Henningtom: Part 11 | Teen Ink

Henningtom: Part 11

By skyblue95 PLATINUM, Bear, Delaware
skyblue95 PLATINUM, Bear, Delaware

I am paraphrasing, of course. "My only fear is that when they are turned to loving they will find we are turned to hating." -Reverand Msimangu, Cry, The Beloved Country (a book by Alan Paton)

“I’m helping you,” Sidle said.

“What are you talking about?”

“Shh! What did I just say? These animals will kill you if you so much as lift a finger right now,” Sidle told me.

“Okay, please explain what this is all about. Now. Everything in this world is creeping me out and I don’t think I can take it anymore. I’m about to just fall asleep right here right now.”

“No! That’ll ruin everything! Look, there are things about Henningtom that you’re just not ready to know yet. Jiggleweed isn’t bad, and I’m telling you this because I know that’s what you think and I would hate to have anyone thinking ill about Jiggleweed.” She looked around again and, after making sure no one was eavesdropping on our conversation, said, “I can’t tell you everything right now, you’ll have to wait ‘till we’re alone. But I can tell you that this is all a part of the Queen’s plan. The animals inside of that castle there are horrid, horrid creatures. They are plotting to take over Henningtom and the Queen has sent Jiggleweed and myself to be, oh, what are they called in your world…?”

“Double agents?” I supplied.

“Yes, double agents. So to speak. Anyway, we’re supposed to be keeping an eye on everything and reporting any ill-doings back to the Queen.” I must have still looked suspicious because Sidle shook her huge wolf head and said, “Maya, why would Jiggleweed have made sure I came with you here, and that I was the one looking after you out here, if he didn’t want us to have some time almost alone so that I could explain all of this to you?”

“I believe you, I believe you,” I said. “So what’s next?”

“Shh.” Jackal and another big and burly “wox” walked up to us just then from out of a dark corridor of the castle.

“Maya, this is Histher,” Jackal said, and Histher grudgingly bowed his head low.

“Welcome, young visitor,” Histher said, lifting his head. “I trust you’ve had a nice journey here?” I shook my head once and he laughed, seeming to shake the entire courtyard we were standing in with it. “Let’s go inside and see my master.” We all walked inside the castle, and I could see not a thing. It was completely dark and very dismal and uninviting. Plus, it smelled like 4,000 years had gone by and no one so much as took a duster to a window pane. But what I saw next was most horrifying.

There was Jiggleweed, sitting on a high throne, looking as evil as they come.

Continuation...