The Old Baseball Field | Teen Ink

The Old Baseball Field

By SAHitt BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas
SAHitt BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas

Mia and Owen had always been friends. Even when Owen was dating Mia’s enemy, Miranda, they were still good friends. Miranda never liked Mia because she hung out with Owen more than she did. Once Miranda and Owen broke up, Mia became Owen’s fidus achates when a long night at the old baseball fields made them feel like magnets, slowly gravitating to each other.

The next day, Mia and Owen wound up at the ballpark again. Surprisingly,Miranda was there too. She was constantly trying to get Owen to pay attention to her.  As night came upon them, the temperature began to descend as the heat between Mia and Owen increased. Mia was in shorts and a T-shirt so she began to shiver. Out of the corner of Owen’s eye, he saw Mia rubbing her arms vigorously for warmth. “ Do you want my jacket?” Owen asked. “ No, it’s alright, but thank you for asking,” Mia replied, cheeks red as fire. “Owen, don’t offer that nut your jacket. She doesn’t deserve to wear such a precious thing,” Miranda hissed. “Mia isn’t a ‘nut’,” Owen snapped.

About twenty minutes later, Owen got really sick from an undercooked hamburger he bought from the concession stand.  Miranda and Mia were freaking out! “He’s so sick!! Call his parents NOW!!!” Miranda yelled to Mia while rubbing Owen’s back. Mia quickly got out her phone, but she was shaking so much that she couldn’t push the right buttons. “Miranda!! Come help me. I can’t push the buttons on my phone. I’m shaking too much,” Mia hollered to Miranda. She called his parents, and Owen was rushed to the hospital. Owen texted Mia immediately! The text read “ Mia, I’m in room 206. Come see me when you can. I need to talk to you.” Mia begged her parents to take her to the hospital. After some persuasion, they decided to take Mia to see Owen.

When they arrived at the hospital room, Mia burst into tears and swung her arms around Owen. “OWEN!”  OMG ARE YOU OKAY???” “Mia, I’m fine. Thank you for your concern, but can I ask you a VERY important question?” “ You can ask me anything,” Mia stated, showing excitement on the outside but nervousness on the inside. “Ever since the first time I saw you, I knew I was in love with you. You are beautiful, smart, and the nicest person in the world. It would be amazing if I could call you my girl. So, Mia, would you like to be my girlfriend?” Owen asked while Mia cried tears of joy. “Owen I would love to be your girlfriend!” exclaimed Mia. Once Mia and Owen had their moment, it was time for Mia to go. Miranda had been eavesdropping from outside the room and was shocked!! She decided that it was time for revenge. 

The next day, Owen was released from the hospital. He rushed over to Mia’s house. They spent all day together. As the days turned into weeks and weeks into months, Mia and Owen spent  years together. However, on their three-year anniversary there was a huge surprise.  “Owen. How dare you date that … that… that maniac,” Miranda stated with her hands on her hip. “Miranda? What are you doing here?” Owen questioned. “ I heard you had been dating Mia, and I don’t like that maniac,” Miranda boomed with joy. “Don’t you EVER call Mia a maniac. She is nothing like maniac,” Owen said holding Mia’s hand even tighter than before. “ Miranda, get out of here. He doesn’t have feelings for you anymore,” Mia exclaimed  in a stern voice. “I… I… I can’t believe you don’t like me anymore! I mean look at me,” Miranda told Owen while she flipped her hair. “Just get out of here, and leave my boyfriend alone,” Mia said as she slowly moved away from Miranda. As Mia started to walk away she heard a click and then a loud boom. Miranda had shot Owen. “NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!” Mia shouted as she fell onto her knees sobbing. “ That’s what he gets,” Miranda whispered as she disappeared with diabolical satisfaction.