Sacrifice | Teen Ink

Sacrifice

By Clarissehhh02 SILVER, Las Vegas, Nevada
Clarissehhh02 SILVER, Las Vegas, Nevada

Just Keep Swimming :)

“That’s great, babe!” Landon, my boyfriend, exclaimed. “You’ve been wishing for this to happen and it finally is.”

I nodded, smiling widely. “I know. I’m so excited to finally meet my long lost twin!”

He chuckled. “I think anyone with eyes could see—,”

I heard Landon groan as he bumped into someone. He turned around in a hurry and said, “I’m really sorry. I didn’t mean to!”

A girl with long blonde hair that curled towards the end looked up, her cheeks inflamed. “It’s okay. I wasn’t really looking.” she muttered in a small voice.

I smiled in recognition. “You’re that new transfer student right?”

She nodded.
“It’s nice to meet you. I’m Kailey. That’s Landon,” I said, pointing towards Landon who was still silently staring at the girl. I didn’t like how he stared at her, but I still wanted her to be my friend.
She smiled. “I’m Rianne. Nice to meet you too.”
“If you need any help settling in, Landon and I could help you.” I said, hoping she’d warm up to me.
And she did.

Days, months, and eventually, a year passed when I continued to notice something. There was something I didn’t know and I have this dreaded feeling at the bottom of my stomach. And today, I’m determined to find out what it was.

Before we entered the classroom, Rianne went to the bathroom, sneaking a look at Landon, as if secretly telling him to follow her. Soon after she left, Landon made some excuse about forgetting something in his car, but I knew better. I didn’t waste any time following him. I saw them meet up by the window that outlook the football field. They talked in hushed voices, but I could still hear them.

“Landon, we have to tell her. I know she noticed something and she’s onto us! I don’t want her to find out unless it comes from us and only us!” Rianne said in a panic, fear evident in her voice.

He pecked her lips, shocking me to the point where my jaw dropped and my eyes widened. “I know, babe. But her birthday’s coming up and I don’t wanna upset her or anything. It’s not like I can just go ahead and say, “Oh I’ve been cheating on you with your best friend. Sorry, it just happened.”

My face hardened. Traitors. How could they? I trusted them with everything and they do this? I was so mad that I acted before I think. I was supposed to run away before they could notice me, but my body said otherwise. I stepped out from where I was hiding.

“You don’t need to.” I said in a robotic voice.

They whipped their heads towards my direction, eyes widening as they realized I had found out their dirty little secret.

“Kailey!” they said simultaneously.

I rolled my eyes. “Don’t even dare say anything. I’ve heard enough lies that could feed the whole world. Why don’t you save it for someone who cares?”

“Please—,” Rianne started to say.

I gave her a hard glare. “I’m sorry. Did I stutter? Didn’t I told you to not say anything? I’m pretty sure I said it in English.”

I turned away before they could say anything. I went to our dorm, skipping today’s class. I packed all my clothes in a hurry, shoving here and there. I dragged my heavy suitcases to my car before going to the office and asking for drop out forms. As soon as everything was set, I drove to the airport and booked the earliest flight to some random city at the other side of the country. I was currently in New Jersey, so I booked a flight to Los Angeles, California. I threw one last look to the city I grew up in, wishing it didn’t hold any painful memories, wishing to just go back in time and prevent myself from falling for Landon and becoming friends with Rianne. But we all know that not all wishes come true.

I honestly thought I could stay away and move on. I thought someone would be able to see I was hurting, but unfortunately, there was nobody. It was just me and me alone. It’s been five long years. The weird thing was that I didn’t cry. I was just a numb shell. This past five years was a blur and I remembered nothing. I didn’t cry, didn’t shed even a single tear. I packed for a week and went to the hometown I abandoned, to the mother I deserted because of some traitors.

As soon as I landed, I realized how much I missed this place. I took the familiar route to the house I spent most of my time in. Strangely, my mom wasn’t there, but there was a note stuck on the door, saying that she’s at the hospital again. I frowned. Hospital? Why?

I sprinted to the nearest bus stop, somehow managing to catch the bus that just arrived. My leg bounced up and down as I thought of reasons why my mother would be in the hospital. I hastily got off the bus as soon as it got to the bus stop by the hospital. I sprinted to the receptionist who looked utterly bored. I hurriedly pried the information off her before sprinting to the elevators.

I reached the room and opened the door, startling the people inside, but they weren’t the only one surprised. It was me as well.

“Mom?” I asked just as mom called, “Kailey?”

Skipping my mom’s bone crushing hug, I asked her what she was doing in here and why she’s with Landon and Rianne.

She sighed. “Kailey, I know what they did hurt you, but you can’t hate them forever.”

I raised my eyebrows in a questioning manner. “And why not? Please do enlighten me, my dear mother.” I retorted sarcastically.

“Because she’s your long lost twin.”

My breath hitched. I laughed nervously. “Nice joke, mom, but last time I checked it’s not April Fools yet.”

She shook her head apologetically. “I’m not joking, Kailey.”

I laughed humorlessly. “I’m sorry, mom. I honestly thought that when I meet my sister we’d get along really well, but it’s impossible for that to happen now that I found out who she is. There is no way in hell am I going to accept a traitor into our family.”

“Kailey—,” Landon butted in.

I flinched when I heard his voice, but I went on with my resolution. “Landon, I wouldn’t have cared that you love my best friend! You could’ve broken it off with me, but no! Instead, you continued to play me until I eventually found out! This is about why you decided to lead me on into thinking that I could trust you especially after all we went through!” I screamed angrily. Landon had a pained look in his face, while Rianne’s was full of regret and remorse. I laughed venomously. “You guys have no right to feel guilty. You guys are just some cold, heartless people that I could care less about.”

“Mommy? Daddy? Why is she mad? Who is she?” the little girl asked.

I froze and my breathing stopped completely.

“Leigh Anne, go with grandma downstairs and play. I’ll call you up when we’re done talking with your aunt,” Landon said gently, crouching down to the little girl.

She tilted her head to the side. “She’s my aunt?”

I glared at Landon before looking at the kid. “I’m not your aunt, so don’t even think about calling me one.”

Mom hurriedly ushered the little girl outside before she could say anything. Rianne suddenly coughed loudly, Landon instantly by her side. I sighed and let out all the anger and sadness I’ve felt for the past five years.

“Are you guys happy? And I mean happy as in with your family?” I asked, sinking down the floor and holding my head with my hands.

“Yeah. I just really want my best friend back. My sister,” Rianne said in a soft voice.

I nodded. “I’ll think about it,” I said as I stood up and left. On the way out the hospital, I bumped into John who was wearing a lab coat. He was a friend of mine and Landon’s back in high school through college.

“Kailey! You’re back! Did you know I’m handling your sister’s case?” he asked, hugging me.

I frowned. “What’s her problem anyway?”

He sighed sympathetically. “You didn’t know? She has a severe heart problem and we’re having a hard time trying to find a heart that matches her. Your mom offered, but we couldn’t take it because of the age limit.”

I perked up. “Do you mind checking if we match?” I asked him, hopeful.

He frowned. “Are you certain about this, Kailey?”

I nodded. “I just wanna check for now.”

If we match, then it’s a sign that I should forgive them. If not, I will just leave and walk away, I said to myself.

The results came and relief flashed through me. I looked at John and nodded. He nodded back in return.

Dear Rianne,

I sincerely hope you're happy. It may not seem like it, but I am happy for you and Landon. As much as it pains me to say this, I have never seen Landon show that much love in his eyes when he was with me, so be sure to take care of yourself and continue to make him happy. I'm gonna have cut this short because it's almost time. Tell mom that I love her. She needs her time with you. She's missed you a lot. Give her a hug for me, will you? And I want you to know that I forgive you. Both of you. At first I thought I might be crazy for doing this for you guys, but I knew that if I didn’t do this, I wouldn’t be able to forgive myself. I don’t want you guys sad. I made this decision myself, so don’t you dare blame yourself or I’ll haunt you forever.
Love, your bestfriend,
Kailey <3

I've had this idea for 2 years and I finally turned it into something! It didn't seem to work as a book, so I wrote it as a short story. Hope you enjoy it :D

Clarissehhh02 SILVER, Las Vegas, Nevada

Just Keep Swimming :)

Thank you very much! I'm glad you liked it :D

KennaWenna GOLD, Topeka, Kansas

"If your eye's could speak what would they say?" -The Book Thief

Starting off with her finding her long lost twin, I liked that. But when Landon started falling for her twin, I felt the pain and it makes you want to scream. The ending is so powerful, but sad. She really did make a sacrifice. I enjoyed reading it.