My Robot | Teen Ink

My Robot

I finally received my robot that I ordered from the mail. It came in a big box shaped as a rectangle. I carefully opened up the box and looked inside. The robot was shaped like a human. It smelled like old metal and felt very smooth. I picked it up, it was heavy but I managed to carry it to my room. There was a red button about an inch in diameter on the robot's chest, as I felt it I realized it was also make out of metal. I took out the instruction manual from the package and begin reading it. It took about an hour but at least I knew how to start it and how to speak commands.
         And now was the moment of truth, the moment I have been waiting for. I slowly positioned the robot upright and pressed the red button. I took a step back not knowing what will happen. I realized that I was holding my breath. Then the robot's eyes lit up in a bright flashing white color. The button on its chest began glowing bright red.
         I took a step forward and touched its eyes; they were warm as if real. The button on his chest seemed brighter than ever. I picked up the instruction manual. Holding tightly to the thin paper as if it were about to slip away never to be seen. I tried out the first command. "Sit down." The robot reacted as if it were real it were real it responded instantly. The robot stared sightless at me while sitting on the floor. Then I got a better idea. "Make my bed." I order. The robot at first just sat there and stared at me, and then it got up and walked over to my bed. Effortlessly it began to lift the blanket and swiftly lay it down on my bed.
                   Good I still have about 4 hours before my parents came home. I ordered it to follow me. I walked outside and stood in the front lawn with the robot behind me. "Basketball," the robot nodded when I said it. I went to the garage and got out my basketball. I went to the front lawn and shuddered. The robot was gone. I looked around and saw it standing by the basketball hoop. Wow, it was really smart. I tossed the ball to the robot. As if it were human it responded by snatching it out of the air, it took three steps and jumped. Then slammed it right through the basketball hoop. The ball bounced twice and rolled over to the side walk. The game had begun.
         The robot tirelessly kept on scoring. I was working hard to keep up. In the end the robot won 20 -12. I was sweating and exhausted, but the robot just walked over and sat down on the curb next to me.
          I went inside to take a drink. I noticed that the red button was a bit dimmer than it was before. I went up to my room and lied on my bed thinking about all the things I could do with my robot, what I should name him and where should I hide him. It was the start of a new life, a new adventure.