Sanavich House Part 2 | Teen Ink

Sanavich House Part 2

By BubblyBurlee BRONZE, Mt. Olive, Illinois
BubblyBurlee BRONZE, Mt. Olive, Illinois

Connor’s P.O.V.

My alarm went off. 9 0’clock already. I sat up, yawning, and scratching my chin full of prickly hairs. I had to remember to shave this morning before classes. I could hear Jackson grumble something about shooting my alarm as he pushed his pillow tightly over his head. I hit the off button and was about to go wash up for breakfast when I got an even better idea. I waited quietly until Jackson was back to snoring and picked up my alarm clock. I turned the volume all the way up and changed the station before setting it right beside his head. He was such a grumpy sleeper it was hard not to mess with him sometimes.

I hid out in the hall way watching…waiting..

Exactly a minute later, the alarm started making an obnoxious fuzzy noise, due to bad connection of the station. Jackson jumped so bad he fell off the bed. I busted into laughter, but was taken by surprised when an alarm clock was flying at my head. I ducked and stepped backwards a couple steps.

“I’m going to kill you!” he growled, standing up. I didn’t know what he was capable of doing, but I wasn’t going to stand around and find out.

Still laughing, I ran down the stairs, him close behind me. Once I stepped off the last step and turned the corner into the kitchen, I ran right into Mrs. Buckley, and Jackson ran right into me.

“Goodness, boys!” She said, dusting herself off, “Slow down.”

Me and Jackson lined up, like we were suppose to when we were in the presence of the head masters.

“Sorry, Mrs. Buckley, I was just having a little fun with Jack.” I gave her my cunning smile.

“I’m sure you were, Mr. Wexler.” She stepped past me and looked from me to Jackson. That’s when I noticed it, and I couldn’t help but chuckle.

“And Mr. Sanders,” She snuck a smile at me before looking back to Jackson, “You might want to put some clothes on. There are girls in this house, who I’m sure do not want to see you in your whitey-tighties.”

When she turned back into the kitchen, Jackson mumbled, “not as bad as you wanted to, Miss,” and rolled his eyes.

I laughed harder and he punched me in the shoulder. “Go upstairs and change, Romeo. Mrs. Buckley awaits her prince in actual clothing.” He tried to punch me again, but I quickly walked into the kitchen and out of his reach.

At the table I sat in my normal seat in next to Luke, but Etha sat on the other side of me where Jackson would normally be. At table with 19 whack jobs, there was always some kind of interesting conversations going on, but I couldn‘t keep up with any of them.

Usually they would separate us for breakfast. The girls would wake up thirty minutes earlier to eat, then we’d eat when they were done. But today, something was going on. Mr. and Mrs. Buckley told us yesterday they had an announcement to make. Curiosity and rumors were floating around the table as we scarfed down our oatmeal.

Finally Mr. Buckley came in, alone, and sat at the head of the table. “Good morning, everyone.” He smiled. Mr. Buckley was a big man. He wasn’t big in a fat way, but in the body guard tough way. I guess he had to be for the job he has, incase one of us weirdo’s decides to attack.

“Good morning!” Everyone, mostly the girls, chirped back. Some of the guys grumbled a good morning, but I just sat back and waited for the news. Mr. Buckley wasn’t a bad guy, he had never mistreated anyone that I knew of, but he wasn’t someone I personally wanted to talk to when I first woke up.

He leaned forward, his elbows on the table as he said, “Today there will be no classes.” Every one cheered. Didn’t they know the outcome of no classes? I did, and I definitely wasn’t cheering. “Which means today will be a chore day.” Everyone groaned.

“Why is today a chore day?” asked Ali, she was the newest girl to the house, and didn’t know as much as the older members, like me.

Mr. Buckley gave her a pleased smile, he loved questions. “Good question, Ali. Today there are no classes because we are getting a new student. I expect you all to be on your best behavior and help her out with anything she needs. Mrs. Buckley will explain where she is bunking when she introduces her. Now, if you excuse me, I’ll let you all finish eating.”

When all the dishes were piled into the sink, we all separated to do our chores. I was paired with Brady and Josh to clean the living room area, which was so awesome to them since that’s where the new girl would be.

We walked into the living room, carrying our supplies. I was staring down at the floor; I knew how it felt to be new at a psycho house and have everyone stare at you. It wasn’t the best feeling in the world.

“Hello, boys,” Mrs. Buckley stood. We got into our line, setting our supplies on the ground and that’s when I saw her. She had black, curly hair the flowed over her shoulders and almost neon green looking eyes. She was the prettiest girl that I have ever set my eyes on. Especially in this hell hole of a house. Why was someone so normal looking, so beautiful here? Because she had a problem, didn’t we all?

“Boys, this is Roselyn Fairuhl. Roselyn this is Brady, Josh, and Connor.” She pointed at each one of us.

She nodded, without a smile on her face. An older couple stood behind her, one with each hand on her shoulders. They were an older couple, they looked too old to be her parents, but I pushed that back, it wasn’t any of my business anyways.

“Well, I can show you up to your room now, and if you like, your grandparents can come along and help you unpack.” Mrs. Buckley offered. Wow, her grandparents? I wonder why her parents weren’t here.. OH MY GOD CONNOR, stop it!

“We really must be on our way,” Said the older woman, obviously her grandmother. They said their goodbyes and the couple left. It was weird, but it didn’t even seem to phase Roselyn.

“Wow, she’s just,” Brady started, “Breath taking.” He had his eyes on her ever since we walked into till the moment her and Mrs. Buckley went up the stairs to the girls side.

I plugged in the mini vacuum, but Josh unplugged it before I could turn it on and start vacuuming the coaches.

“Hey!” I shoved him aside and plugged it back on. “I don’t know or care about you two dorks, but I’d like to get my chores done as fast as I can.”

Josh stepped away. The look on his face screamed that he thought I was overreacting. Maybe I was, but I didn’t care to hear them babble on about Roselyn. I had other things to worry about.

I turned the vacuum on and ran it across the first couch. The living room area was just like any ordinary living room. It was loaded with coaches and chairs, and a wide screen TV with a DVD player. Mr. Buckley explained very often how they want us kids to feel at home here, so anything that we would normally have at our homes, we have here, except for cell phones.

When we were done in the living room, I headed up to my room. I needed to get away from all the buzzing news about this new girl and her problems. Truthfully, I didn’t care. It’s her business not ours.

I was just to the top of the stairs when I heard my name being called. I turned around to see Etha leaning against the railing. Being rude to the guys in this house is one thing, but I just can’t be rude to the girls. No matter how much they annoyed me. Like Etha.

“Hey, what’s up?” I started back down the steps to meet her.

Ehta flipped her red hair, “I was just wondering if you wanted to go out and play ball with me?”

On the inside, I was dying to tell her no, and to stop following me around like she was my girlfriend.

“Sure. “

We found Mrs. Buckley in the kitchen with Roslyn sitting at the table. I got permission to go out to play basketball and we heated into the back yard to the concrete block.

“So what do you think about the new girl? She seems kind of weird to me.” Etha said, grabbing the ball from my arms and dribbling it a couple times. “ I mean, you can just look at her and see that she’s a complete lunatic.”

“Etha,” I shot her a look, “pass me the ball.”