And They Danced | Teen Ink

And They Danced

April 17, 2014
By Emilyphillips BRONZE, Faribault, Minnesota
Emilyphillips BRONZE, Faribault, Minnesota
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Seven p.m. and its show time. Adjusting their last bits of makeup. Slipping in their costumes and sliding on their shoes. The lights go down, the music goes up, and the crowd roars. Keeping the crowd on their feet, Sarah and Keith, tear up the stage.
As the show comes to an end the finale starts. The dancers flying across the stage. Sarah and Keith stay put center stage. The show has come to an end. This was the last show they would perform after nine years of dancing together.
Three months ago Keith’s dad, Jason, Had been in a serious car accident. He was paralyzed on one half of his body and had Sevier brain damage. Jason did not want to spend the rest of his life in the nursing home. So Keith promised his dad he would come to Seattle and take care of him. Even if it meant leaving behind the ones he loved most…
Keith had moved the west and had got all settled in. He didn’t realized that moving would be so hard on him. He thought about Sarah every day. He wondered if they would still be dancing, if he had told her how he really felt, If she would have felt the same way.
Sarah had gone back to collage to get her degree as a teacher. She found a job at St. Anne Institute, an all-girls special education school.
Two years had gone by. Keith had spent his time taking care of his father. He had gotten a part time job as a dance instructor at a small studio just outside of town. He never really talked to anybody. Most of his time was spent taking care of his dad or working. The free time that Keith had was spent dancing on his own. This wasn’t much, but was just enough.
As Keith took care of his dad, Sarah had spent her time teaching. She had gone out on a couple dates but it never seemed to click. She spent her free time dancing. Every-night she would dance in her studio. She had always felt this empty feeling when she dance, and every time she thought about Keith.
Sarah had been teaching for about three and a half years now. In the past couple months she had realized the standing in front of the class had become more challenging for her. She just thought that maybe it was because she wasn’t dancing anymore that she had lost the strength she once had.
Jason was getting worse and worse. He wasn’t able to get out of bed anymore. Keith had quit his job to take care of him full time. Two weeks had gone by and he could barely talk. After the whole family had came and was in the room. He decided it was time. Keith had gone back to the big city with his uncle.
As Sarah was getting ready for bed one night she Notice two tender spots on the side of her legs. Looking down she saw that there were 2 bruises, one on each leg. The bruises ran horizontal and were brown, blue, and purple. The bruises were right at the level of her student’s desk, and were cause just from the slightest brush against them. Looking up her symptoms, she noticed that it might be a form of cancer. Sarah had gone to the doctor. They took a blood sample and a biopsy, to determine if it is cancer. After waiting two days the doctor had sent her the test results. The doctor had decided that she would start chemotherapy in a week. After the nine weeks she had lost all her hair, her job, and strength physically and mentally. The chemo didn’t help her symptoms day by day they got worse.

Keith had opened his own dance studio in New York. He taught all ages. He practically lived there he worked so much. But that didn’t matter he was doing what he loved.

On his way home from work one night in January he ran into Sarah. They caught up like old friends. They found a coffee shop and sat there for hours. Another symptom of cancer was that you were tired all the time. After saying their goodbyes Sarah was walking to her cab and Keith had walked out and had asked her to meet him at the spot they last dance the next day at seven. She had no idea what to expect.

The next day Sarah had made her way to the auditorium. Walking across the stage that was covered in rose petals. The song they last danced to years ago. Keith had followed her looking at the expression on her face. Keith knew she was sick but he didn’t care. He wanted on last dance. They stood center stage. Not know that Sarah would not wake the next morning. And they danced.