Mercury | Teen Ink

Mercury

May 29, 2018
By ZRuss BRONZE, Johnstown, Pennsylvania
ZRuss BRONZE, Johnstown, Pennsylvania
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

© 2018 by Zachary Russell

 

CHARACTERS

Mercury
The leader of the group. Strong willed, takes things into her own hands.

 

Blaze
The expert sniper and military defense, hardcore and strong.

 

Chance
Jack of all trades, firm but likable

 

Penance
Mercury's seven-year-old daughter dies

 

Oddity
Mercury's ten-year-old daughter who thinks she's a lot older than she is extra

 

Jet
Mercury's two-year-old son extra

 

Prodigy
Mercury's mom, skittish and shy dies

 

Saber
Mercury's dad big, bold, and straightforward. He's afraid of nothing dies

 

Fallen
Weapons expert, a fighter, tries to be funny at the most inconvenient times.

 

Angel
Twelve-year-old bible expert extra

 

 


 
    SETTING

Apocalyptic neighborhood. Boulders with fire falling from the sky. Cracks in the ground and rubble from houses collapsing. Black smoke fills the air from the fires.

 

      TIME

Mid-afternoon in 2080
SCENES

ACT I


Scene 1
Normal Neighborhood
Mid-afternoon

 

Scene 2
Apocalyptic Neighborhood
One hour later

 

Scene 3
Fall out shelter
Three hours later


    ACT I

    SCENE 1


Prodigy (Mercury's mom)

Mercury!
(Prodigy yells through the bomb like noise)

 

Mercury

I can't find him, mom.

 

Prodigy

We need to go in now!
   
MERCURY

No, I'm not leaving him, take the kids. Find the safest place that you can. Cable where are you?

 

PRODIGY

Mercury!

(Prodigy yelled once more. Mercury gave up and hunkered down in the basement with the rest of her family)

 

MERCURY

Is everyone okay?

 

PENANCE

Mommy, I'm stuck.
           (Penance screamed)

 

MERCURY

Where are you, Penance? I can't see you.

 

PENANCE

Over here.

(Mercury followed the sound of Penances voice digging through the burning rubble of the basement. Thick smoke and dust consumed her lungs. She felt a hand protruding from under the broken staircase.)

 

PENANCE
Mommy, I tried to stay with you.

 

MERCURY
No, it's not your time.

 

PENANCE
Yeah, it is.
                                                           (Mercury felt for any sign of life left in her young daughter but she was lifeless. She sat beside her with Oddity and Jet.)

 

SABER

Mercury, we need to do something.

                                                 

MERCURY

Like what, dad? Everything's gone, nothing's left.

                                                 

SABER

What about the fallout shelter?

                                                  
                                                  SCENE 2

                  (They gather up the remainders of the neighborhood and begin their journey across the path of destruction. Maneuvering themselves through the unrecognizable. Prodigy lost her footing and fell into the unknown depth of a crack)

                

MERCURY

Why? Tell me why this is happening.

                                               

ANGEL

I know why it's happening. It's Jesus, It's the devil. They came. They're not going to stop. You need to get your dad to his feet. We need to get out of here. The worst is yet to come.

                                              

CHANCE

Up ahead, I see it in the distance.

                                             

SABER

Mercury, Chance, and I will check things out. The rest of you stay here.

                                                SCENE 3

                                                            (While they were searching the shelter they heard screaming, the creatures were chasing the rest of the group.)

                                                            

SABER

Move, now. Run into the shelter.

                                               

CHANCE

Lock the door.

                                                         (They back away from the door holding their ears from the deafening sound coming from it.)

                                                        

MERCURY

I need all of you to pay attention to me. Chance, myself, my dad, Fallen, and Blaze need to return to the neighborhood. I want you guys to stay here and lock the door the minute we walk out of here.

(they fight their way back through the cracked ground and rubble of what they used to call home. Blaze pulls his rifle up when he hears Saber yell. He pulls the trigger and shoots one of the creatures between the eyes.)

                                               

SABER

Nice shot, Blaze. I'm glad we brought you along.

                                               

BLAZE

Thanks, man. I was the deadliest sniper in the military. I guess that training paid off.

                                                (Saber was killed by one of the demons. Chance, Mercury, Fallen, and Blaze found all the weapons they could. They were followed by the demons back to the shelter.)

                                            
BLAZE
Lock the door.

                                               

ANGEL

Where's Saber?

                                              

BLAZE
He didn't make it. Lock the door now. Those things are everywhere.

                                              (Blaze ordered in an angry tone.)

                                              

(They continue to fight and battle the demons. The shelter was secured by the cracks that surrounded it. Mercury stands by and watches as the people of the new found community step outside. She knows that they accomplished greatness even, with the loss of a child, her fiance, and parents. They fulfilled the impossible. This day turned into the beginning of a new chapter, of a new world that was deemed hopeless to survive and they made it.


The author's comments:

I wrote this one-act play for creative writing. I wanted to share it with people to see what they think.