Immoral Sun | Teen Ink

Immoral Sun

By dunde60 BRONZE, Kearney, Missouri
dunde60 BRONZE, Kearney, Missouri

Within the vast ocean, beneath the unforgiving waves, lived a young and fair Princess of the Sea. Despite that her father’s power eliminated all valid threats toward her, she often filled her days with the rigorous training of her being. 

Her trainer and older brother, Prince Adriatis, knew her best. At times, the Princess Serena often wondered if he was the only one who really knew her at all. He was tough, but always made sure to reward his sister when she made him proud. He would speak of his formidable adventures on shore, the Glory of the Sun in his hair and the sweet Breeze in his lungs. 

His dear sister became enamored with his romantic tales of the world above, wondering what he looked like without his dark green tail. Wondering what she might look like without her pale one. She worked hard to please him, if only to draw out more of his fantastical saga. From what she could tell, there was no Heartbreak up above. No Loss in the shimmering Sun. Danger, yes, but none in the realm of the Soul. Each day, her innate lust for the surface grew stronger and stronger until she couldn’t help but ask.

“Oh Brother, won’t you take me with you? Won’t you give me legs of my own and show me this world you speak of?” His usually golden face went pale as pearls. 

“Certainly not. I couldn’t bear any disappointment, nor could I brave the seas if you were to leave my side in favor of the land.”

“I would never forsake you, Brother. An adventure such as this will only strengthen our bond. We will go together and stay together, for always.” Adriatis seemed to consider this.

“I suppose one small trip would not do much harm,” he said tentatively. Serena pulled him into a tight embrace before hurriedly swimming away to prepare for her trip.

She awoke at dawn, ready to begin the ascent. The Prince took her hand in his and they swam together toward the glimmering surface. She was careful not to rip her blue dress as they beached themselves atop a cluster of rocks. Serena clutched the potion for her new legs in her hands as her brother explained the process.

“This will give you the Legs of Man for three days. By the end of the three days, you must return to the Sea.”

“And if I do not?” she asked as she drank deeply.

“You shall meet your end. Or greet the end of another’s humanity,” he spoke gravely. Despite her promise of loyalty, he knew her Heart would always yearn for the bright and new. It would surely shatter him if the Princess were to leave him with nothing but the harsh current and their harsher father for company. “Do not trouble yourself with such things. I will see you back safe.”

And with that, the pair of legged Merfolk made their way up the beach. Serena’s new legs seemed to come equipped with the knowledge of how to use them. Each step felt odd, but her strides were strong and steady despite it. They made their way up the hill and entered the small seaside town.

For the rest of the day, the Princess of the Sea saw new sights, smelled new scents, and felt new sensations. She felt as if she couldn’t keep her eyes wide enough to take it all in. When it was finally time to sleep, Prince Adriatis showed her the way to the palace, so different from their own. Apparently, he had long ago made friends with the king of the town, and thus, was granted access whenever he may please. She marveled at the bed, how good it felt to be enveloped in warmth, how fast the day had seemed to go by.

In the morning, she had her first official meeting with a human, the Princess Auresthia. Her flowing hair was the same golden hue and Serena’s own, and her eyes like the cool morning mists. As they were introduced, she smiled with the radiance of a thousand stars. But what truly sent Serena’s Heart aflutter was the way the Princess gently brushed her lips over the knuckles of the hand she had taken in her grasp.

As they conversed over a meal more luxurious than any to be had under the sea, Serena could not be described as anything other than utterly captivated with the radiant woman before her. Later on that day, her brother would express his joy at her finding a female companion. He was most oblivious to just how far her feelings went. Never before had she met such a bright and lively person. Not even her brother, though he was indeed mighty and humorous, had ever held her attention in such a way.

As the lovely human Princess accompanied the Merfolk up and down the bustling streets, Serena could not help but imagine what her life could be like here. She longed not only for a lifelong bond with the prized new woman, but for this life she had of open skies and unending mortal luxuries. The Princess of the Sea took in as much of it as she could, wishing for the day to never end.

And there, in the back of her mind, were the words her brother had spoken. You shall meet your end. Or greet the end of another’s humanity. He had been purposefully vague, but she understood his meaning all the same; humanity could not be forged from nothing. It had to be taken from another if she wanted to stay here.

And she did. The rest of her life seemed a murky dream compared to the explosion of life and joy around her. How could she go back now? Serena once again thought of the overwhelming beauty of Auresthia, and of the Princess’s decidedly perfect life. A pure, lovely specimen of humanity ripe for the taking. She would have to reason with her brother once it was done, but until then, she had work to do, and a sacrifice to make.

This is a Little Mermaid retelling.