Beautiful Ashes 2 | Teen Ink

Beautiful Ashes 2

By Roisin GOLD, Peabody, Massachusetts
Roisin GOLD, Peabody, Massachusetts

I breathed in a little bit of the salty air. I looked around, at the faces, some of which I have never seen before today. Some were crying, some closing their eyes. These strangers came up to me, and with their deepest sympathy, apologize to me; apologize to me as if I have known them for years. I took one last deep breath and with a few slow, reassuring nods I received from some bystanders, I turned around and headed for the water. I could feel the warmth in the sand disappearing along with the night, as the sun was vanishing behind the infinite ocean. The palm trees seemed to sway with a little more respect today. I clenched the lilac-decorated vase close to me, because inside held something so precious, and so treasured. Inside, was the most irreplaceable mechanism to ever walk the very earth that all life-forms share today, and to love me with every aspect of the heart. I removed my hand gently from the top of the vase, and tipped it slightly. She was gone. But the life she once lived was full of embracing life and all its intricate details and giving free refills to people with half empty glasses. Although the people gathered today were here, feeling sorry for me, and my loss, it was in fact I who pitied them; for they had not known her like I did, and nor will they ever get the chance. I watched as the most beautiful ashes I have ever seen, were being carried by the wind and dispersed across the sea. I looked up in relief and almost, a sense of freedom. Then, as if she had never left, I could see her warm smile.

This is the second one with some slight changes & the old version (found in my other work) has a mistake at the end, which is important, so I fixed it for all of you. I hope you like it better with the new modifications. (: