Someone is in My Head | Teen Ink

Someone is in My Head

By Pretzel..Dream GOLD, Longmont, Colorado
Pretzel..Dream GOLD, Longmont, Colorado

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~Thomas Edison

Chris began to question the wisdom of this trip. His mom had said it would be fun yet he was so bored that he was having difficulty staying awake. Peering out the car window Chris saw factories gushing light green smoke. Fun was definitely not his description of what he was seeing, besides his little sister was balling in her booster seat which made it worse.

His only real comfort was the voice whispering in his ear. He didn't exactly care if it was real or not it took his mind off the “wonderful” trip that his parents had insisted they simply had to go on.

Why did you listen to them Chris? You always hate trips so do I you could of vetoed it. Said the voice.

I didn't listen to them, I listened to you.

Yet still you ignored me? Ha, you never consider my opinions.

The voice was being annoying again so Chris had lost his comfort and a lame friend. His boredom lulled him to sleep and he didn't arouse until the family reached their destination.

Chris rubbed his eyes and looked around there was a small gray building sitting in front of him that could have been pleasant if somebody had bothered to keep it from falling apart, “Where are we mum?” Chris asked.

“You don't need to know,” she said walking towards the door, “Bring your sister.”

Inside Chris found himself face to face with a guy who's hair that wasn't gray was black at the ends and smoking. The man actually stuck out his hand for Chris to shake, “Doctor Bill, and you are?” Chris was still staring at Doctor Bill's hand, it dropped slowly as if wounded.

“Chris. Who are you?”

“I just told you I'm Doctor Bill.”

“That's not what I meant. I meant what do you do?”

“Like a job?” Asked Bill, Chris nodded, “I fix people.”

Chris's eyes widened, the voice in his head made weird gagging sounds, “You mean like when someone takes their dog to the vet and the vet-?”

“Oh heavens no!” Dr. Bill shuddered cutting off Chris's question, “That's disgusting work that is. I fix problems people have like diseases, or mutations.”

“What sort of mutations?” Chris asked.

“Enough of that talk lets get down to business,” said Chris's mom smiling.

“Business? I thought we were going on a trip.”

“We are hon, but this trip involves business,” at this point his mom had started to sweat.

“Have you not told the boy? What a horrid single mother you make, Larry would've told him,” said Doctor Bill, “go ahead now that you've got him all freaked he deserves to know even more now than he did before.”

“But-”

“Mary Revooser. Tell him NOW!”

“Fine, Chris we are here to,” she stopped, looking near tears, “to remove the voice.”

The change of mood in the room was immediately noticeable.

“No!” Screamed Chris and the voice together and at the same time his sister started to cry.

Chris decided to let the voice talk maybe, just maybe he would find out who he had been talking too, “if you remove me,” said the voice, “I will never be heard.”

“Who are you?” asked Chris's mom.

“Your daughter. I've always know that my mouth didn't work right. The only way I can talk to you is through Chris.”

“My sister is in my head?!” Said Chris then he fell backwards losing consciousness.

Pretzel..Dream GOLD, Longmont, Colorado

I'm working on it :)

popcorn33 said...
more please..............

popcorn33 said...
I really, really want to know what happens next.  Please write more.  I love where the story is going and want to know what the voice is.