Sky | Teen Ink

Sky

October 29, 2008
By Roryl SILVER, Mt. Olive, North Carolina
Roryl SILVER, Mt. Olive, North Carolina
7 articles 14 photos 25 comments

Favorite Quote:
God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks to us in our conscience, but shouts in our pains: it is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world. ~C.S. Lewis


My eyes scanned the large classroom. There she is. Her long, wavy brown hair was shining in the sunlight coming through the window. Beautiful. I smiled as I made my way through the cramped space in between the tables. Getting closer, I noticed the book on the chair beside her, saving my seat. She turned around in her chair and, seeing me coming, smiled a huge smile, moved the book onto the table, and cast her gorgeous sky blue eyes toward the chair. It was from this that I had given her her nickname--Sky. I know. Original, right? But it suited her, and she loved it. As always, she was wearing the necklace I had made her for her birthday last year, which brought out her eyes wonderfully.
“Morning, Gabe. How was your date?” She waggled her eyebrows up and down a few times. Ugh. Did she have to remind me? The night before, I had suffered through endless pain and agony on the worst blind date of my life. Because of what she called her “maternal duty” my mother had set me up with the “delightful and charming” Amber--daughter of my parent’s affluent neighbors, Stephen and Linda Snelling. Amber was, basically, what every guy (but me apparently) would have wanted in a blind date. She was the ditsy, blond, leggy, voluptuous, bad-private-school girl type, and to top it all off--captain of the cheerleading team. Can you say cliché?
“Don’t ask.”
“That bad?”
“She thought Leonardo de Caprio painted the Mona Lisa.”
Sky’s sweet, lilting laugh filled the space between us. “Ouch.”
“Yeah.” I sighed. Ouch indeed.
“You’ll find someone.” She said as Professor Newmann began the lecture. I wanted to tell her I already had found someone, she just happened to have a boyfriend and was, apparently, completely oblivious to the fact that I had a Y chromosome.
I had been in love with Sky since I first met her in our psychology class at the beginning of the year. It was her sophomore and my junior year at Rayford Barnes University, and the seat next to mine was the only one not being occupied. She stumbled in at the last minute, her hair sticking up, shoes untied, and loaded down with a monstrous backpack and a stack of books in her hand. Trying to put the books on the table, she swung her backpack around and brained me in the face. When I woke up, the first thing I saw were those dazzling eyes staring down at me. I was hooked. Since then I had been upgraded to best friend status, helping with problems and giving advice, all the while secretly pining like the hopeless loser I am. And, as a best friend should, I learned every possible thing about her. Things not even her boyfriend knew. Like she had been diagnosed with acute lymphoid leukemia when she was ten years old and had a complete remission. And she still slept with her teddy bear, Ernest, that she got for her third birthday. Everything from her favorite color--viridian (the color you would get if you mixed her sky blue eyes with my dark green ones) -- to her first kiss (junior year, YMCA parking lot, Redmond Wiler--his real name, believe it or not), to the way she liked her jeans to fit (loose in the thigh, low on the hips), I could tell you anything. And I was overjoyed to be her friend, I really was. I just longed for something more.
I felt something warm on my hand. Glancing down, I saw Sky’s hand resting on mine, and I felt a jolt of electricity charge through my veins.
“Gabriel?” Professor Newmann was right next to my desk, a knowing expression on her face. It was beyond obvious that this wasn’t the first time she had tried to get my attention, which probably explained Sky’s hand on mine. Glancing over at her, I could see that she was slightly worried, unlike Professor Newmann, who was smirking at me. She was incredibly young for a professor—probably in her mid-thirties, and wore different rims around her glasses every day. This was my second semester of psychology with her and I had never seen her wear the same ones twice. They were all different colors and shapes. Some had leopard print or rhinestones. It was as if she used them to see inside our heads. She was one person you couldn’t keep secrets from—which, I guess, made sense, her being the psychology teacher and all. Even now, as she looked at me, I could tell she knew how I felt about Sky.
“Sorry, what was that?” I managed, trying to concentrate on talking, rather than the fact that Sky was touching me.
“Your homework, Gabriel.” Professor Newmann said gently as she rolled her eyes. It was all I could do not to moan out loud when Sky removed her hand so that I could grab my bag. I fumbled for the right papers and handed them to her, trying out what I hoped was an apologetic smile. As she took them she shook her head in a will-he-ever-learn kind of way. Moving to the front of the room, she sighed and ran a hand through her thick, black hair before turning back to face the class.
“Please turn to page 253 in your books and we’ll get started.” She said calmly. I read the title of the page we were about to study--Social Influences on Love and Mate Selection. No freaking way.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 32 comments.


on May. 23 2022 at 11:56 am
TessaDreamAuthor_3000 PLATINUM, Tomball, Texas
37 articles 2 photos 147 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain." - Dolly Parton
" Balance your life with spiritual experiences that remind and prepare you for continued, daily ministering to others." - M. Russell Ballard
"Love is expressed in a smile, a wave, a kind comment, a compliment." - Thomas S. Monson

The last part made me laugh so hard XD

DJAlyss GOLD said...
on Dec. 16 2018 at 9:44 pm
DJAlyss GOLD, El,paso, Texas
12 articles 1 photo 25 comments

Favorite Quote:
Practice doesn't make perfect,
Practice makes Permanent

Wow! I have been writing since I was little but, I have only bearly started to publish my work. You have amazing talent and great potential! Amazing read keep it up!.....And maybe check out some of my poems :P

on Oct. 22 2016 at 2:13 pm
Kayashreya SILVER, Novato, California
7 articles 0 photos 7 comments
Great story! You have very powerful writing!

on Apr. 4 2016 at 10:48 am
Aaliyah02 SILVER, Pflugervile, Texas
6 articles 0 photos 33 comments

Favorite Quote:
" If you can dream it, you can do it"

Wonderful! I Loved it! I would love to read some more of your stories!

Em129 SILVER said...
on Dec. 15 2015 at 7:50 pm
Em129 SILVER, Glen Rock, Pennsylvania
7 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
Enjoy the little things

I have had a moment like this and it was nice to read about best friends and one who loves the other. Its almost refreshing. I absolutely love it.

on Aug. 13 2015 at 5:28 pm
SomeoneMagical PLATINUM, Durham, New Hampshire
22 articles 1 photo 259 comments
Amazing!:) I need more....:)

Jayjay212a2 said...
on Feb. 24 2014 at 12:35 pm
Jayjay212a2, Kings Mountain, North Carolina
0 articles 0 photos 2 comments
This story was very interesting but in a good way!!!!

JPanda13 GOLD said...
on Feb. 13 2014 at 1:46 am
JPanda13 GOLD, Roswell, New Mexico
10 articles 0 photos 49 comments

Favorite Quote:
just cuz you put syrup on somin dont make it pancakes
Whoever said sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me, had never been hit with a dictionary

the type of thing every girl wants a guy to secretly be thinking about her

on Dec. 28 2013 at 1:54 am
Kasey_renee BRONZE, Chandler, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
when the straight and narrow gets a little to straight, roll up a joint. or don't. and follow your arrow wherever it goes.

I loved it so much! You should really continue it.

on Sep. 4 2013 at 4:02 pm
Nannette_25 GOLD, McDonough, Georgia
16 articles 1 photo 16 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I wanted to lie down with those words and rise up speaking a new language"

The descriptions and imagery in this story are amazing! Love it!

on Jul. 18 2013 at 1:01 pm
Yourboggert1 BRONZE, Welford, South Carolina
4 articles 3 photos 22 comments

Favorite Quote:
dark cannot drive out dark; only light can do that. hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

i loved this! it was humerous and just great! i would love for you to continue the story! like please!

GotSoccer19 said...
on Jun. 8 2013 at 10:06 pm
GotSoccer19, Dallas, Texas
0 articles 0 photos 24 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A real athlete knows that there's no off-season."

This was so awesome. Most "romance" stories are all cheesy and, as you said, cliche. This was completely realistic. To be honest, it'd make a great book if you added on(: Best wishes!

JRaye PLATINUM said...
on Jun. 8 2013 at 8:44 pm
JRaye PLATINUM, Dorr, Michigan
43 articles 10 photos 523 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you build your house far enough away from Trouble, then Trouble will never find you."

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and said, 'I just don't care.'?"

Such a great story! I love the way you developed your characters - Gabe is so friendly and in love and, all in all, real! I hope you write more on this later on, you're an awesome writer! :) (PS, the ending was real cute and funny!)

on Dec. 4 2012 at 4:44 pm
angel_of_silence PLATINUM, Cotulla, Texas
24 articles 0 photos 62 comments

Favorite Quote:
“The boy never cried again, and he never forgot what he'd learned: that to love is to destroy, and that to be loved is to be the one destroyed.” -Jace Wayland City of Bones

awsome work, the last part made me laugh, i dont mean to sound rude considering this is you work that im commenting on but could you please check out my work??? once again it was awesome

Lonleydandy said...
on Aug. 13 2010 at 8:18 am
AHHHH, where's the rest ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

on Jun. 13 2010 at 9:28 am
OfficialApprover PLATINUM, Orefield, Pennsylvania
48 articles 0 photos 1752 comments

Favorite Quote:
Grab life by the balls. -Slobberknocker
We cannot change the cards we're dealt just how we play the hand
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted
It's pretty easy to be smart when you're parroting smart people
-Randy Pausch

This was so totally awesome!  Incredible! PLEASE tell me you wrote more!  You're an amazing writer!

Also, could you check out my work and comment on it?


on Oct. 4 2009 at 12:53 am
liltrinhle SILVER, Raleigh, North Carolina
8 articles 6 photos 37 comments
five star.

love it

unique style

leaves a sense of wonder

great tone

Roryl SILVER said...
on Oct. 2 2009 at 6:05 pm
Roryl SILVER, Mt. Olive, North Carolina
7 articles 14 photos 25 comments

Favorite Quote:
God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks to us in our conscience, but shouts in our pains: it is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world. ~C.S. Lewis

Thank you so much! You made my day!

ps13795 SILVER said...
on Oct. 2 2009 at 5:29 am
ps13795 SILVER, Baguio, Other
9 articles 5 photos 43 comments
Whoa, I read the whole story so far and I have two things to say:

1. The story's amazing.

2. You're awesome!!!!

Believe me when I say we'll be seeing your name all over the papers (..and the television, and on posters, and in famous bookstores.. you get the point)

Again, WOW!!!

^_^

Roryl SILVER said...
on Sep. 11 2009 at 6:27 pm
Roryl SILVER, Mt. Olive, North Carolina
7 articles 14 photos 25 comments

Favorite Quote:
God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks to us in our conscience, but shouts in our pains: it is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world. ~C.S. Lewis

Hey all! There is more of this story on my website: www.rorylubinsky.webs.com

I post new stuff every once in a while, so check it out!