One Last Glimpse | Teen Ink

One Last Glimpse

By NiennaValier BRONZE, San Clemente, California
NiennaValier BRONZE, San Clemente, California

"A single dream is worth a thousand realities."
-J.R.R. Tolkien

One Last Glimpse

The world is ending. Everyone doubts it; so did I only a few months ago. However, these past months have changed everything. It’s only proved that the Mayans knew what they were talking about. December 21, 2012 really did mark the end of the world.
It’s true that everybody laughed as soon as the clock struck December 21; I admit I did as well, back when I was just a normal high school girl with my entire life ahead of me. Then, over the next few months, huge, violent storms struck major cities of the world: London, Washington DC, anywhere with power and leadership. Fortunately, few died in these events and people dismissed it as nature, chance. But more incidents followed, ones which would leave massive death and destruction in their wake. The date itself almost seemed like a call to all the psychotic people of the world, carrying a specific message: kill before we are all killed. Bombings, shootings, murders, threats, all taking place within the last few months.
Finally, now at least I can see what that wretched day has set into motion, though others still remained blind, blissfully ignorant of what was to come.
Despite all this fear and volatile mixture of perpetual problems, what am I doing about it now?
“Katherine!” my friend, Morgan, called. “Come on! We’ll miss the movie!” Yes, amid everything, I was at the movie theater, absolutely useless for the survival of humanity. Taking the easy path by not warning innocent people, for I had already tried that. Tried and failed as my friends and family, rather than take genuine concern, believed it to be only the stress of a long day taking its toll on my logic.
However, they will find out, and soon, if not from me, then by the hands of time and fate.
“What’s wrong with you?” Morgan snapped, lacking compassion as she callously grabbed my arm, nearly dragging me inside as her vice-like grip momentarily broke my thoughts. “You’re acting so weird.” Retorts formed quickly in my head, but I remained silent. She wouldn’t listen to me anyway; in her youthful eyes, the threat of missing a movie far outweighed my warnings of the end of our time.

The film itself turned out to be just what I would expect a group of teenage girls to pick: an overdramatic romance featuring stereotypically attractive males, always met with “oohs” and “ahhs” from the entranced audience. Something oddly light in contrast to my forever ominous thoughts.
How could they watch this while a very real danger loomed just on our horizon? Why let their thoughts fill with fantasies of superficial love, something they will never experience due to their current state of ignorance? Did they not see the only solution was to work together somehow to prepare for our oncoming disaster?
Suddenly, sobs erupted to my left and right until the theater echoed the sounds off every wall, increasing in volume each and every time. What was going on, I did not know, but such details remain insignificant, especially at our perilous times.
“How can you people cry at this?” I exclaimed, not bothering to keep my voice down. “As something far more real and dangerous will soon rip our world apart?”
Morgan turned to me, steely eyes piercing me with a hardened gaze, despite their excessive wetness. “We just wanted to help you, but if that’s what you think, then why don’t you just leave?” she whispered harshly.
“Fine, I will,” I replied while storming out, aware of but entirely unconcerned about the stares.
Just in time, the cool, refreshing air brushed its light fingers across my skin, clearing my mind of the anger which had clouded it only moments ago. With closed eyes, I breathed in and out, calming myself as I slowly felt the control return. Slowly opening my vision back up to our subtly deteriorating world, I spotted someone sitting casually on the bench a few yards away from me. Something inside me seemed to instantaneously lighten as I recognized Kai, a childhood friend of mine and self-proclaimed geek. Someone whose friendship is thought as “forbidden” by those girls inside the theater but considered strong and true by my standards.
I sat down heavily on the bench beside him, causing him to finally stir and look at me.
“Is something wrong?” he asked kindly, noticing my obvious anxiety.
“Everything,” I answered, simply, though his voice alone comforted me. After all, its smooth, silky texture was rarely heard during school hours as he often stayed with his own group, away from such a large cluster of girls and preferred to keep to himself in class, despite his high intellect.
“Really?” he inquired, turning his lean body toward me, interested though I detected a slight undertone of sarcasm. “Why don’t you tell me about it?”
“Well,” I began, “I’ve tried to tell others and all they’ve done is call me insane. You probably wouldn’t believe me anyways.”
“I’d beg to differ.” He smiled mischievously. “And besides, even if that were to be the case, there is no way I could ever call you insane.”
I glanced back to him and, seeing real, genuine concern and compassion in his warm brown eyes, I decided to confess to him everything I had been pushed to believe. “It’s just,” I paused, trying to figure out where to begin. “You know when the Mayans predicted the world would end?”
“Of course. We all remember that.”
“And when everyone called it superstition since they never thought it happened?” He nodded wordlessly in assent. My voice lowered to an urgent whisper, as I leaned closer to him. “They were wrong to do that. The Mayans were right, Kai. The end is coming, and fast.”
His eyes widened as I braced myself for the insults that were sure to come. “How do you know?” he whispered covertly instead, allowing me to feel some amount of relief.
“Everything that’s happened since then: the storms, shootings, murders, they’re all signs.” The wind began picking up, blowing our hair across our faces. “And I think the climax is nearly here.”
“But, what could that be? And when?” he wondered, the curiosity and fear leaking into his voice.
I only shook my head, “I wish I knew.”
“As do I,” Kai agreed solemnly.
Abruptly, almost as if in response, the wind kicked up even further. Dead leaves and old trash swirled about our feet as clouds covered the once clear sky, nearly blocking out the sun.
“Is this it?” Kai muttered as the wind began whistling loudly in our ears.
“I hope not, but I’ve got a bad feeling that it is,” I replied, moments before the ever accelerating wind blasted dust and dirt all over us.
Slowly, a blanket of fog started to descend despite the wind, defying physics, until I could hardly see Kai directly in front of me. The entire world had become enveloped in a complete whiteness.
Both of us had already given up speaking, that is, until the pure white turned to total darkness. I yelped as Kai did the same, grabbing for my hand and sending reassuring warmth through my fingertips in his attempt to remain together. The last thing we needed was to be separated.
Frantically, I looked about, but in vain, as everything seemed as though I had closed my eyes and forgotten to open them once more. I blinked a few times to be sure, though I was cut off by a thundering roar above our heads, distant now but steadily nearing and shaking the ground beneath us.
Once the noise seemed to surround us entirely as the concrete shook furiously, a flash of brilliant white light burned my eyes, never allowing me one last look at the world I once knew.

Warm, yellow light streamed through my room, waking me gently from my slumber. My mind begged pathetically for more rest, but the glow persisted. Reluctantly, I opened my eyes to a cream-colored bed-sheet cocooning me. It was as soft as I always knew and remembered, but something was wrong.
My sheets, as I recall, were blue.
I bolted upright in shock. The room, now obviously not mine, was decorated lavishly; fresh, sweet smelling flowers and intricate swirling designs and patterns decorated each wall. The lamps, as well as nearly everything else, seemed made entirely of pure gold. It radiated signs of wealth I never thought was possible in the world. Taken aback, I looked down at my hands as full memory flooded back, nearly drowning me in the process.
The wind, fog, rumbling, and darkness. Our entire world now likely in ruins, ended by that cold white light.
But, then again, if the world has ended, where exactly am I? Is this really death? If I’m dead, what happened to everyone else? Where are they? And Kai?! He was right there with me!
Panicked, I whipped my head around, finding Kai peacefully asleep in a bed not unlike mine. Quickly, I stepped out of my bed and hurried to his side. “Kai!” I whispered in his ear, lightly shaking his shoulder even though a part of me felt guilty for waking him from such easy sleep.
“Katherine?” he asked, opening his eyes sleepily. “What are you doing…” he trailed off, taking in his surroundings. Full realization dawned on him, further emphasizing the silence of the room. “So, it’s all true?” he asked disbelievingly, like an innocent child refusing to accept the truth.
“I’m afraid so.”
“Then, we’re both dead.”
I shrugged. “It makes sense.”
“But why is it only the two of us?” he questioned. “And,” he looked about, examining the space, “where is this light coming from?”
Perplexed by his seemingly random question, I too tried to find a window, only to realize that this room contained none. “Something’s not right here.” I looked to Kai. “We need to figure this out, right now.”
He rose and, just then, the door opened to reveal a strikingly beautiful young lady dressed in a flowing, floor-length, blue-green gown. “Ah, you two are awake,” she said, her voice comforting and fluid. “Now, I know you two must be confused, but all will be explained in due time.”
In due time? No, not for something so important. I will find out about this, sooner rather than later. “Where are we?” I demanded from her directly.
She looked straight at me, deep blue eyes engulfing my entire being. Calmly, she walked closer to us, the fabric of her dress making a rushing sound on the tiled floors. “As you have likely realized, the world as you know it has ended by a series of major attacks, mostly from violent, rival countries with a feeling of vengeance toward your country.” So, that was the climax to our story of destruction, then. The woman continued. “Most signs of civilization were ruined and much of humanity, lost. However, that bright light the two of you saw was that of our ships saving a specified few in order to preserve the remnants of humanity.” She smiled as a wave of hair cascaded over her shoulders and ceased explaining as though finished. However, I wasn’t satisfied.
“You still haven’t answered my question,” I pushed, now more than slightly annoyed.
“In that case, child, why don’t I show you?” She moved back toward the door and opened it wide, allowing us a view outside. “Welcome to the land we call Aquadelos.”
I gasped, taken entirely by surprise. The city itself was nothing less than gorgeous. Shining silver streets and golden rooftops made it practically glow, almost like an illustration out of the old fantasy books. I glanced over to Kai to see his reaction, only to find him mouthing something. After a strenuous attempt at reading his lips, I recognized the word as the name of this city, Aquadelos.
“Water, and the name of a Greek island. What does it mean?” he spoke quietly.
“Surely you have heard of it, perhaps under a different name?” the woman replied, somehow hearing him.
Kai looked down, running through all the possibilities. A look of wonder came over his face as he breathed, “Atlantis.”
My heart nearly stopped. The long-lost island beneath the sea? It was only legend, though, not someplace real, at least, as we were told. Yet, then again, our current situation screamed anything but that.
“Very good,” the woman praised. “This is the lost city of Atlantis and your new home in the days to come.” She looked kindly back at us. “I do understand that this is much to take in, so I shall leave you now, but you two may join us at any time you wish.” At that, she glided out without another word.
“Can you believe this?” Kai asked, the amazement evident in his tone.
“I don’t think I want to. After all, our home...” Images of death and destruction flashed through my head as worries for my family and loved ones near broke my strength.
Reading me like a book, Kai pulled me close, leaning his forehead against mine. “I know, but we can’t change the past, hard as we may try. All we can do is hope for the best and stay strong throughout it all.”
“But can we really do that?” I asked helplessly. “Our entire world is gone, and everything we’ve ever known or cared about…” I tried to pull away, find space for me to pretend that I could turn back the hands of time, but Kai held fast, refusing to let me succumb to such misery.
“Believe me when I tell you that I understand. Nobody ever deserves to have their world turned completely upside down and be expected to just move on like nothing ever happened.” I looked up into his soft, loving eyes, realizing that the fun-loving, naïve little boy of my memories had gone, transforming into the calm and wise, yet sweet and compassionate, young adult who stood only inches away from me.
“Except, that’s exactly what happened to us, and how are we supposed to move on? These Atlanteans saw it happen, saw everything destroyed.” My voice dropped down to the softest whisper. “They know we have nothing left.”
Silence settled over the room like a blanket as the truth set in until Kai responded a moment later, his eyes now downcast, focused on the floor. “I don’t think that’s true,” he argued before pausing, quiet again as if searching for the right words. “Nothing in the world can take this away. Us. Now, we can act as each other’s family and support when we need it most.” He looked back at me again and comforted me with a slight smile, one which somehow managed to give me a faint glimmer of hope for the future. “Could you do that, for me?”
I tried to return his smile, grateful at his ways of consoling me, though it would surely take much longer for these wounds of grief to heal. “I guess I can try, for both of our sakes.”
“I couldn’t ask for more,” he responded, leaning back again and turning to the door before looking warmly back at me. “Even though we didn’t get one last glimpse of our old home doesn’t mean we shouldn’t get the first of our new one.” He offered me his hand. “Shall we?”
I took his hand thankfully, glad that, at least, I wasn’t alone in this tragedy, and we stepped out of our room to start life anew.