just as she whispered, “Keep playing Alex.”

“Okay Abey.” Alex started playing “Amber” by 311.


The author's comments:
For the girl that I met at the 311 concert (her name is Abey)