The | Teen Ink

The

September 17, 2050. This is the day where the world turns from generally good, to complete evil. A day where peace is nowhere to be found. It was inevitable that this the day would come.

Every six months there were always new senatorial spots to be filled for each state, as the 17th amendment stated. The amendment gave the people the right to elect their officers, but this year something felt different. This year there was only 1 spot to be filled in the state of Pennsylvania. This one spot was for a dedicated man, who wanted to rule the United States in an orderly way. People from all over the country gathered to Pennsylvania because this event changed the way of government not only in this state, but the entire country. According to Amendment 17, the senatorial votes were up to the people, so this was the biggest democratic vote of the century. The main problem occurring throughout the 2050 century, was that the people didn’t have freedom of speech and the government made all the decisions, taking away the need for the peoples’ opinion. This was also similar to the era back in the 1900’s when people did not have freedom of speech either. Back then, people were limited in their rights as well, especially women and slaves.

Sooner or later,  the war between the people and government began. The citizens of the country turned into complete savages when they heard the news that someone was put into the vacant seat in the senate, without the peoples vote. Because of this, the citizens of the United States turned complete mad, ripping stores apart, burning buildings, and threatening to start a Civil War all over again.

There was a man, named Henry George, who rallied the citizens together to start a revolution and devise a plan to take the office away from the newly elected senator. His goal was to kill the leader of the government and his evil cabinet members. Which in a perfect world, Henry would be able to recreate the government and get the peoples right to vote back.

The head corrupted leader of the state of Pennsylvania led an unruly government, which had turned into a dictatorship. His name was Victor Guru. His plan was to take away all peoples rights and control them like puppets. They were told where to live, what to drive, what to eat, what to wear, and all of their individual choices were taken away. Even the peoples bank accounts were controlled and the government gave them money whenever they felt like it. It was no surprise that the citizens felt like rats trapped in a maze and they had to find a way to get their own lives back.

Henry, the citizen leader devised a plan, which needed five men and women from each neighborhood who met at the Liberty Bell everyday at 3:00. They communicated with code words that they created, so that the government was not able to understand what they were secretly planning. Eventually, this group grew from the first leaders to over an army of one thousand people. Even though the government had become very powerful, the sheer numbers of this group had a very high chance of  ultimately being successful by working together. There were some very smart scientists in the group that designed a gas that could be blown through the vents of independence hall, which would ultimately suffocate and kill the government and officials. The ironic thing about the whole plan was that it was to take place in Independence Hall, where the constitution was signed and created for the government and people to abide by. Ultimately, the people were going to have to kill the government, where it all began.

Victor, was feeling so confident on how he could control the rights of the citizens in Pennsylvania, but felt like he could even control the entire United States. Despite Victor’s aspirations, Henry had another plan and they were about to put it into action.

The group of citizens were making the final preparations to break into Independence Hall, to gas all the government officials. With the spies they had planted inside the building, they were able to acquire the schedule. There was a very high level, secret meeting scheduled for that coming Friday at 1:00 pm, and they were ready. Henry’s team dressed up as catering staff to get into the building undetected. They hid the gas containers in their duffle bags mixed in with the banquet food. Henry, on the way to the kitchen, ran into one of his old childhood friends, Morgan, who he didn’t know was part of the council. So, he quickly decided to change the plan.

Henry pulled his sidekick, Joe, aside and told him that they were only going to take out the head man, Victor, but no one else. He knew that his friend was a good man and that he could possibly change the council's minds, if they could just get rid of Victor. So, Henry had a backup vile of lethal poison just in case the plan might have changed. He told Joe, that he was in charge of poisoning the governor’s soup. Joe was up for the task, to end the madness. It was time to serve lunch and no one suspected a thing. They placed the beverages and soup on the table and left the room. Five minutes later, they heard the horrific screams, and they went running to the room to find the governor lying dead on the floor.

Henry’s friend, one of the council members, jumped up and ran over to Henry.

Henry said, “I represent the citizens of this state, I am warning you there will be violence, riots, and revolt against this government, unless we are given back our rights to speak and to be heard when electing our leaders.”

Morgan agreed and implored the council to act on his statement. There was silence in the room, as they looked at Victor lying on the floor.

Morgan called for a vote.

“Does everyone agree that we should give the citizens back their right to vote, based on the 17th amendment that was written HERE in this building? All in favor, say I.”

The entire room states, “I, in unison.”

This piece was written for my english 10 and U.S. History classes combined. The assignment was to create a combined short story about the 17th amendment and a twisted dystopian fiction. I chose the 17th amendment, because I was able to lead my story on to becoming a corrupted government through this amendment.