Imago | Teen Ink

Imago

November 10, 2015
By hogieeaterness BRONZE, Barnegat, New Jersey
hogieeaterness BRONZE, Barnegat, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

   With a labored breath, she tossed the old box of letters over the edge of the waterfall, watching them flutter down like butterflies with broken wings.
   She sighed happily as the last of the letters were blown away, snagged on tree branches, and crumbling on the smooth surface of the stream.
   She couldn’t remember how many hours she was standing there, watching the letters flutter and disappear under the surface, but she no longer cared.
   Smiling down at the beautiful view before her, she remembered the once-love that brought her here-that showed her this forgotten place.
   She recalled the way the birds seemed to have sung just for them as they admired the beauty of forgotten civilization. The way the sunlight filtered through the leaves and shown on to the mossy carpet of the forest floor, the natural picnic blanket they never took for granted. The way they would spend hours among the beauty of the woods, untouched by modern society. The way they dreamt of the years they would spend together, wandering the forest and exploring everything it has to offer.
   Now she stood alone, surrounded by the things she once loved, thinking only of he who once loved her. 
   She turned from the beauty of the waterfall and, with her final sigh, she took flight.
   Like a butterfly with broken wings, she was carried away.