Kiss or Kill | Teen Ink

Kiss or Kill

By kristhewriter BRONZE, Calera, Alabama
kristhewriter BRONZE, Calera, Alabama

"Art is the gift of God, and must be used unto His glory. That in art is highest which aims at this.” - Michelangelo

The sun is rising above the horizon. 

Alora awakes to the sound of servants dashing from one room. The sun’s rays are beaming from her window. She gets up and takes a look from her balcony view. The villagers are like tiny ants from her panorama. One day, she will rule over the whole kingdom of Antipalos. For the last eighteen years, she has been preparing herself for the custody of the crown. With her mother getting old and sick, it shouldn't be too long before she is announced. Though true, her younger sister, Aniyah, has different plans for the monarchy. A knock from Alora’s door startles her from her thoughts. “You may come in,” Alora says. A tiny woman comes from behind the door with a basket of fresh laundry. “Thank you,” Alora smiles. The tiny maid curtsies and heads out the door. Alora glances at the set attire for the day: a dainty, periwinkle gown, a matching belt, and tiny butterfly clips for her mane. Unlike Aniyah, Alora prefers to get ready without servants so she can tend to their ill mother faster. Alora takes her thick, beautiful hair into a bun and adds many butterfly clips around it. Satisfied with her attire, she walks across the hall where her mother lies.

As soon as the selfless princess opens the door, she is greeted with full coughs and wheezing. A lanky maid with purple skin and locs like vines pours her more herbal tea, and puts a fresh cold towel on her forehead. The Queen of Antipalos’ skin is thinning, and her long hair is dying. Her once golden eyes have become dull. The power in her voice has run out, and her fight against oxygen is significant. Doctors from around the region investigated this mysterious illness, and all have come to one conclusion: she doesn’t have much time left. 

The Queen attempts to drink the tea herself, but Alora assists her by lifting the cup to her lips. Aniyah leans against the doorframe, analyzing Alora’s kind gestures. Her blazing green eyes are filled with disgust. She plays with her knee-length blonde locs and listens to every word. 

Kiss up, much? 

“You must not w-waste your time tending to me, for I am old and bound to die a-anyway.” the queen states. The queen violently coughs some more. Aniyah flinches with revulsion while Alora’s heart mourns for her mother. “What I want you to d-do is to go to Earthgraven Empire. The p-prince wants to h-have a meeting with y-you about future p-projects. I was to g-go, but it’s pretty evident I-I’m not in the best condition as of now.” Alora nods. 

With haste, Aniyah walks to the throne room. I cannot believe out of all people she chose Alora for an inter-empire project! Aniyah bursts through the doors of the room. All of the knights flinch. I need to find a way to get rid of her. Mother is knocking on the door to her death, and the crown will slip out of her frail hands and to Alora. 

The jealousy inside of Aniyah has a tie over her heart. It blazes through her tongue, seeping through the words like, “I’ll miss you, and stay safe on your project.”

“I will,” Alora says, “and please behave. You need to take care of Mother while I’m gone.” “Yeah, I know,” Aniyah responds, trying to make it sound like she cares for the old woman. A gut-wrenching feeling arises in Alora’s stomach but she pushes it down. Ever since they were little, Alora would always detect if Aniyah was up to something. But maybe she has a change of heart. Maybe she would think rationally and care for others as much as she cares for her looks. 

Maybe…

Alora is off. Without considering her daily responsibilities, Aniyah detours around the castle to the village. She senses the villagers' stares and mumbles. “Shouldn’t you peasants be heading to your duties?”Aniyah snaps. Everyone attends to their task as if nothing has happened. After passing bakeries, shops, and houses, Aniyah comes across one house in particular. It’s run down, charred marks from inflammation are still present, and the odor is enough to kill thousands of crops at a time. 

Just perfect for what Aniyah hopes to do. 

She knocks on the door and says, “Princess Aniyah here with a request,” 

The door opens, and out comes a young man with brown skin, thin clothes, and hair like waves. Aniyah looks to his ear and spots a shiny pearl. Aniyah’s suspicion becomes strong.   

He looks a bit too charming to be a peasant. The young princess collects herself. “By what do I owe this splendid visit, Your Majesty?” The young peasant questions. He gives a small bow. Aniyah rolls her eyes. “Would you like to step insi–” 

“No, thank you that would not be necessary. Let’s talk out here.” Aniyah interrupts. Confusion clouds over his face. A million possibilities and questions come running through his head. But since he is around royalty, he must behave accordingly. He motions the royal to a small dining area by the isolated house and starts working on the crops. It is almost harvest season and barely any nutrition has come. Nothing unusual for him. “Alright, I am not here to chat with you, boy, I’m here to give you a task– a task with green-filled awards.” The peasant stops mid-pick. Aniyah smiles. Anything to perceive innocence. Money may not seem like a void closer, but the young man always thought so. The endless nights where he would go to sleep not knowing where his mother was at night, the bread crumbs in sack bags he would steal from markets, and begging on the streets, all reminded him that he was without money. Though a reward sounds soothing to the ears, his father always told him to be cautious with every offer. “What kind of task?” he asks. He drops the plant and sits across from Aniyah. Aniyah strokes his hand ever so gently. She smiles and looks straight into his brown eyes. “What is your name?” Aniyah inquires. 

“David,” he replies. What the heck is going on? Where are her guards?

“Well David, I have a huge task to give you. And if you succeed not only will you climb out of borderline poverty, but I will reward you with a royal position in the court.” The manipulating princess’s voice becomes lower. “I want you to kill Alora, the future queen of Antipalos.” 

Her voice is sharp. David stares back at her, completely unbelieving of her words. “Wait what–”

“You heard me,” Aniyah says, annoyance creeping into every syllable. 

“You’ve got to be kidding,” David laughs, “is this what you wealthy individuals do for fun? Play tricks on your subjects and bond about it over tea?” Aniyah’s eyebrows raise. David’s throat is now dry. Regret suffocates him. 

“You mock me?

“Absolutely not, Your Majesty.” 

“Then do you accept my offer?”

“Well–”

“Do you want to live or not?!” Aniyah snaps. 

David's eyebrows are knit together, his Adam’s apple bobbing in his throat. His eyes narrow, clicking with Aniyah’s. A smile spreads across her face. 

“And you’ll give me money and a position in your court?” 

“You have my word.”

David nods- not once but twice. 

“Excellent.” Aniyah stands up and David follows her.

“Just promise me that no one will find out it’s me.” David requests. 

“Trust me, there is nothing to worry about. Soon, both of us will get what we want.” 

It’s been a week since David has been living in the palace. The plan was simple: convince Alora that David is a duke from a foreign country, spend enough time with her to develop feelings, catch her alone, kill her, and become a royal official.

Sounds easy enough.

Accept it’s not. 

Step one was surprisingly easy for Aniyah, though she introduced David when Alora was exhausted from her project. Steps two and three have passed and are exchanged by both of them. 

Annoyance creeps up David’s spine. He takes hold of the dagger he is supposed to use for the murder. Aniyah’s words echo in his mind:

You have two weeks to do this, or our deal is off and everyone with your last name will join my mother in their grave.

A week has gone by and no progress has been made. Alora’s bond with David has been getting stronger and stronger by the minute. Every dance, every laugh, every hug, every word

has

driven

him

insane. 

David takes a look at what he is sacrificing his dignity for.  Marble flooring, a bed to sleep on, books for all occasions, servants left and right, and food always at your disposal. Guilt haunts David day and night. It grips his heart when it yearns for Alora’s presence. It pushes his lips to say,  I can’t wait to kill you but forces him to say, I love you.

And Alora, a foolish girl who never experienced such eros love, fell hard for the guy with a dagger behind his back. She tells stories of how they went to picnics with Aniyah. And Aniyah, not wanting to reveal her plan, acts happy for her. Both of them are delusional about different aspects of the situation. But David isn’t oblivious to anything. As a matter of fact, he acknowledges his love for Alora. He has tried everything to get rid of the feeling. Nothing works. A knock at the door pushes David from his wonder. He quickly hides the dagger in the drawer and puts on a smile. “You can come in,” he says. Alora comes from behind the door. Oxygen has now become a sacred resource for David. The longer he looks at her eyes, her hair freshly braided, the mint green dress her skin perfectly compliments, the harder it is for him to remain collected. He tries to avert his eyes from something else, but her presence is like a human magnet. No one can turn away. Alora makes no effort to hide her affection. She smiles in his direction and takes his hand as David takes hers. He kisses her butterfly ring. Both of them stare for a moment. “So, are you ready for the gala tonight? I can’t wait to formally introduce you to my mother and the rest of the royal staff.” 

“What if they don’t like me?” David asks. Alora’s eyes become wide. 

“They will absolutely love you! You’re honest and charming, and you do what’s right. That’s all this county needs.” Guilt brings its hands around David’s throat, threatening him to respond to such a statement. David brings his lips to hers and the world stops in time for both of them. Both of what they longed for is in each other: love. 

David breaks the kiss and whispers, “I love you.” 

The pounding sound of heels makes both of them jump. Aniyah appears in the doorframe. “Let’s go, everyone is in the throne room waiting for you. I’m tired of looking like an idiot.” 

You always look like one, Alora thinks. 

Alora whispers something to David and leaves without him. David follows, but Aniyah’s hand grabs him by the arm. “Do I have to remind you what your mission is? I didn't assign you as a husband, I assigned you to be an assassin. I expect her to be dead, and fast.” Aniyah says, each word cutting into David’s heart. Aniyah's long, blonde locs are in a bun and she is wearing a deep red dress. “Your hands better match the color of my dress by midnight.” Aniyah leaves, leaving David to make the ultimate decision that decides his future forever. He takes a steady breath and grabs the dagger from the drawer. His brown eyes narrow. Every step he takes is with authority. 

The indecisive peasant now knows what he has to do. 

After multiple speeches, toasts, and dances, Alora looks for time with David. With him being in the lowest class, it’s not often he gets invited to galas. He sips his red wine and stands in the corner. With one hand in his pocket, he fidgets with the dagger. David spots Aniyah dancing on top of a table. With her body language and multiple cups of wine in her hand, she is obviously drunk. And this is the girl who thinks she is more suitable for the crown. David rolls his eyes. He steps outside to the palace pavilion. David takes a seat and thinks hard. Okay, if I kill Alora, I lose the love of my life, but if I don’t I will get killed and my whole family will come to ruins.

Perfect. 

Alora catches David’s eye. Alora’s world lights up, but a gut feeling overwhelms it. She takes more steps to David. Alora sits next to him. David plays with her coils, pulling each one to see them spring back up. “David, I need you to be honest with me,” Alora starts. The air gets thicker and gravity is pushing down on both of them. David’s heartbeat gradually gets faster. “Are you seeing my sister?” 

Silence. Alora glances at  David’s face. His eyes brim with water as he hides a growing smile on his face. “I-I’m sorry I just–” 

“You find this funny?” Alora inquires. 

“N-no not at all. I just think it’s amusing that you ever think I am in love with your sister.”

Alora recoils. “What’s wrong with Aniyah?” 

A familiar red dress comes into David’s view. His smile drops and his eyes become dark. “What about me?” Aniyah chimes in. She sips her red wine and sways from side to side. David pulls Alora gently to his side. “Hey, I thought I told you to have her dead by midnight.” 

Confusion clouds Alora’s face. Every suspicion, every doubt of David comes hitting her at once. “YOU WERE GOING TO KILL ME?!” Alora yells. David tries to grab her hand and explain that he isn’t going to, but there is no time. The future queen rushes into the castle to alert the guards.  David punches his hand into the wall, causing multiple bruises and blood to drip on his hand.  He curses under his breath. He curses his brain, his heart, the world, Aniyah, and himself. There is nothing he can do now. 

Aniyah takes another sip of wine. “That was pretty dumb.” 

“Please shut up!” 

“If you were to listen to me this would have never happened!” 

David’s brain switches to autopilot. With haste, he grabs the dagger from his pocket and stabs her squarely in the chest. Her green eyes go lifeless, and the blood camouflages itself with her dress. He quickly runs into the castle, hoping to find Alora. 

After running for what seems to be an eternity, he finds her in her mother’s bedroom. The Queen is unmoved. Her eyes are closed; her body is cold. Servants put a long piece of cloth over her, and they all bow in respect. 

Inhumane sobs let go from Alora’s mouth. The servants leave, leaving David in the room with Alora. “I’m sorry,” David whispers. 

Alora turns around to him, dark eyes filled with hurt. “I loved you! I loved her–” 

“I still love you!” David says. 

“You tried to kill me–”

“But I didn’t!” 

“How am I supposed to trust you now?”

David takes a deep breath. He closes the space in between them. 

A beat. 

“Because my hands are the same color as her dress.”

I am an African American writer so representation is important to me. As I started to read, I noticed that Fantasy is mostly white-dominate. My goal isn't to make genres completely POC-dominant but to remind  POC readers that you are valid and important.

You will see a couple of Greek words in this piece, which amplifies my love for cultures and different languages. 

Shorthairdontcare SILVER, Houston Area, Texas
THIS IS SO GOOD!