Freedom | Teen Ink

Freedom

May 20, 2014
By christiane thomas BRONZE, East Dundee, Illinois
christiane thomas BRONZE, East Dundee, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The darkness wrapped around me like a blanket. The cave was cold, dark and wet. I sat on the cold, hard ground, waiting for father to allow the flock outside. We had sat in the cave for three days straight. The scientists had seen one of us and we had to stay in the cave until they were gone. But, so far, they haven’t gone anywhere.

If you are wondering what we are, were bird mutations. Human hybrids, in scientific form. Hundreds of us were made, and only 42 were able to escape from the Lab. The science lab, where we were made. But since then, the ones who escaped were able to start a flock, and now there are 300 of us. You might be thinking us as birds with human heads. No, we have wings, air sacks and light bones, like a bird. We have human body structures, with human faces and voices, and fingers and toes. We are just like humans, but with wings and we can breathe in the air up in the stratosphere.

But that’s where the similarities end. We can’t communicate with people, and birds get frightened by us easily. We can’t live in houses, and we can’t make nests. We pretty much steal things, from people and birds. We go into store late at night and take just enough for a month. We can’t have extras, and the little ones can’t go outside until they can fly properly. Life is very difficult in this flock.

I stare into the darkness. I here small conversations, but they die quickly. Babies babbled in the nursary far back in the cave, the mothers trying their best to hush them. I could feel my sister, Celia, next to me. She trembled, mainly from the cold, and always avoided the conversation I tried to make with her. She was one of the social kinds, but stayed as quiet as possible, just to show off. She was older than me by eleven months, and she was gorgeous. Her brown hair was pulled back in a braid down her back. How could I tell? I felt her braid it earlier today, her elbow hitting mine. She had big green eyes and always decorated her nails with something called nail polish.

I played with my long blonde hair, remembering when Celia had put lighter blonde highlights in it. She said it would make look amazing. I thought it looked funny, but no one seemed to care. In fact, no one seemed to care about me at all. They just cared about Celia, the perfect child. When she put on make up. Everyone adored her, saying how beautiful she looked and all that. But when I first put it one, I got one or two looks. Nothing else. I really wasn’t a bg deal, just my father’s second child, that’s all.

I snapped back to reality when I heard one of our look outs come running through the cave. I felt a rush of cold air as he dashed past me and Celia. I wrapped my wings around me, shielding myself from the cold. I felt Celia stand, acting “important.”

“Stay her,” she hissed. I felt her wings brush my nose as she walked away. I, of course, didn’t listen. I stood and reached for my flashlight. I pulled my wings in, so I wouldn’t hit anyone, and headed to the Rock. The Rock is where all leaders stand, above all the others, showing their importance. I stepped over legs and wings, my flashlight kept low. I made it to the Rock just in time.

“They’re gone,” the lookout said. “They gave up at last minute. We watched the cars leave and then checked the woods. No one is left.”

“Good,” dad said. “Our children will be safe.” He stood from his “throne.” “I will announce at once.”

Energy rushed threw me. We were going outside! I couldn’t wait to feel warm air against me skin. I rushed back to our rock, the place where our family slept. I grabbed hold of the bag my mom gave me for my birthday, and rushed back to the Rock. My father announced a meeting and everyone filed around in the Circle. I bounded up next to mother, who smiled. She was probably thinking the same as me.

“Silence!” a voice shouted. Everyone stopped their talking.

“Thank you,” father said. “We all have been waiting for this moment, so I will just get it out.” Father paused. “The Scientists are gone, so we can resume out outdoor activities.”

Shouts rose in the crowds. Everyone was happy. I smiled as I watched the stone door, shaped like a circle, open up. Light streamed in. I stretched out my wings and took off. I was going to be the first one outside. I flapped hard, the light stinging my eyes. I smiled, and pushed myself out the cave.

The air felt truly amazing against me, and the scene was breath taking. There were woods for miles, and the big lake sparkled in the sun. I flew up high into the sky. I didn’t stop until my eyes adjusted to the light. I pushed myself past the clouds, and then pulled my wings into my back, falling from the sky. I turned over, facing the ground. I watched as it hurtled towards me, and then pushed my wings out right before I hit the trees. I fluttered above them, watching the flock emerge from the cave. They looked so happy, just like me.

Then, in sudden realization, I stopped. Father was going to start the “Perfect Colony” all over again now that we were back outside. We were going to have to start schedules and lessons again. That was something I didn’t want to do. So I took off towards the thick of the woods, seeking coverage. I twisted and turned around the trees. No one would find, not today. I kept going for the lake, not stopping.

And that’s when I heard it; a gunshot. Pulled myself short, chipping my wing on a tree. I fell to the ground in a heap of feathers, my shirt snagging at one of the branches. It tore down the back leaving a small opening. Once I hit the ground, I ran. The trees seemed to close in, but I didn’t dare fly. It’s too risky.

I heard another gunshot, and screamed. The flock was getting attacked! I raced through the trees, but I wasn’t sure which way to go. I stopped when I heard someone crashing through the trees. I tilted my head to see which way the sound was coming from. It was coming from my right. I stayed completely still.

The man crashed through a bush and pointed his gun at me. I didn’t hesitate. I stretch my wings out and took to the sky, a branch catching the skin near my right eye. Once I was out of the thick woods, I took off north, far away from the cave. I didn’t dare look back. I didn’t want to see what was happening.

I flew straight and kept going until it was dark and I was out of breath. The wood beneath me were gone, replaced by a town with tall buildings. I had to fly higher to avoid getting hit by one. This was obviously a city. Cars rumbled down on the road below me. Lights glared out of windows and people milled down below. I recognized it from one of Celia’s magazines.

Fully out of breath, I landed on top of a building. No one would find me I was sure. I looked around at my surroundings. I needed to get help, for the flock, but with whom? I sat at the edge of the building, my legs hanging off. Down below, peopled milled around in the darkness, getting rides from yellow cars and entering buildings.

I winced when I felt the pain of my shoulder shoot through me. I had forgotten I got shot. I surveyed my wings, touching the wound. The bullet chipped my left wing and shoulder, dried blood covering them. I dug in my bag, thankful I brought it, and pulled out gauze and ointment. Carefully, I dabbed the wound on my wing with the ointment, and wrapped my shoulder. Then I carefully fluttered down to the ground, where the city was empty.

Hitting the ground, I thought of what I needed to do. I needed a new shirt, even though I had a tank top under it. I also needed food and water. I could remain on top of a building until I was healed. Taking out a purple sweatshirt my mom got me, I pulled my wings tight against my body and pulled the sweatshirt over them. I grabbed my bag and walked down to the shops.

Once I hit the main street, I looked for somewhere to go to get a new shirt. I stepped into the crowd, moving in unison with them. I stumbled over something, falling into a store. It glimmered and was busy with people, even with the later hour. Pulling myself upright, I dove in, looking for something new to wear. I walked up and down aisles, pulling out stuff that looked good. I was able to get a hold of three shirts and a pair of shorts. I had never had so much fun in my life! Back in the flock, I was never allowed to go on the hunt with those who went. I don’t know why.
I went on the moving stairs to the upper floor. People milled around me, giving me second glances. Once I hit the second floor, I felt something hit my toes and I fell face first. Before I could hit the floor, hands caught me, pain shooting through my arms.

“Whoa,” a boy’s voice said. “You okay?” He helped my stand up properly, more pain in the arm. I moaned. He gave me a look. “But seriously. You okay? Your shoulder looks bad.”

I tried to nod, but there was too much pain. More skin must’ve torn off. The boy pulled me away from the moving stairs and sat me on a bench. He pulled my sweatshirt back by my shoulder and examines it. His eyes widen when he sees the cut. “Have you been to a hospital yet?”

Who did he think he was, asking me all these questions like I was his sister? I pushed his arm off me. “No I haven’t I can’t-“I stopped when I realized what I was saying.

“Why?”

I stood. “Because… Because…. We don’t have the money.” I moaned. Then why am I here?

“Then why are you here?”

I looked down at him. He was really cute! He had shaggy brown hair and blue eyes. “What’s your name?” I asked, stupidly.

“Carson,” he said, standing. “You need a hospital. I’ll take and pay the bill. No biggy.”

“I can’t. Not with you, at least. I’ll go-“Pain shot through my arm again when Carson touched me. I heaved in air.

“Then I’ll take you home. Let me go check out. Sit still, okay?” Why was he being so nice to me? I never met him, and he doesn’t know me, right? I nodded though.

I sat at the front of the store waiting for him. He, obviously, worked here. Why else would he be checking out? He came out of the crowd with a bag. “Here, you left the clothes on the bench. I decided to buy them for you.”

Grateful, I smiled and took the bag. We walked to his car, Carson trying to make conversation. Once we got into his car, Carson steered us quickly out of the city.

“Now,” he said. “Where do you live?”
I bit my lip. “Um… Well I, uh, I…” I clear my throat. “The truth is, Carson, I don’t live anywhere. I live in a cave with my family.” I practically choke out “family.” I never thought of them as that. Just a flock.

Carson stops at a red light and looks at me. “What?”
I cleared my throat again. “I’m not an ordinary person, like you. I’m a human hybrid. I have-“I cut myself of with a horrible thought. What if he thinks I’m a lunatic? I thought. I turn towards the window. “It’s complicated. Just get my to your cave- house- whatever you call it.”
The rest of the way to Carson’s house is silent. Once we get to it, a small apartment building, we head in.
“Sorry it’s such a mess,” Carson said, shoving books and papers off his wooden table. “Now let’s take a look at that shoulder.”
He reaches for me, but I pull away. “First off,” I start. “I don’t even know you. You can’t just look at my body like you know me. Second, it’s really best you don’t.”

He gives me a look. “Well, I was raised to help those in need. I just want to help, then you can leave.” No wonder he was so nice.

“Ok,” I sigh. “But I’ve warned you. Don’t freak out.” I began to pull the sweatshirt off.
“Why would I freak? It’s a small cut. I’ve seen worse.”
My sweatshirt off, his eyes widen. Now he sees them. He’s going to-

“Whoa,” he said. “How is that- how is that even possible?”

“I was born with them. Many of us were made a long time ago, but some escaped. They reproduced and now there’s three-hundred and six. Scientists have been looking for us and that’s… That’s how I came here.” I looked down. “They chased me and one shot me. Thankfully, the bullet skimmed my shoulder. I even cut my eye on a tree, as you can see.” I looked back up. “That’s why I didn’t tell you. I didn’t know how you would react. And, also, I don’t know you.”

Carson looked at them. “What’s your name, though? You never told me.”

“Aria,” I said.

“Pretty,” Carson said, circling me. “Tore your shirt, huh?”

I smiled. “Yeah, I ran into a tree.”

“And your wings! They’re as white as snow! And the gold on the bottom? They’re gorgeous!”

Yes my wings were the rarest and, in my father’s opinion, the prettiest. “You like them?”

“I love them! I never thought this was a possibility!” Carson touched the cut on my wing. “Does it hurt?”

I nod. “Do you have more ointment or something?”

He nodded. “Why don’t you go into the bathroom and change. Your clothes are on the table.” He ran up the stairs.

I grabbed the bag and pulled out the pair of sweatpants and shirt I found. Going into the bathroom, I changed and scrubbed my face, being gentle with the cut. When I left, Carson sat at the table, ointment in hand.

“Here.” He handed it to me.
“Actually, can you put it on? I can barely reach back there.”

Carson nodded. “Sure, Aria.” He said my name with a smirk. I sat on the table, my wings facing him. Carson unwrapped the gauze from my shoulder, and, carefully, dabbed the ointment on. Once he finished, he wrapped it up in clean gauze and moved to my wings.

I felt nervous letting him touch my wings. I was afraid he’d pull a feather out or something, and that hurt.

“Let me wash them first. They’re a little bloody.” Carson walked to a water bowl thing, soaked a cloth and walked back over. Carefully, he washed the blood away from my wings. He was careful, doing everything thoroughly. He also washed the wound with something that stung, but then felt relieving.

“Wow,” I said. “You really seem to know what you’re doing.”

Carson chuckled. “Well, my mom is a vet, and she worked with birds often. She even let me help her.”

“How sweet.” I turned to look at him, and I felt my stomach twist. He was already look at me. I felt something, deep inside me, that I have never felt before. What was it called? Oh, love. I felt love for him like nothing else.

He smiled. “Well, would you like to fly home now?”

I laughed. “I would miss you too much.”

“I thought you said you didn’t know me.”

“I don’t- I didn’t. But I do now.” I swung my legs around the table, facing him. “Besides, I don’t think I’ll be able to fly any time soon.” I pushed my wings around the both of us. “Would you like to know about me and my flock?”

Eagerly, he nodded. For the next hour, I told about me and the flock and the scientists. He listened very intensely, not wanting to miss anything. When i finished telling him, Carson stared in awe.

“Wow,” he said. “Wow. That’s just... Wow.” I laughed. “So that’s it? You’re stuck with me until your wing heals right?”

I nodded. “Yeah, I won’t be able to fly. It hurts too much.”

“Well, that’s good for me.” He pushed himself up off the couch we were sitting on. He offered me his hand. “You can have my room. I’ll sleep on the couch.” He was still holding my hand.

“Thanks.” I looked at his lips. “You know, I’ve never felt so free in my life. I’m here with you, and I’m not doing a stupid schedule, or lesson. I feel like a regular person. And I-” I stopped. Was I seriously about to say I love you?

He smiled, again. “You what?”
I looked up at him. Not thinking, I stood on my tippy toes and kissed him on the cheek. “I think I love you.”

And then, to my surprise, he kissed me back, except on the lips. It felt warm and amazing. “I think I love you too.”

I fell asleep in this stranger’s arms, thinking about the old life I once had. There was way too much organization, and there was no freedom. Here, with Carson, I felt alive, yet safe. Never in my life had I felt so free, so happy. I knew that my family could be in trouble, or miss me. But I knew that, until I was here, I was going to try to live a normal life. A life with no danger. A life filled with Freedom.


The author's comments:
This is about a girl with wings who wanted freedom. She was chased away from her home to a city and she meets a boy who wants to help her. I would like to make this into a book. more detail is needed.