See You Later | Teen Ink

See You Later

By erinkemper BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin
erinkemper BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin

See You Later

Characters: 

ADAM GREEN: Young boy suffering from chronic illness

DECLAN CLARE: Adam’s best friend, the more outgoing of the two.

ACT I

ADAM GREEN, a boy with messy brown hair and tired brown eyes, sits outside on a warm summer night. The rhythmic hum of music and voices can be heard inside the small suburban house behind him, the multicolored lights of the party scattering the wooden porch with spots of color. ADAM faced away, sat along the sidewalk, clutching an empty red soda cup in his hand loosely. He stares at the audience with a somber expression.

DECLAN appears, shutting the door behind him, and taking a seat next to Adam.

DECLAN

Thought I’d find you here.

ADAM

ADAM acknowledges Declan’s presence but keeps his eyes on the road.

That obvious, huh?

DECLAN

Nah, I just know you too well. Can’t believe you’re skipping out on my birthday. Does the party tire you out?

ADAM

Something like that.

DECLAN

Peers in the direction ADAM is looking, eyes squinted in confusion. 

Watcha looking at?

ADAM

Nothing, just thinking.

They sit in silence for a moment, before ADAM coughs, and turns to DECLAN.

ADAM

Do you remember when you fell off your bike on the sidewalk over there?

DECLAN laughs 

DECLAN

God, when I don't fall off that old rust bucket. Do you mean the time I lost the tooth?

ADAM

Yeah, that one. You totally ate dirt that time. I’m pretty sure the blood stain is still there.

DECLAN

My mom was so mad. She only felt bad for you because you were crying.

DECLAN shoves ADAM playfully.

ADAM

ADAM laughs weakly

Hey, I was scared! My best friend’s tooth just came out! I thought you were going to die.

DECLAN

DECLAN laughs

Me? No, I’m immortal. 

ADAM

Oh yeah? So you’ll attend my funeral?

As he speaks, his voice breaks slightly.

DECLAN

Only if I get an invitation. You’ll have to send it to my million-dollar immortality mansion. 

ADAM

What would you say?

DECLAN

DECLAN pauses.

What do you mean?

ADAM

At my funeral. What would you say?

DECLAN

Like seriously? That’s a bit of a weird question.

ADAM

I just want to know. I need to peer edit my eulogy.

DECLAN

Kind of putting me on the spot here. Can’t you just ask me when we’re older?

ADAM

Just tell me. 

DECLAN sighs, thinking through an answer.

DECLAN

Well, I suppose I’d say that I’ve been best friends with Adam Green since kindergarten. He likes soccer and drawing on his shoes… animals, especially dogs, the marvel universe, rain, the sound of fresh popcorn popping, playing arcade games, falling asleep during movie nights, and his best friend, Declan Clare. He has always been there for me. Like when I had to get my wisdom teeth removed and he stayed with me.

ADAM

Yeah, to record you on sleeping drugs.

DECLAN

Hey, no critiques yet! Let me finish. It’s always been you and me. Ever since kindergarten, it's always been Adam and Declan. We’ve always been a package deal. Even when your chronic illness acted up we’d always be with each other, helping each other through the best and worst parts of our lives. And I don’t know what I would do without you there.

ADAM

ADAM wipes his eyes quickly to hide his tears.

I like that. And to be fair, you would be okay without me. 

DECLAN

No, I don’t think so. I’d be a mess.

ADAM

I need you to promise that you’d be okay without me.

DECLAN

Why? 

ADAM

Just promise me. Promise me that no matter what happens to me, you’ll be okay.

DECLAN

DECLAN sighs.

Okay. I promise I’ll be okay.

ADAM

ADAM smiles weakly.

Good. That’s good. 

A car horn is heard down the street. 

ADAM

I think that’s my mom.

DECLAN

Aww boo. Do you have to go already?

ADAM

Yeah, I think I have to go now. It’s time. 

DECLAN 

Not if you can’t move!

DECLAN wraps his arms around ADAM, holding him in place, and lifting him up. ADAM laughs, struggling in DECLAN’s hold.

DECLAN

Damn, you’re light. We need another popcorn movie night and stuff you with candy.

ADAM

Put me down!

DECLAN

Nope, you’re stuck here. We have morphed into one being. 

A car horn is heard again.

ADAM

I really need to go now. 

DECLAN

Fine, I guess I can let you go. 

DECLAN sets ADAM down, and ADAM looks to the faint headlights upstage right. He looks up to DECLAN.

ADAM

I wish I didn’t have to go.

DECLAN

Yeah, but we’ll see each other on Monday, yeah? 

ADAM

Tell your little brother I said hello okay? And that he’s the best Mario Kart champion in the world.

DECLAN

I’ll pass on the message. I swear he likes you more than he likes me.

ADAM

ADAM smiles.

He’s a good kid. 

ADAM coughs again, this time more painfully.

DECLAN

That sounds like it hurts. Your lungs aren’t getting bad again, are they?

ADAM 

Can we not talk about COPD tonight? I just want to enjoy this moment.

DECLAN

DECLAN frowns

Okay… Okay.

They make it to the car, and ADAM goes to open the door, but hesitates, turning back to DECLAN.

ADAM

Everything you said… about us always being there for each other. I want you to know that it's the same for me.

DECLAN

What do you mean?

ADAM

Through everything, you’ve been there for me. Through every doctor’s visit, every surgery, every problem I’ve ever had, you’ve always been there. You’re the one constant in my crazy life. Thank you. 

DECLAN

You’re acting really weird tonight. Are you alright?

ADAM 

I’m okay. Just feeling reminiscent.

He goes to open the door again, but once again hesitates.

ADAM

Tell your mom I said thank you, for the party, I mean. And literally everything she’s ever done for me, even wiping my tears after your bike crashed. Your mom’s an angel.

DECLAN

Sure, any other messages since I’m apparently your new postman?

ADAM

ADAM’s voice shakes as he speaks.

Tell your dad that he makes the best lasagna and that I’m sorry for never understanding his football references. Oh, and tell Nellie that she’s the bestest fluffiest dog ever.

DECLAN

Done and done. Anything else?

ADAM pauses, lip quivering, before he slams into DECLAN, hugging him tightly and burying his face in DECLAN’s shoulder.

ADAM

Tell Declan that he’s the best person I’ve ever met, that I miss every second I’m not with him, and that I’m sorry he’ll have to say my eulogy. 

DECLAN frowns, not quite understanding. Still, he wraps his arms around ADAM tightly, as if his body understands something his mind doesn’t. They stay like this for a long moment, ADAM not wanting to let go. With a deep breath, ADAM lets go slowly, holding DECLAN’s hand as he opens the car door. 

ADAM

Take care of yourself for me, yeah? You’ll be okay. You promised me you’d be alright. 

DECLAN

I’ll be alright Adam. Don’t worry your little head over me. 

ADAM

You know I always do. 

He pauses, seemingly having many things he wishes to say, but cannot.

Goodbye, Declan. Thank you for being my best friend.

DECLAN

Hey, this isn’t goodbye. This is a “see you later”.

ADAM

Declan I-

DECLAN smiles, and answers with a firm voice, like some part of him understands what is really going on. 

DECLAN

I’ll see you later Adam.

ADAM prepares to argue, but instead sighs, and smiles sadly.

ADAM

I’ll see you later Declan. 

ADAM steps into the car and shuts the door with a soft click. DECLAN walks off the stage, ADAM still smiling as he watches him leave. Stage lights fade to black.

ACT I: End

This play was written as a prompt for a creative writing exercise. The prompt was to tell a story of someone who needs to say goodbye to someone close to them, but they have a hard time doing so. I decided to tell the story of Adam, a young boy who suffers from severe Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, a chronic lung disease that can lead to early death. Adam, who knows he doesn't have much time left, has a hard time telling his best friend, Declan, that he must say goodbye.