The Origin | Teen Ink

The Origin

Ding-Dong.  I lifted my head up from my book and looked up at the door.  My favorite patient, Allen Smith was standing in the door looking through the glass.  He was 16 years old and had a case of OCD with anxiety and depression.  I gave him a bright smile and stood up from my chair.  I invited him in from the door and saw his little 5-year-old brother Derrick standing behind him.  He made rocket noises as I lifted him up through the air.  I then set him down and gave him to his mother.  As I turned back around I saw Allen going up to my degree and straightening it.  The edges of my lips bent upward as I chuckled at the little joke we had.  When he first came to my office my degree wasn’t straight and he sprinted towards it to make it right.  After tidying up the room real quick, I set up a chair for him and got him to sit down.  We started making small talk, the usual, girls, school, friends, and family.  He seemed more reserved than usual like he was holding something back.  So I pressed him harder, he managed to hold it to small talk though and I helped him with some simple problems.  I felt as though I had accomplished nothing when he left.

I sat down at my desk, my chocolate brown hair flopping down on my forehead. I looked at my degree in Ph.D. from Yale.  “To Dr. Jordan Boyne”  ‘Yeah, what a doctor I am, washed out at 26.”  I thought for a moment and then got onto my computer.  I went to the graph I made and tried to distract myself, then I noticed something pop up on my email.  I expected it  to be an email from one of my patients parents asking for a reschedule.  As I went into my email though I saw an email from Yale.  Curious I checked it.  My mind froze, it went completely blank.  I had another appointment that day, but  I postponed it, closed my office and speedily drove home, my mind going a million miles an hour.  ‘They want me?  They want me?’  I cautiously thought over all the details of the email.

I got home in the pouring rain.  ‘Note to self, always carry an umbrella with you when you live in Washington.‘  I got out of the car and went inside then saw my three-year-old son playing with a little truck on the carpet in the family room.  my wife was surprised to see me home so early.  I must have been so flustered that I forgot to tell her I was getting home early.  I was just about to tell her what happened when my five-year-old pushed open the door with a very grumpy look on her face.  That changed very quickly when she saw me, she slammed the door closed in excitement and her goldilocks style hair that she inherited from her mother was pushed back as she rocketed closer to me.  I quickly set her down on the couch and gave my son to my wife.  I took a deep breath and told them the news “Yale has just informed me…”
“Daddy?  Who’s Yale?” My little daughter asked.
“Yale is the school daddy and I went to Emma.”  My wife replied.
“As I was saying, Yale has just informed me that they are experimenting with the limits of the human mind and have found a way to get specific people to understand others better and their actions, it will help me in my job.”
“Umm, honey, don’t you think it’s a little dangerous to do that, I mean they are still experimenting with it.”
“They need me, I need to take the next step to help them, and they aren’t using x-ray or gamma radiation so accidents aren’t as dangerous.”
“Dad… Hulk?” My three-year-old asked.
“No Daniel dad will not be hulk,” I answered,  “they aren’t using dangerous tools, and this was a theory I made, please let me go and be a part of this experiment.” 
“Wait, this is your theory?”
“Well, yes.  I brought it up several times, I know it better about it than anyone.”
She gave a big sigh, “Fine, I guess I can’t stop you, but you better come back.”
“I will,” I reassured her, “I will.”

The next day I flew to Connecticut, sure everything was going to be fine.  I called my wife as soon as I landed and then walked into the university.  After several days, they finally found it fit to hook me up to the machines.  They tried to input computer programming into my mind.  It worked.  I was fine, we cheered, celebrated, and then they sent in a test subject.  I had to tell what they were thinking.  I looked into their eyes and concentrated, suddenly I wasn’t in my body, I was in theirs, and I looked at my own body.  Suddenly a rush of memories came in and the last thing I heard was the sickening crack of my mind as I went insane.

This is only the origin to the story I'm writing.  I need lots of feedback, don't be afraid to say what I need to improve on.

Goshawk BRONZE said...
Goshawk BRONZE, Menomonie, Wisconsin

"Lord, what fools these mortals be!" ~Puck, a Midsummer Night's Dream

So cool! And so creepy!