The Wish | Teen Ink

The Wish

On a night like this, the sky should be full of stars, but as I looked up, my legs almost gave out, not believing my eyes.  

Up in the sky were the stars, I had to squint my eyes to see it, the stars were so pretty and bright that it looked unnatural.  I was in this new, beautiful place.  I was surrounded by long, tall grass surrounded by glowing fireflies.  Then I saw her, she was nothing like what the rumors said, except one thing.  She was a true angel.  With her white blouse like shirt, with a black skirt and with something glowing above her which I think is a halo.  Then they turned around, her eyes like the stars and the moon, and her wings were so elegant.  She came up to me with her soft spoken voice and said “You are here because you are worthy of making a wish, so what will it be?”  I told her “I want something that i’ve lost back.”  “Alright that’s good enough” she said.  Then she reached her arms out pointing to the sky.  Then something came down; it was a tiny little star floating on her hands.  She turned to me and told me “Now hold this and think of your wish again.”  I did what she said, after I thought of my wish the star made a flash and I gave the star back to her and she put her arms up again and it floated back up.  “Now before you go,” she said “the star that stands out to you is your wish and it will come true if you always believe in it and believe in yourself, and you will know it came true when it becomes a shooting star.  But if you give up on it, it will Rot and become an asteroid.”  “Since we're done now,” she continued “I will have to send you back from where you came.”  “Before you send me back, what's your name?”  “Bliss'' she answered.  Then everything went dark.  I came back to where I was, this grass field by a cliff.  It was still the same time from when I left, it was like nothing happened.  I looked up at the sky to see that star and it was there, shining brightly.  From that moment on, I kept looking at that star and remembering my encounter with her.  Now it’s been 2 months since i've seen her, and my wish still hasn’t come true.  I know what I'm missing. I don’t believe in myself, I don’t have good self-esteem.  Maybe because I don’t have any friends.  So the next day I set off to school with the intention to find a friend.  I looked across my class to see who would be good, then I found this boy looking out the window, he was just like me.  He had short black hair with greenish eyes and was wearing his school uniform pretty neatly.  I went to introduce myself.  “Um hey I’m Jasper” I said to him cheerfully  “I’m Deon” He said I asked him if he wanted to have lunch together he said yes surprisingly.  We had a really good time, he started opening up about himself and we got closer and closer over the next couple weeks.  So close that I almost forgot about the wish.  Today he also invited me to sleepover at his house.  First we played a ton of board games and watched some movies then as we went into his room for the night I noticed a streek from the sky.  “Hey look a shooting star.”  Deon said.  As I was looking out the window tears starting falling on my face and then I noticed something.  I got it out and it was the photo I wished for back, the photo of me and my sister.