Love Letters | Teen Ink

Love Letters

By Boppsta BRONZE, Wantagh, New York
Boppsta BRONZE, Wantagh, New York

"I'd rather be 9 people's favorite thing than a hundred people's ninth favorite thing." - [title of show]

“Alright, so tell me something I don’t know about you,” I said to Lucas as we walked along the sidewalk.

We had met at one of my friends’ parties and-after I got over the fact that he had accidentally tripped and spilled his drink all over me-he actually turned out to be a really nice guy. When my friends got me cleaned up and into someone’s pajamas and a pair of flip flops, I was about to walk home by myself, but he offered to accompany me. He said it was the least he could do to make up for his clumsiness.
“My favorite color is blue,” he said.
“Umm okay I was hoping for something a little deeper than that, but I didn’t know that so I’ll take it,” I said.
“Okay, you go,” he said.
“Okay, well you know how everyone communicates by text and e-mail these days? Don’t get me wrong, I like how easy it is, but I kind of like the idea of letters and how you have to put all this thought into it instead of just abbreviations and emoticons. Plus, having to wait a little longer to receive them, makes it that much better when you finally get to read them,” I said.
“Wow that is deep,” Lucas said.
“What can I say? I’m a pretty deep girl,” I said.
There was a rush of wind and I shivered in the borrowed pajamas that barely covered me.
“Oh here, you must be freezing,” he said as he took off his jacket and draped it around my shoulders.
“Oh thanks,” I said.
“Don’t go thanking me, if it weren’t for me, you wouldn’t have to be walking home early in those pajamas,” he said.
“Really, it’s okay, it was an accident,” I said.
“That still doesn’t make me feel any better about unleashing my coke all over you,” he said.

We laughed and as we kept walking, I pulled his jacket in tighter around me. It was so warm and it had a musky smell to it.

Finally, we turned onto my block and as we approached the end of my driveway, I was about to take off his jacket, when he stopped me.
“Keep it, it’s freezing out here and I’ve got a long sleeve shirt on anyway,” he said.
“Are you sure, it’s your jacket and I only have to walk up the driveway till I’ll be inside,” I said.
“No it’s fine. Besides, it’ll give me a reason to see you again,” he said.

When he said this, I felt my cheeks blush. Luckily, it was dark, so I’m pretty sure he couldn’t tell.
“Oh, well thank you, and goodnight,” I said.
“Goodnight, and Kelly, again, I’m really sorry,” he said.
“You really need to stop apologizing,” I said.
“Okay sorry,” he said and then laughed, when he realized what he had just said, “Okay, leaving for real now,” he said and turned after a final wave goodbye.
*****

When I woke up the next morning, I went to get the mail and there was an envelope with just my name scribbled on the outside.

I opened it as soon as I got into my room. In it was a full page letter to me from Lucas.
Dear Kelly,
You said you loved letters, so here’s one just for you. Let’s see, what don’t you know about me? I hate spinach. I’m terrible at math. When I was in seventh grade, I got my first kiss from a girl named Jane at summer camp(it was a dare). I hate strawberry ice cream and I love listening to country music when no one is around. Oh and I met this really cute girl at this party the other night, after I was a stupid idiot and accidentally spilled my drink all over her. Thankfully, she let me walk her home to make up for it and I got to know a little more about her-but not enough. The good news is she still has my jacket and I would like it back. So what do you say? Coffee today at noon? If you don’t want to it’s okay, you don’t have to come and you can just give my jacket to Allie to give to me. But if you do I’ll be waiting. Hope to see you.
The Clumsy Idiot,
Lucas

I smiled as I finished reading the letter and then I went to start getting ready since it was already 10:30 am. But before I did anything else, I found some paper and a pen a started writing my response.
Dear Clumsy Idiot,
Gee, this sounds like a really great girl. Don’t worry, I think she’ll find it somewhere in her heart to forgive you for what happened at the party. I hate spinach too and I’m only average at math. My favorite ice cream flavor is chocolate, and my first kiss is too gross to even mention in this letter. So I’m going to have coffee today with this very clumsy, but cute guy. He seems pretty nice, but I don’t know him too well, so we’ll see. If all goes well, then maybe we could go to the movies next weekend with some of our other friends? Let me know if you think this is a good idea.
The Adorable Beauty,
Kelly

After coffee, I gave Lucas the letter and told him to wait to read it till he got home. We continued meeting up and exchanging these letters each time we saw each other. We had been hanging out pretty frequently, but neither one of us had made a move to ask the other one out and I was getting impatient. But I didn’t want to ruin it, when what we had was going so well. Then one day I got a letter that changed it all.
Dear Adorable Beauty,
So I’ve been hanging out with this girl for a long time and something’s happening. I don’t know what is, or even how to describe, it just is. Whenever I’m with her, or even thinking about her, I can’t help but smile. And when she’s around me there’s so much I want to tell her, but the words disappear when I look at her and all I want to do is stay with her forever. Every time I look at her lips, I have to focus all of my energy to stop myself from kissing them. I think I’m falling in love with her. My only problem is does she feel the same way and would she consider going out with me?
The Clumsy Idiot,
Lucas

Lucas and I had already made plans to meet and hangout at the park before he gave me that letter. It was my dream come true. I spent the whole morning getting ready and then it was finally time.

When I saw Lucas sitting on one of the park benches, it took all my energy to not run up and tackle him. When I walked up, I handed him the envelope with his name written on the outside. He went to put it in his pocket, but I stopped him.
“I want you to read it now,” I said.
“Okay,” he said as he ripped open the envelope and unfolded the paper inside.

He read what was written on the paper, smiled, and then leaned in and kissed me. I had sat for an hour before and thought about all the things I could say in response to his question. When I finally wrote it, it was only one word:
Yes.

FatesMistake13, Springerville, Arizona

"Most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes." Oscar Wilde

"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show the world its own shame."

i really loved this!!! :) it was really cute :) i want you to include more letters and more meetings

ohdamnitsnico, Mt. Prospect, Illinois
this was soo cutee ! i loved it . please keep writing :)

kelliejo19 GOLD, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
OH MY GOSH!! THIS WAS GREAT!!!!! I LOVED THE LETTERS!!! KEEP WRITING!