The Plan | Teen Ink

The Plan

By melanierajpal GOLD, South Plainfield, New Jersey
melanierajpal GOLD, South Plainfield, New Jersey

Laura sat down with a yellow number #2 pencil in hand and a special kind of dread that came with taking a four hour test. Being forcibly ripped from her bed way too early for a Saturday morning was no where close to what she called a good idea. Still, Laura couldn’t help getting a little excited as if something important was about to happen. She slipped her student ID into her pocket and sat her canvas tote bag on the floor. Her mother made sure had she enough pencils to last the duration of the test. With that being said, Laura had exactly twelve brand new pencils in various colors, sharpened to a point that could be used as a dagger, and branded with the familiar No.2/HB. Even though each pencil had never been used before, her little sister made sure that over every one of the perfect pink erasers had an additional cap eraser. That did not even include the five additional erasers Laura had stowed in her bag.
She checked that she had her trusty calculator and switched her cell phone off as instructed by the chalkboard at the front of the room. Laura looked over the vast sea of desks filled with test takers just as jittery as her. She overheard three people talking behind her. Laura turned her head ever so slightly to discreetly overhear their conversation.
“I am so ready.” someone said behind her. Laura didn’t recognize him, so she guessed that he went to another school.
“Yeah” continued another. “I am so ready for the most important test of my high school career and i’m going to make the most of it,” he boasted. Laura rolled her eyes. Who brags about taking a test? She asked herself.
“Yeah, I studied so much last night. I’m shooting for that 2400. You know? I got close that last time,” replied the first boy. There was a pause in the conversation.
“Are you ready for…” someone asked, then more quietly, “The, um... plan?”
“Kevin! Not here!” the boys exclaimed.
The Plan? Their SAT plan? At that point, Laura lost interest. Whatever these three were talking about, it sounded incredibly stupid. Not worth her eavesdropping. The test instructor began to hand out the necessary materials. Since the room was arranged in alphabetical order, Laura was seated towards the back. This was when she first realized how tired she was.
It was at that very moment that she immediately regretted spending all of the previous night cramming instead of sleeping. Laura knew that she hit the limit when the College Board website had ran out of practice questions. She was definitely prepared, but was she in the right shape to take the test? The room around her began to spin and her vision began to blur. “Definitely not,” she thought to herself.
Laura looked up from the test booklet that was sat in front of her. For the first time, she noticed how eerily quiet it was. Should it be this quiet? Laura felt a sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach. Did they already start and I missed it? In a fit of panic, Laura grabbed a pencil from her bag ripped her test packet open. That was when she noticed that everyone else’s booklet was unopened. Now I really messed up. I really, really messed up. The feeling of regret was replaced with a feeling of surprise when the instructor didn’t notice her at all. With a closer look, Laura noticed that the testing instructor was fast asleep on the classroom floor, completely oblivious to the surrounding world. The rest of the classroom was in a similar state. Everyone had mysteriously fallen asleep at their desk. Laura’s  mind could not process what was happening. How could everyone just fall asleep? It didn’t make any sense.
The late night studying had finally caught up with her. A small part of her wanted to find out the answers to the many questions that has presented itself. Instead, Laura joined the sleeping class. “A golden opportunity has presented itself. Of course I’m going to take it.” she exclaimed out loud, even though she was pretty sure there was no one around to hear her. She closed the test book on her desk and used it as a makeshift pillow to lay her head on. Laura closed her eyes and joined the rest of the class in the mysterious slumber.
After what felt like a few minutes, Laura was awoken by a loud crash coming from down the hallway. Laura got up from her desk. That was enough naptime for now. She jumped to her feet and quickly made her way to door. Something told her that she knew exactly who was behind this.
Laura heard three voices coming from the school library.  “Kevin! What did I tell you about the plan?” called out one of the voices.
“Yeah, Kevin. What did he say? I think I forgot.”
“For a team of masterminds, you guys are completely useless.” said the leader of the operation. Laura tiptoed into the library. After she made her way into the library did she realise that she had no idea what she was going to do next. Kevin’s eyes caught glimpses of Laura who was frozen at the opposite side of the library. 
“It didn’t work.” he told the others.
“What are you talking about? Of course it worked,” replied the leader.”Made sure that everyone was asleep.”
“So than, explain that!” he pointed at Laura, who was trying too hard to stand still in one place, but failing miserably.
“Hey you!” he called out. Laura gave up the act. She was pretty use that they already knew that The Plan did not work on her.
“What did you do? Why is everyone asleep?” she walked over to them cautiously.
“I needed to test out my genius creation.” the leader of the group pulled out a broken cardboard box. He  emptied the contents of the box revealing a crude gun shape. “A sleep ray, see.” he pointed it towards her. She quickly dodged out of the way. “Incredible that it actually worked, right?”
“Why?” asked Laura incredulously.
“Why not?”
“Fair enough.”
“How come it didn’t work on her?” asked the one that was neither the leader nor was Kevin.
“More importantly, are you sure that everyone would wake up?”
“Honestly, I have no idea. That was the whole point of me testing it here.”
“Why?” Laura asked again.
“Why not?”
“Fair enough.” replied Kevin.

Most of this was written at three in the morning. Rereading it, I found it to be an intresting tale. (More intresting than the SAT at least.)