Mannequins in the Mall | Teen Ink

Mannequins in the Mall

By Evagline.Brisa.Wilder GOLD, Collegeville, Pennsylvania
Evagline.Brisa.Wilder GOLD, Collegeville, Pennsylvania

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
-Albert Einstein

Mannequins at the Mall: The Dawn Zone
a short play
by Brisa

the cast
Rod Sterling

Male

Kim

Female

Emma

Female

the time
21 of July, 2012 at 1 AM at 13 minutes and 13 seconds

the place
The Dawn Zone version of a house

Mannequins at the Mall: The Dawn Zone
Act 1: The Beginning
Lights shine on Rod Sterling, who is standing in the center of a dark room.

Rod Sterling
There is a fifth dimension, beyond which is known to man. It is a dimension that is as vast as space and is as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition. And it lies between the pit of man’s fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination and it is an area which we call the Dawn Zone.

Act 2: The Dawn World of Twists
Lights up Rod, who is in the corner of Emma’s bedroom. Emma is lying in her bed.

Rod Sterling
The nightmares Emma has had was not the reason why she woke up. Her nightmares are the monsters that shriek in the silent night and create shadows in your moonlight room. But as Emma, an ordinary 17 year old, thinks they should have stopped by now and be kept in a bottle along with the other dreams; but nightmares are not the same in the Dawn Zone.

Act 3: Dreaming
Lights shines on Emma
who is in bed.

Emma
(She is dreaming a night mare and looks like she is having an epileptic seizure.)

Emma
(She gasps, grabs the cup of water from her bedside table and gulps it all down.)

Emma
(She sprints to the bathroom to puke it all out.)

Emma
It is not real. It was just a dream. Emma, your hands are not bloody and you are alive.
(While she is looking into the mirror, she stretches out her face with her fingers and slaps herself.)

Kim
Screeches
Emma
(She stands abrupt and slowly creeps down stairs and watches to make sure no one is following her)

Act 4: The Final Conversation
Lights on Kim’s head and her shoulders show. Kim and Emma are in the family room, at night.

Emma
(She looks around for what or whom made the sound.)
Kim
giggles
Emma
Who is there?
Kim
It’s me, Kim.
Emma
(Rushes over to see and looks astounded)
Kim
I am Kim and I know your name is Emma. Listen I need to go to the Mall immediately. I know I am Abby’s mannequin head, but… Anyone home?
Emma
But, but you are not real. I do not trust you.
Emma
This is like a book and I am not falling for it.
(She crosses her arms)
Kim
But you have too. Please, Emma. This is your chance to be the heroine. Marissa, the queen of all the mannequins are decapitating and ripping the ruthless mannequins.
Kim
And if you don’t, I will tell a secret about you to Abby
Emma
(She gasps)
How do you know that?
Kim
(She smirks)
Emma
But you have to give me something in return.
Kim
Good. Come right next to me and I will whisper, what I can do.
(She thinks and brightens evilly.)

(Emma and Kim move right next to each other. Kim makes Emma close her eyes and take a deep breath. Just as Kim breathes in with her eyes closed. Emma breathes out, with her eyes opened)
Emma
Bye, Kim.
(She gives an evil smile at her. She walks away from Kim and walks out the door)
Kim
(Kim acts like a real fake mannequin head)