Drifting | Teen Ink

Drifting

September 8, 2023
By mvg0436 BRONZE, Pasadena, Texas
mvg0436 BRONZE, Pasadena, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Hours later, after her house had exploded,and the chaos in the neighborhood she began reminiscing about how the day started.

 


It all started the morning after she had discovered the shocking truth.She had spent the entire night brainstorming ways to escape without alerting anyone.Maybe she could sneak out through a window or try to fight back.But in the end,she realized there was no way out.She had to face them.

 


Feeling uneasy, she left her room and ventured down the hallway, which seemed to get narrower with each step she had been so naive she should have noticed she thought there was always something different about them almost as if they were made of plastic no emotions under their expressions and movements that felt too rehearsed.She realized she knew nothing about her so called "parents";Finally,she reached the top of the stairs and began to descend quietly.Out of nowhere,a mysterious figure appeared at the bottom of the stairs.It looked like her mother ,or at least that was what she was to supposed to call her.

 


In a split of a second her life flashed before her eyes as mother uttered "I know" while smirking.After school, the day before, as she opened the front door she had sensed an eerie atmosphere in the house.She walked to the living room and tried to turn on the lights,but there was no power.Perplexed,she noticed the tv playing what seemed to be a foreign news channel.She fixated on the screen as the announcer covered a missing person's case,and to her horror the picture of a little girl took over the screen--it was her,the missing child.

 


She did not question how her "mother" knew;she always knew.There was no hiding from her.Flight or fight instinct kicked in,and she made a run for it without looking back.She couldn't hear any footsteps, but her own heartbeat pounded in her ears.The front door was within reach,but something felt wrong it could not be easy to escape.

 


As soon as she stepped on the front lawn she was was met with horror. Chaos reigned in the street,with little green creatures running amok.She barely had a moment to process this when flames erupted from the house,followed by the deafening roar of an explosion.She lost consciousness, and when she woke up ,she had no notion of time,finding herself in an unfamiliar place the alien ship she knew in that moment the real truth she wasn't just kidnapped she had been living with the creatures for a long time they had just shown her what they wanted for their amusement there was no escape.


The author's comments:

The story is a metaphor about abusive relationships