Parallels | Teen Ink

Parallels

September 15, 2011
By DreamingOurWorld GOLD, Irvine, California
DreamingOurWorld GOLD, Irvine, California
18 articles 0 photos 12 comments

I woke up. I put on clothes. I seem to be going through the same routine every day.

It feels like I’m dead for the most part. I still have to go school, even though I’m nine. In a few months though, I’ll be able to leave school.

I listened to the professor drone on and on. It was the beat my life revolved around. Eventually, in two more years, I’d be free of college. Then there’s nothing there except for freedom and music.

I went outside and looked up at the green sky. It had some blue clouds today. Hey, Miwe, my friend said. Hi, I replied. How long will this dictatorship last? She whispered to me. Classes are getting more boring. As if I want to learn why Yojao conquered the planet.

I shrugged. Hitler’s one of the most boring people in the world. Mina said in a clear, carrying voice, glaring at her professor. He conquered most of Europe, yadda yadda yadda. We all know the story. It’s impossible not to.

I pretended to not hear Miwe. Was she trying to get sent to a camp? Anyone who opposed Hirter, Yojao’s grandson, was sent to the camps. Most people died. I looked down at my blue uniform. Everything here was blue. Except for the sky. The sky was green. I liked the color. Green was beautiful. I felt something rising in my throat.

Time to go to the bathroom. I thought mentally as I went to the restroom. Break was almost over. Soon it would be time to go to another classroom. This one was my favorite.

I always loved religion class. It was fun. I don’t know why Yojao let it continue. It’s all about free thought and how we can’t let others rule us. Maybe he thought it would make us happy. Or maybe because we were all terrified, it didn’t matter.

I loved music. It was the only class I loved. When I was there, I could forget about everything else and just focus on the beat.

Today we were discussing the concept of foreign life. It was life outside of our planet. A lot of people wanted to know if there really were aliens. Our teacher said that there might be. We’d never found any though. I wonder what an alien was like.

This is what I love about Mr. Lebinski. He goes off on random tangents sometimes. He said that aliens might look like us.

I looked in the mirror and saw-blue eyes-with purple hair-and tan skin-with orange teeth. I saw 2 arms-and 4 legs-wearing black boots-a blue sack-and a green scarf. Is this-what an alien-looked like, I wondered. It would be-rather pretty if it did-look like this. But that wasn’t possible. Aliens were big red men.