Silence | Teen Ink

Silence

December 8, 2015
By Siana PLATINUM, Escondido, California
Siana PLATINUM, Escondido, California
36 articles 0 photos 5 comments

     It was the most beautiful type of silence.

 

Well, I guess it was only silent for a few short seconds, but those couple of moments were so beautiful and so raw that it felt like an entire lifetime.
    

     He had said something, and I went to respond. I had an idea in my head of exactly what I was going to say in return, but when I looked up at his eyes, I froze. And suddenly the idea dissipated from my mind, because all I could focus on was his eyes. They were staring right back into mine with a sort of intensity that I can’t quite place, and he didn’t bother blinking, and neither did I. I merely gazed into his eyes and studied the pattern that seemed to be dancing around in his irises.
    

     I forgot that our friends were hovering beside us, laughing and engaging in their own conversations. I forgot that he and I were having a discussion of our own just a few seconds ago. I forgot just about everything, except, of course, him.
    

     We just reveled in the silence for a bit more, seeing as he didn’t seem eager to tear his stare from mine, and I was in no hurry to tear mine from his.  So we just sat there, probably looking like two individuals who moronically stopped talking mid-sentence just to look into one another’s eyes. Though, really, what’s so moronic about such an innocent yet solicitous gesture?
    

     Nonetheless, soon one of us laughed and I finally looked away, staring at the ground with red cheeks and a smile tugging at my lips. But something tugged at my chest and I knew I would only remember one thing from those few short seconds of silence:

Blue. His eyes are blue. And I could find myself lost in them forever.