Cupid | Teen Ink

Cupid

By GuardianoftheStars GOLD, Shongaloo, Louisiana
GuardianoftheStars GOLD, Shongaloo, Louisiana

"Let's tell young people the best books are yet to be written; the best painting, the best government, the best of everything is yet to be done by them."
-John Erslcine

You know, I get the blame for everything. You humans are so unappreciative. I mean, come on, I have been around for ages helping you be happier and you always point your fingers at me when you let stupid things such as pride or inconvenience get in the way of your joy. Make fun of my bow and arrows, make statues of me looking like some naked baby. You know, after a few hundred years one does overcome diapers and twenty-four inches.

In case you haven’t already guessed my name, it’s Cupid. Yep. The one and only complete with my bow, arrows, and wings. You’d be surprise to know that many of you have seen me, disguised in jeans and a T-shirt. I look like any normal teenage boy around the age of seventeen or so. I have golden locks, blue eyes, a muscular body, and I WEAR CLOTHES (I just thought I’d point that out).

I’ve been around a long time, centuries, millennia. And you people never change! I swear! You take history don’t you?! How can you not see the patterns repeating themselves over and over again? How are you so blind to why you are unhappy? You blame it on love. Every stinking time. You know that’s not what caused the Roman empire to fall, not what started WW II, not what makes people starve over in Africa. In fact, it was the lack of it that started all of those things.
And look at you. Yeah, I’m talking to you. Remember that crush you had? You know who I’m talking about don’t pretend not to. You ‘fell in love’ at first sight. Saw the beauty of the body and went head over heels. You spent all your time daydreaming ending up as a couple. But what about your siblings? The ones who wanted to play with you? But you were too busy chasing after that imagination of yours to pay them any mind. Remember how as the years passed and you grew farther and farther apart and you forgot who the other person was? You lost them and never got that ‘happy ending’ when your crush ditched you for another and broke your heart.
Who did you blame? Love.
Well, let me tell you: I did shoot you with my arrow, but I didn’t link it to that crush. Instead I hit your little brother who everyday waited until you came home from school so he could show you the picture he had drawn. Instead I hit your father who grounded you when you did something stupid so that you would learn that was wrong and not the best thing for you. Instead I hit your old grandma who always seems to be in the way and always tries to share her childhood with you.
You are the one who stole my bow and tried to shoot that kid. And I tried to warn you that it was a bad idea through your friends and your family but you ignored them. I even sent nice substitutes who would treat you right and be kind to you, people who wouldn’t abuse or use you. But you ignored them because they were ‘weird’ or ‘nerdy’ or ‘not cute’.
Your broken heart was never your fault. It was mine and everyone else’s. And after it was broken you pushed everyone who really cared away so you felt alone. You swore no one could possibly understand the pain you were suffering through. You ignored your mother who tried to hug you in comfort. You shunned the concern of your friends and said everything was all right when it clearly wasn’t.
Now I’m not trying to beat you up, not even close. I just want you to open your eyes and see so that you won’t destroy yourself like this again. Believe me when I say I know how it feels to get your heart shattered by someone you care for. I can feel all the hearts that are broken. I felt yours. And so did the ones whose own arrows were linked to yours. We all shared your pain.
And I’m not even saying that I get things right all of the time. I admit I’ve messed up before (Romeo and Juliet are always flung up in my face) but I truly do try. Love is what keeps this crazy world spinning. What keeps things glued together. Love is family. Love is friendship. Love is trust. Love is kindness. Love is hope. Love is joy.
Love is a second chance.
Now stand still. I’m taking aim. And I have the perfect target.

Possitive criticism wanted :) Thank ya!

-John Erslcine

Thank you so much! I'm glad you liked it so. :)

holly1999 GOLD said...
holly1999 GOLD, Middlesbrough, Other

'There was no need to clarify my finger snap, the implication was clear in the snap itself' - Magnus Bane

Great story! The idea was very creative and I loved the twist on Cupid. The description and detail you included was great, and the story flowed really well. It drew me in from the beginning and I thought it was really well written. Loved the ending!

-John Erslcine

Thank you. :) 

thewriter247 said...
You are a genius. There's nothing else I can say.

-John Erslcine

You're so nice! ^_^ Thanks!! I really appreciate it!

-John Erslcine

Thank you! I'm glad you thought so. =)

-John Erslcine

Sure!     

-John Erslcine

Thanks! :) I'm so glad you liked it. 

-John Erslcine

Yay! I'm glad you enjoyed it so much!! :)

-John Erslcine

Sure!

-John Erslcine

Thank you!!! :D

-John Erslcine

I'm glad you liked it then!! ^___^

-John Erslcine

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it!

-John Erslcine

Sure!     

-John Erslcine

Nice. I'm glad you liked it. ;)

-John Erslcine

Aww, really? Thanks! I'm glad you liked it so much!!

Hanban12 ELITE said...
Hanban12 ELITE, Lake Worth, Florida

"If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them."
Henry David Thoreau

"I fell in love the way you fall asleep; slowly, and then all at once."
John Green

I loved this! It was humorous at times and very interesting. The idea is very unique; geez, you're such a great writer! How do you come up with these things???

Jade.I.Am ELITE, Fishers, Indiana

“If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose”
― Charles Bukowski

I really liked this, it was somehow very funny but teachable at the same time. You're character was relatable... Very interesting twist on Cupid, with the whole family/friends thing:)

_Kristen_ BRONZE, St. Louis, Missouri

"Crying? Nah. Lift you head up, princess. Your tiara is falling off."

Wow. That was extreamly well written. Could you check out my piece called Rosebud? maybe even leave some constructive critisim? it would mean a lot!

E.J.Mathews GOLD, International Falls, Minnesota
This was a really wonderful piece. I loved where you went with the point of view, and you really got me with the ending. It was also very thought provoking, which is a sign of amazing work. Keep it up. ;)