A New Life | Teen Ink

A New Life

It’s just another Monday morning, stalling to get out of bed, not wanting to go to school. There’s constant yelling from my mom that rings in my ear saying, “ Ronald Joseph Granger! Get out of bed…or your grounded this weekend!” When I hear this, it is my Q that it’s time to get up, even if I don’t want to. So, I get out of bed, and throw on a red sweatshirt, a pair of jeans and race downstairs to get some breakfast. I took my toast, gave my mom a quick smile and headed out the door onto Beverly Street.
The walk to school was bearable. I kept thinking how my first day of eighth grade was going to be. I never have been one of the “popular” people at school. I was very tall I had light brown hair and brown eyes, overall a very plain person. Though, as I walked onto the school grounds, of coarse it was just my luck to run into the people who bullied me last year, Tom and Billy. All I did was pray inside my head that they wouldn’t do anything to me. And strangely, when I walked by them they didn’t do anything to me. To me it was definitely a shocker and I think they could tell as I gave them a look of both surprised and confused, but they just stared then swiftly looked away.
So far, this had been the best day of my life at this school, and it got better. My best friend James was in my homeroom: which I was definitely excited about. James was tall, but still shorter than me. He had dark brown hair, green eyes and a lot of freckles on his face. We have been inseparable since the first day of second grade when he moved to Corpus Christi, Texas. Though, as happy as I was everything just wasn’t the same. It was different than what I thought… but it was secretly what I hoped. Today, everyone was staring at me like something was wrong, could I have gotten even more ugly over the summer? No, that couldn’t be it because girls, a lot of them, kept smiling at me.
I didn’t know what to think, in a way I liked it and secretly didn’t want them to look away. So I told James other wise and that if it hadn’t have been for him that I would’ve never gotten through the day without yelling at someone. I expected the rest of the week to be different again but it was the same over and over again! I decided I would just try to ignore it, even though it wasn’t helping so far. But three weeks later something scary but amazing happened…
It was Friday night and my parents were out to eat and my sister was at her friend’s house. I was alone but it was all right with me. Then suddenly, I thought about how all I wanted in the world right now was to spend time with my best friend. At the very last word of my thoughts, the doorbell rang. I went to open it and there he was, James. I asked him what he was doing here and he told nothing he just felt like he had to be here. It took me a minute to think of what had just happened, so I told him to come in and I would be right back. He sat in the living room as I sprinted up the stairs into my room.
When I got there I had to try it again, and I thought, I thought hard about something I wanted just to prove myself that it was just a coincidence that James just happened to come over. I closed my eyes and thought, I thought about something simple, about how I would like my mother to call me and tell me that she would be home later than expected and that James could sleepover if I wanted. I opened my eyes and exactly ten seconds later the phone rang… it was my mom. She told me all I wanted to hear.
It was then that I realized whatever I wanted, as long as I thought it: I could have.

This realization scared me, but it made me feel strong and powerful. And I knew I had to tell James. So once again I ran downstairs and told him all about my experience. At first, I thought he was going to say I was crazy but then he showed a face that said, “I believe you.” Suddenly I got an idea of a way I could prove it to him. I accidentally yelled, “Tell me something to think about, that you want.” He looked at me then said,
“ Think about wanting some pizza that’s delivered right to your door step, and it’s free.
I though, and concentrated as hard as I could, it took a little longer than ten seconds but sure enough, we heard a BONG. We rushed to the front door seeing a large pizza just lying there, and a pizza guy getting chased down the street by a black lab.

James took hold of the pizza and stared at me with wide eyes like he couldn’t believe what had just happened. Then his mouth opened, “ Y-you really can get stuff you want by thinking it! I didn’t know what to think, but now… this is amazing!” he paused but continued short after. “ Do you know how this happened? It’s so ironic that this would happen to us, I mean you. Imagine the things we could do, and how people would think of you, you would be popular!”
At this I had to say something, “We can’t tell anyone! I wouldn’t be popular, I would be a freak and I trusted you. So that means you can’t tell either! Got it?” He mumbled something I could quite understand but it sounded somewhat like a yes, so I let it go. The next couple of weeks weren’t the same with James, he wasn’t very talkative and he would barely ever look at me. But I knew I had to talk to him, so I went to his house on Monday and told him I really needed to talk to him. I told him how hard it was trying to control my thoughts so nothing would happen to anyone. He apologized to me, and told me he was sorry for going overboard.
I knew that if I would just talk to him it would all work out, and it did. We were back to talking non-stop mostly about my new power. It didn’t bother me that much, I just had to be careful what I thought about… my life went back to normal, well as close to normal as it would get. It when I saw James sprinting down my street heading straight for my house that I knew something was wrong again. But it wasn’t the wrong I was expecting. I thought he would be mad at me for something else, but he wasn’t, this was serious. His little sister had gotten hurt pretty badly.
“Julie was playing on the slide trying to climb up, then she just fell all the way from the very top. I went over to her she was breathing but she wouldn’t open her eyes. So I thought I could some over here and ask you to help with your power and all. But we have to hurry because she’s just lying there,” James explained trying to catch his breath.
Right after he was done explaining, we both darted out the door. And I thought hard, I wished about having a new very fast scooter that would get us to the park very fast. Soon enough, it came right out of thin air this time. We hopped on and tore off down the street. We got there, and without even thinking it a phone fell into my hand. I dialed at top speed and within five minutes the ambulance was there, and as soon as they came they were gone.
I was left with James in the waiting room. I knew what he wanted me to think so I thought about it hard and didn’t take my mind off of wanting Julie to be all right and not have anything seriously wrong. But this thought didn’t happen right away, I was confused… wasn’t this supposed to happen within seconds? I thought I had failed my best friend, and then the doctor came in. He told us, “I don’t know how it happened, but it was miracle. At first we thought she wasn’t going to fully recover, she had many things wrong but suddenly she seemed fine. Everything in her body went back to normal except a few broken bones, but those will heal fast. I know nothing more than I've already told you, all I can say is that it was a surprise to me that she survived with nothing more than a few broken bones. Congrats.” He turned away and left the room with a smile of utter disbelief and delight.

James and I suddenly looked at each other. He had the biggest smile on his face, a smile of thanks. I grinned back glad that I helped. When we left the hospital he kept saying thank you over and over again and all I could tell him was that I finally knew why I had gotten this power in the first place, and that was to be able to help people who really needed it, just like his sister. We both giggled with joy and excitement, because with us together helping people we knew we would be just like superheroes saving people one life at a time. All we needed now was for James to get a power, I thought to myself. James shot a look at me and mouthed the words
“I know what you just thought about, I could read your mind!”
Right then, I knew in my heart and mind that we would be unstoppable, at that he looked up and grinned.

distant_dreamer GOLD, Belmont, New Hampshire

"Life's a climb, but the view is great!"

Wow, I like this story a lot! :) You are very talented! Keep writing!

Hope_Princess BRONZE, Hebron, New Hampshire

"Hope sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible."

This is such a cool story! I really like their superpowers but if I had the "thought" superpower, that would be really bad if I got angry and thought about my enemies dropping dead. lol!

Keep writing!