A Puppet's Heart | Teen Ink

A Puppet's Heart

By 10tenK GOLD, Garland, Texas
10tenK GOLD, Garland, Texas

Carpe The Heck Out of Diem

CHARACTERS
HUNTER, YOUNG HUNTER

London detective, age 30-45
AGLECA, YOUNG AGLECA
An ugly human from birth, age 50-65/ 10-15

ABIGAIL

The Puppeteer’s surviving puppet, age 10-16
GUY, YOUNG GUY

Head of Chalgrove, age 50-65/ 10-15

ERWIN, YOUNG ERWIN

Guy’s best friend, speaks cockney accent, age 50-65/ 10-15
COMMANDER

Hunter’s boss, comic relief, posh British accent, age 40+
ASSISTANT

Commander’s flatterer, comic relief, posh British, age 35+
MAN

Murdered by Abigail in the first scene, age 20+
VILLAGER 2

Crazy woman, help delivered Agleca, cockney accent, 50+
MAN AND WOMAN VOICES

Appears in Hunter’s childhood nightmare
CHORUS

Villagers, age varies
DIALECTS:
All of the characters in this play speaks British accent unless specified in the character list otherwise.
SETTING:
England in the early 1800’s outside of London in a small village and in the woods.
A NOTE BEFORE STARTING
Abigail is a puppet created by human beings. Her emotions and feelings are to be expressed ONLY with the sound of her voice and her actions, NOT with her face unless directed to do so. Thus, any actress who attempts to portray this character should consider deleting any facial expression techniques that she learned, and only focus on putting up a straight face with an emotional character voice. Abigail may wear a mask for this reason if desires.

SYNOPSIS:

Hunter, a detective whose tragic past becomes his inspiration and motivation to do justice, learns the importance of acceptance after witnessing the unfortunate yet eternal love of Agleca and Abigail.
SCENES
SCENE 1:

Crime scene, midday
SCENE 2:

Sweetland, night
SCENE 3:

Chalgrove, evening
SCENE 4:

A police commander’s office in London, afternoon
SCENE 5:

In the woods, night
SCENE 6:

Alternate scene between Sweetland and London
SCENE 7:

The ruins of Sweetland, evening

SCENE 1
(Nothing but Young Hunter is in center stage with spotlight on him. He is in his sleeping attire and is hugging a teddy bear or a doll. He stands there and looks shocked, speechless, and scared with his eyes wide open. There are voices and actions happening but only in the shadows.)
WOMAN VOICE
(Screams) ARGHH! HUNTER, RUN! RUN!
MAN VOICE 1
You’re running nowhere, mi-lady! (A sound of sword slashing against flesh and a quick and painful scream, then, a sound of door opens violently.)
MAN VOICE 2
Hands to your head scoundrel! Arrest him. (sounds of footsteps approaching the other side, handcuff clicked and then footsteps going away)
MAN VOICE 2
Hunter, son, thank God you are unharmed.
MAN VOICE 3
Sir, there’s… something I need to report.
MAN VOICE 2
Speak quickly
MAN VOICE 3
Your wife, sir, she’s…
MAN VOICE 2
No, Lucy! NO! (a sound of crying and a desperate scream. Blackout.)
(A man is being chased in the woods. He is running but there is no sign of the one who is chasing him. He trips and hurts his ankle. He hears a voice singing and hides behind a rock).
(Enters Abigail)

ABIGAIL
(Looks at the sky and walks out slowly from where the man enters towards where he is hiding):
Twinkle, twinkle, little star
How your lights pierced through the dark
Up above the world so high
Yet you bring sight to my eyes.
(She runs up to the man)
ABIGAIL:
How about a song?
MAN
Please! I will not tell anyone of this. Please spare me!
ABIGAIL
HOW ABOUT A SONG?
MAN
How about you die!
(He takes out a pocket knife and stabs her, but she is unharmed. She takes the knife out of her body and begins to stab him many times even after he is dead. Enters Agelca, he is wearing a cape which covers his face)
AGLECA
That’s enough Abby. The man paid for his foolishness. Come, let us not linger in these woods at this hour.
(Exit all but the corpse. Morning comes and a group of men enter including Guy, Erwin and Villager 2. They should be already aware of the dead body, talking about it and investigating. Enters detective Hunter holding some paperwork)
HUNTER
(Investigating the body) Were all the victims found like this?
GUY
Dead?
HUNTER
(Looks at Guy) And you are?
GUY
I’m Guy, head of Chalgrove (Extends his hand), and you must be detective Hunter from London.
HUNTER
(Ignoring the hand extension, continue investigating) Yes, I am. Were all the victims chased down and then stabbed brutally many times in the neck?
ERWIN
‘ow do you know dat ‘e was chased down?
HUNTER
His ankle is broken and his shirt is wet with perspiration. He must have been running from something before coming here.
GUY
(Glares at Erwin and draws back his hand)
No, not everyone is like this. This bastard’s a real creative son-of-a-b****: some were strung in a tree, some were drowned in a pond, some die from fear, as the doctor here said.
HUNTER
From fear?
VILLAGER 2
Yes, from fear. Satan ‘as sent a demon up ‘ere ta punish us. We are all sinful and we ‘ave angered the Lord. The end is coming!
GUY
Off you go you mad woman! Shoo! Shoo!
(Villager 2 screams as she exits. Hunter continues to investigate the crime scene.)
ERWIN
(Pulls Guy aside as Hunter investigates) W’o’s this guy?

GUY
Some detective named Hunter, sent from London he said.
ERWIN
Pfft! Almighty Parliament finally answers our prayers with a boy!
HUNTER
Demon she said?
GUY
You believed in the woman? Why her mind is as empty as a coffin? Let me tell you…
HUNTER
And yet she stands the only one who has given me a clue since the time of my arrival. Tell me, what is this…demon she speaks of?
GUY
It is only a tale to scare children…
HUNTER
It is not for you to decide what tales are for what purposes.
GUY
Very well, I shall tell you if you so desire. It happened when I was a child. There was once a town, almost worthy of the title “city” itself, the city of Sweetland Circle.
(It is now that the other half of the stage transforms into a town, or a representation of it and The Puppeteer shall make his appearance upon mentioning. Lights dim on the stage except for the town and Guy should be spotted. All of what is to be said in the next monologue is to be represented by the actors on stage.)
GUY
The city held promise of a great future of fortune and prosperity. It was famous for its inventions and the magic that drew spectators from all around the country. There was one most talented magician of Sweetland who called himself “The Puppeteer”. It was said that his puppets were so similar to human that it was hard to distinguish. Their tears, their laughter, and their songs, their pure, sweet songs, echoed in the mind of strangers who happened to walk by. But he was obsessed with dark magic and kept on experimenting with his puppets, to give them even more “life.” Darkness consumed his mind and he became mad. The Puppeteer and his puppets vanished and were nowhere to be found. Some said he died of madness and his body was consumed by Lucifer along with his puppets. Some said he became Lucifer’s right hand himself and seeks refuge in the woods to capture lost souls. But his whereabouts were of no concern for the citizens of Sweetland Circle, for disasters fell upon their heads. Drought, famine, diseases, theft, murder, rape, and chaos replaced the prosperity once held in the land. The citizens fled to other towns, seeking for a chance of survival; the city was left to rot in the mouths of insects and rats. (Everything returns to normal as the Sweetland representatives turns into normal citizens still at the crime scene in the woods) And so, remember to always listen to your parents or else the puppets may come and take you away. (Guy and Erwin laugh)
HUNTER
(Offended) And what does this story serve in bringing the demon in my doubting mind into the lights?
GUY
The Puppeteer himself is said to be alive and responsible for disasters in town since he practiced dark magic. Shortly after the city was abandoned, a man was found dead, strung up in a tree in these woods; and although we banned this area to prevent tragic deaths with warning signs for travelers, it has become the grave for many.
HUNTER
Where is this Sweetland Circle that you speak of?
GUY
Just west of here, several miles on foot; (short silence) enough with the legends, come, let us drag this poor, ignorant soul back to town and see a proper burial.
HUNTER
No, I will take a few men with me to Sweetland.
GUY
But that is madness, no one here would follow. The place is forbidden with threats of death. If
HUNTER
That is my will and none shall turn my mind to another path. Now who in here is brave enough to go with me and put an end to this superstitious legend? (No response) Then I shall go by myself, cowards. (Exits)
ERWIN
Why didn’t you tell ‘im about Agleca? The only one w’o…
GUY
Silence! I would not speak of him again. (Attempts to move the corpse) Now let’s get to work and put this soul here out of its misery. That foolish detective will soon join this corpse either way…
ERWIN
So you would let ‘im die knowing that ‘e would? ‘ave you grown up to be a man absent honor or courage? Guy, it was not our fault that Agleca gone missing. We were kids and our minds were too busy with games dat we didn’t think of others. But we’re adults now, and you’re the ‘ead of Chalgrove, WE ‘ave responsibility…
GUY
Responsibility? Did you not think that I feel responsible for these deaths in the woods? These men, these innocent souls were put forever to rest in the hands of Lucifer because of me, because of my cowardice and my lack of empathy for Agleca…
ERWIN
Then amend it, right your wrongs! Prove to God t’at you are worthy to call yourself one of his children.
GUY
Do you think I do not desire to? Who am I but a man, an old man, useless in need of muscles? What have I but bare hands?
ERWIN
You ‘ave a heart, and through the years your merits and contributions to Chalgrove ‘ave been tremendous. I’m sure that one word from you and the village will follow your lead.
GUY
(A short silence) Erwin, the only thing I ever did right was to make you my truest friend. (short silence) I require time…to think about it.
ERWIN
Well, don’t take too long, ‘cause time is the only thing we can’t regrasp.
(Every actor left on stage should be exiting WITH PURPOSE throughout the scene with a few left who will help carrying the corpse inside. All exit but Guy)
GUY
May God be with us. (Blackout)
SCENE 2
(Abigail is sitting and humming in a ruined room, messy, but livable. Enters Agleca slowly with a cane to support him.)
AGLECA
(Looks out the window) Time is running out; he is coming. (To Abigail) I do not know how much more time I am able to admire your face and voice. (He puts his hand to his left chest) And your heart, beating softly inside my chest, how much longer will I be able to carry it?
ABBIGAIL
You’re speaking riddles today, Agleca. Give your words some meaning.
AGLECA
Give it no thought, my sweet. Come, let me comb your hair. (She walks over to the table to get a comb and advances toward Agleca. She gives the comb to him and sits in front of him with her face facing the audience. Agleca combs her hair slowly with his shaking hand.)
AGLECA
Your hair is so beautiful now. Golden and long like strips of moonlight descended from heaven. Remember when we first met? Oh, how your hair looked then! Fragile and broken, unattended!
ABIGAIL
Yes, I remember.
AGLECA
And your eyes, so lost, so desperate, dead… (She holds his hand that is combing her hair and looks up to him.)
ABIGAIL
I was confused Agleca. Master created me for the sole purpose of singing for human’s entertainment. I have an angel’s voice, as my master once said. It was the happiest time of my life, to sing for the entire world to hear, for after all, I desire to do so. But it soon ended for reasons only master comprehended. One day, after a long time unable to sing, I saw a man. I was really happy; I ran up to him and asked “How about a song, Mister?” But then, he started screaming and called me “monster”. I was so scared! I thought I offended him and master didn’t like his puppets offending humans. After all, all I did was my purpose of life: to sing for humans. I just wanted to sing! I tried to apologize but the man wouldn’t listen and kept on running and screaming. And so I had no choice but to shut him up by stringing him up to a tree, like how master did to his puppets whenever they are naughty. And there he was…quieter than ever. Everyone after was the same, until you, Agleca, (lights dim and blackout slowly) until you.
SCENE 3
(It is a night of tempest. Sounds of thunder and sights of lightning devour the sky. There is a house, or a representation of it, upstage right, small and deranged. A woman is giving birth to a child, there is no need to show the woman in action but should be mere sounds of the woman’s scream with the cry of the baby. Villager 2 is in the house or offstage and is delivering the baby.)
VILLAGER 2
A lit’le more ‘ear, push it! PUSH! (A sound of baby crying) ARGHHH! MONSTER! MONSTER! MRS. DEVLON! MRS. DEVLON! (Runs out of the house and scream) ‘ELP! SOMEBO’Y, ‘ELP! SHE ‘AS GIVEN ‘ER LIFE TO A MONSTER! (Exits. The sun is almost set, the tempest before should trades place with a more peaceful evening. Enters Young Agleca holding a doll and two boys, one is Young Guy and the other Young Erwin. The boys are playing when Agleca passes by in a cape.)
YOUNG GUY
Well, well, Erwin, what have we here? Is it not Agleca, the cursed boy of Chalgrove? What business are you attending in such hurry feet? (Young Agleca is silent, he attempts to pass by the boys quickly, Young Erwin stands in his way)
YOUNG ERWIN
We would ‘ave answer from you, lit’le monster. (Pushes Young Agleca to the ground)
YOUNG AGLECA
(Quietly and shyly) I’m tending to my mother’s grave. T’is her day of birth, please Guy, Erwin… let me pass.
YOUNG GUY
(Mocking) Your mum’s birthday is it? And what do you present her, your ugly sight that robbed your mum of breath? Hm? (Guy and Erwin laugh)
YOUNG AGLECA
(Whisper) No (He hides the doll behind him)
YOUNG ERWIN
(Notices Agleca’s motion) ‘e’s hiding some’ing behind ‘is back!
YOUNG GUY
Then let us see it revealed! (They begin to beat Young Agleca, who now holds the doll to his stomach and attempts to protect it. However, his physical strength does not allow it and after a while, Young Guy and Young Erwin possess the doll in their hands)
YOUNG ERWIN
Such an ugly doll! (To Young Agleca) ‘ow did you come in possession of this ugly thing? I ‘ave not seen it in market. (Silence, he kicks Young Agleca once more in his stomach) Speak!
YOUNG AGLECA
(In pain) I…I made it…myself. Please, give it back to me.
YOUNG GUY
Such ugliness fits you, Agleca. An ugly doll with an ugly master, no wonder your mum despised you so much as to leave this world. (The two boys laugh)
YOUNG AGLECA
Do not speak of my mother!
(He seizes the doll, pushes the boys down, and run towards the woods. The boys were surprise of this sudden attack and regain strength after a while and chase Agleca. All exits. The setting turns into the woods. It is dark outside so there is no light but spots on Young Guy, Young Erwin, and Young Agleca. Enters Young Agleca, running as fast as he can despite his unbalanced feet. He trips and falls as he hears Young Guy’s voice.)
YOUNG GUY
(Offstage) This way!
(Young Agleca hides behind a rock. Enter Young Guy and Young Erwin)
YOUNG ERWIN
(Scared) T’is late, I think we ought to go back…
YOUNG GUY
We will not go anywhere until we catch that insolent little monster!
(Abigail enters in the dark without anyone, even the audience, to notice. She is singing in the dark. When she finishes with the song, she should be in front of Young Guy and Young Erwin. While the song is going on, the boys are scared and are looking hopelessly for the source of the sound.)
ABIGAIL
(In “Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Stars” tune)
Once the Sunlight leaves the sky
The Moon rises with the light
Life gives up the warm for cold
Death unfolds unto to us all.
(Lights up, Abigail is in front Young Guy and Young Erwin)
How…about…a song?
(Young Guy and Young Erwin scream as they run. Young Agleca weeps, arms hugging his knees with his head on his lap. Abigail attempts to chase Young Guy and Young Erwin but hears the weeping sound, laughs maliciously and runs towards the boy)
ABIGAIL
How…about…a song?
YOUNG AGLECA
(Looks up with tearful eyes and smiles a gentle, shy smile)
Song? You would sing…for me?
YOUNG ABIGAIL
(Surprised) What?
YOUNG AGLECA
(His voice is still shaking from crying)
Would you sing for me…Miss Ghost? No…one…has ever done something like that for me before. (Sniffs) My name is Agleca Devlon. Sing…Miss Ghost. (He sniffs and then cries loudly. Abigail is startled. Black out.)
SCENE 4
(At a police station in London, the Commander of the Metropolitan Police is sitting in his office with his Assistant. He is sitting at a desk, chatting casually with his Assistant.)
COMMANDER
Work, work, work! There is nothing in my life that is more interesting than work! London these days has become a filthy place; reeking with poverty, full of crime and stupid people. Argh! This paperwork sickens me!
ASSISTANT
Indeed! It is because of these insolent people that this once beautiful city has become a place for rats and thieves.
COMMANDER
These people have only increased our work! So much work and so little coins in our pockets. Surely, the high Lord Mayor of London must have a break-down for carrying so many coins that it doubles his fat-ass weight! (Imitates a heavy walk, both laughs, knocks on door)
HUNTER
(Offstage) Pardon me gentlemen, it is Hunter, may I come in?
COMMANDER
(To Assistant) Speaking of the devil. (Loudly) Please, come in detective sergeant.
HUNTER
(Enters) Please excuse my invasion but I believe you’ve summoned me, Lord Commander.
COMMANDER
Indeed I did, sit down there detective, or may I call you Hunter? (Hunter nods) I sent for you because there’s a case that had been troubling me the last few days. Tea?
HUNTER
No, thank you. You were speaking about a difficult case?
COMMANDER
(Offended, pouring tea for himself, speaking sarcastically) Yes, a most troublesome series of murders outside of London that need special attention.
HUNTER
Where at? What seems to be the issue?
COMMANDER
Chalgrove, I believe. (The Assistant hands Hunter a small stack of paper) Here’s the information. I cannot think of anyone else but you who would fit for the job.
HUNTER
(Looking at the paper) You are flattering me, Commander, I shall depart today and see this case solved.
COMMANDER
So soon? Would you not linger for tea?
HUNTER
Apologies, Commander, I lack the time to do so. There is much preparation that requires my attention before I depart. Farewell, Commander. (Exits)
COMMANDER
(As Hunter exits) Off you go then, good luck! (To himself) Insolent fool! If he’s not the son of the Lord Mayor himself then he wouldn’t be elevated to “detective” so soon in his life. And the boy thinks he has the skills!
ASSISTANT
I heard he is very good.
COMMANDER
(Sarcastically) Really?
ASSISTANT
Yes. He has only been in the force three years yet he has solved more than fifty cases, mostly murder cases if I remember correctly. He has the best marksmanship in our forces, never misses the bulls-eye, and his stamina is incredible. Not to mention his sense of justice. He once offended an aristocrat just to defend a prostitute that was beaten by the rich bastard. The people of London respect him deeply.

COMMANDER
And I assume that you respect him as well?
ASSISTANT
Well, yes, quite a lot actually. He is quite a charming lad.
COMMANDER
Then why don’t you go and call him Commander, you little rat! (He kicks the Assistant’s chair, the assistant fell to the ground.)
ASSISTANT
Of…Of course he can never be compared with our commander, who is so benevolent and talented. With you in command, London’s crime rate has dropped…
COMMANDER
Enough! Flattering hypocrite! (Hits Assistant’s head with a rolled newspaper) Get up, ya little pig before someone come in here and thinks I mistreated you! (Assistant gets up and is fixing his clothes) What gives that brat so much energy to go around London chasing vagabonds? Youth perhaps?
ASSISTANT
I heard that his mother was murdered before his eyes when he was little.
COMMANDER
Say, where did you hear all these things?
ASSISTANT
I have eyes and ears all around London. (Smirks, the Commander rolls his eyes)
COMMANDER
(Sipping his tea) His mother dies before his eyes? Poor little thing, no wonder he’s so energetic. Now back to what we were saying about our salary… (Lights dim, sounds quieting slowly until Blackout.)

SCENE 5
(Young Hunter is asleep in his bedroom, which is only a corner of the stage being spotted; the rest of the stage is in the dark. His mother’s voice is singing a lullaby in the background, offstage. He murmurs “Ma, mother” while the song is playing.)
WOMAN’S VOICE
Dream of the wood fairies my child
In the enchanted forest
Where they sing and they dance with a laugh and a smile
And they tease the travelers who’d stop to rest
And though they are rude sometimes,
They mean no harm intentions,
Instead they bring joy and they drink the wine
Of immortality.
So dream of the wood fairies my child,
For they can heal all the sadness in the world.
(Say) Goodnight, dear.
(Hunter wakes up and sits up quickly, breathing heavily, and look around for his mother. Then, he hears a tune, Abigail’s humming tune, in the woods, so he runs into the woods, still saying “Ma, mother” quietly. Lights up on stage, in the woods, spotlight shut off from the bedroom scene. Abigail enters; she is humming the tune and picking flowers. Enters Hunter, still looking around, spots Abigail.)
YOUNG HUNTER
Pardon me, Miss…Are you… (Abigail is startled, without saying a word, tries to run away)
YOUNG HUNTER
Please don’t run, I mean no harm. I was just following the music that you were humming. It sounded a lot like my mother’s lullaby.
(Abigail stopped, turns back. Hunter smiles and sighs a relief sigh, walks up to her)
YOUNG HUNTER
Who taught you that song, dear Miss?
ABIGAIL
My master told me not to talk to strangers.

YOUNG HUNTER
Well, if we become friends then I would not be a stranger to you now, would I? Oh please excuse my incivility; it was rude of me to not have introduced myself. My name is Hunter, from London. I beg your name, young Miss.
ABIGAIL
Abigail.
YOUNG HUNTER
What a lovely name you have.
ABIGAIL
Thank you.
YOUNG HUNTER
Now we aren’t strangers anymore. You could talk to me now, could you?
ABIGAIL
What do you want to talk about?
YOUNG HUNTER
That song that you just hummed, where did you learn it?
ABIGAIL
Master taught me. (Enters Agleca behind them. He is not noticed by Abigail and Hunter. He hides behind a tree to listen to their conversation.)
YOUNG HUNTER
(Excited) Who is your master? May I meet him? (Abigail is silent, Hunter draws back his excitement, turns toward the audience. Abigail pulls out a knife slowly behind his back without him noticing.) Pardon me, Abigail, it was just that…my mother used to sing that song to me every night to put me to bed.
ABIGAIL
Where is your mother now? (Holds the knife up high, ready to stab him; Agleca watches carefully, holds out his arm trying to signal her to stop, but she did not see)

YOUNG HUNTER
She is one with God now. (Abigail stops) Say (turns back, Abigail hides the knife behind her back quickly), what are you doing here in these woods at this late hour?
ABIGAIL
I was picking some daisies to lighten up my house.
YOUNG HUNTER
Picking flower? At this hour of night? Where are your parents?
ABIGAIL
I have none.
YOUNG HUNTER
(Surprises) None? But with whom do you stay with? (Abigail is silent) Never mind it. Hey Abigail…would you sing for me? (Abigail looks at him surprisingly) If…If it isn’t too much, I would like to hear that song that you just hummed. I have not heard it in a long time. (Abigail hesitates a little bit, then begins to sing the song above. As she sings, lights dim and spot on Hunter. She is exiting as she sings while Young Hunter is facing the audience and dreams of his mother. Half way through the song, Young Hunter begins to cry.)
YOUNG HUNTER
(Still crying) Pardon me; it is not proper of me to cry in front of a lady. (Wipes his eyes with his sleeves)Please continue. (Pause, he turns back, not seeing her) Abigail? (Shouts) Abby?
MAN VOICE
(Offstage, shouting) Hunter? ...Hunter?
YOUNG HUNTER
Pa? Papa! (Jumps up in excitement) I met a wood fairy Pa! I met her! (Blackout on his side, lights up on Agleca and Abigail)
AGLECA
Why didn’t you kill him Abigail?
ABIGAIL
He wanted to hear me sing Agleca…he wanted to hear me sing. (Agleca snickers. Blackout)
SCENE 6
(Half a stage is being shared, one for Hunter and the other for Abby and Agleca. Alternating. Lights up on Hunter’s side, a tomb with a gravestone is on stage; it is Hunter’s mother’s grave. Enters Hunter running; he is very excited.)
YOUNG HUNTER
Hello Ma! You will never guess who I’ve seen last night! A wood fairy, Ma! A wood fairy! She was singing the lullaby that you used to sing to me. (A small, childish laugh) Her name is Abigail; she was really lovely and kind. She sang the lullaby for me. Oh her voice was so beautiful! It reminded me of yours Ma, your lovely voice that guided me to the enchanted forest in my dreams, (Sighs) the voice that I took for granted, thinking that it will always be with me; the voice that I wasn’t able to protect because I was too weak; but worry not Ma, for I am not weak anymore. I will grow stronger and protect those that need justice. I will prevent the tragedy that happened to me. I will protect the innocent souls from getting hurt. Just you wait and see!
(Blackout on Hunter’s side, lights up on the other side, showing Young Agleca combing Abigail’s hair. He is no longer wearing a cape.)
YOUNG AGLECA
Finished! Let me look at you. (He turns Abigail around) your hair suits you now.
ABIGAIL
Thank…you
YOUNG AGLECA
Why do you speak like that?
ABIGAIL
Like…what?

YOUNG AGLECA
In fragments, you should learn to flow your sentences. (He takes a look around) There are so many books in here! Oh how I wish I know how to read. (Disappointed) If only.
ABIGAIL
I…do

YOUNG AGLECA
What?
ABIGAIL
Abby…can…teach…AG…LECA…to…read.
YOUNG AGLECA
Try to say it faster, with more flow. Try “Abby can teach…Agleca…to read”
ABIGAIL
“Abby can teach…Agleca…to read”
YOUNG AGLECA
Much better! (Thinking and “jumps up”, not literally, in excitement) I know! I can teach you how to speak and you can teach me how to read, how ‘bout it? (Abigail nods) So it’s a deal then. We’ll work hard Abby, for a greater future. (Black out on their side. Lights up on Hunter, who is sweeping and tending his mother’s grave.)
HUNTER
I’ve solved another case today, Ma, which accounts for the fiftieth case since I started becoming a policeman. Impressive, no? The Commander said I would soon be promoted to Detective Sergeant. You can imagine how Pa must feel when he heard it, laughing and complimenting me and saying that he was proud of me. He said that at this rate, I’ll be at the top of the police force in no time. That’s not what I want, Ma. The reason I joined the police is for you, to prevent another tragedy like mine. (Short silence) Have to go now, Ma, Pa is holding a celebratory ball for me today, which I absolutely dislike. Sleep tight. (He kisses the gravestone, blackout on his side)
YOUNG AGLECA
(Reading a book, closes it and puts it down) Hey Abby, have you read this (Holding the book up) “Romeo and Juliet” by William Shakespeare.
ABIGAIL
Yes, I have
YOUNG AGLECA
Then…you know what…love is?
ABIGAIL
Yes, love is an affectionate feeling one has for another.
YOUNG AGLECA
That’s it?
ABIGAIL
I believe so.
YOUNG AGLECA
Well, I think there is more to it than just one sentence. (Black out on their side. Lights up on Hunter’s; he is at his mother’s grave)
HUNTER
Hello, Ma, I came to say good-bye. I’ve been assigned a case outside of London and I have to depart to-day. I’ve already said good-bye to Pa, if that’s what you are worrying about, like how you always were, worrying about the little details. I won’t be seeing you for a while, but worry not, for your teachings of justice will always be in my mind. I will never forget it. Farewell, Ma, I will see you in a few months. (Black out on his side, lights up on Young Agleca’s)
ABIGAIL
What do you mean?
YOUNG AGLECA
Come, let me show you. (They come closer. Young Agleca takes her hand and puts it on his left chest) Can you feel it?
ABIGAIL
Feel what?
YOUNG AGLECA
My heart beating.
ABIGAIL
Yes, I can feel it
YOUNG AGLECA
Well, I think the heart is the indicator of love, for when you are closer to those that you love, your heart beats faster, unlike after you run or when you are scared, but it gives out a special feeling, nervous almost, to the point where words hold no meanings, to the point where the world becomes nothing save the space which the lovers exist.
ABIGAIL
(Excited. Take his hand and put it on her chest)
Can you feel it? Can you feel my heart beating?
YOUNG AGLECA
(Surprised and embarrassed) Y…Yes, I can feel it beating…inside my chest. (An awkward moment of silence, Agleca then removes his hand from her chest and walking toward the window with his back facing her) Don’t you think the weather is lovely today?
ABIGAIL
(Walking toward him) Yes, Agleca.
YOUNG AGLECA
I…I think we should go out and play to-day. What do you think? (He turns around; she is behind him, looking up. He kisses her. After the kiss, he studies her face for a moment.) Abby, why is your face always like this? Why can’t you smile or cry?
ABIGAIL
I don’t know… maybe because I don’t have a heart.
YOUNG AGLECA
(Reassuring her) You do! Abby, you do! (Pause) And it belongs to me. (He kisses her again. Lights dim until blackout.)
SCENE 6
(Hunter is in the center of the stage. Spot on him and lights dim on the rest.)
HUNTER
(Studying the documents) Come to think of it, all of the victims have one thing in common: they were all unable to scream in their moment of death. The target of the murderer is the neck of the victims so they cannot scream when they die. Why? There is no one in the woods, why does the murderer wants them to die silently? Guy said that the puppets can sing and The Puppeteer may still be alive and he may be the murderer. But why does he want his victims to be unable to speak? Unless…unless he wants an audience, a silent audience that will sit still and listen to his puppets sing. (Pause) An audience is what he wants, then an audience he shall have.
(Lights up to show that Hunter arrives at a house in Sweetland. He is in the Puppeteer’s house and is investigating. He looks around and sees a book titled “Puppets” on the table, already opened to a page titled “A Puppet’s Heart”. He holds the book up and reads it)
HUNTER
“A puppet heart is what keeps a puppet alive. It gives a puppet feelings, emotions, and movements on its freewill. However, it is forged by a human master and can only be kept alive if it is next to a human heart within a human’s chest. As long as the puppet’s heart remains beside a human’s, it will continue beating and takes action towards its master’s benefits.” (Upon finishing, a voice comes up behind his back)
AGLECA
(Enters) Detective Hunter, are you not? I’ve been waiting for you.
HUNTER
(Turns around, pulls out his gun) With whom am I speaking? Are you The Puppeteer?
AGLECA
I see that Guy has not inform you of my existence. I hold no meaning to anyone in Chalgrove, or the world, or God himself…
HUNTER
You’re speaking riddles! Tell me your name and your purpose here among these ruins.
AGLECA
To what end? Can you put me out of my misery? Can you revive my mother? Repel the hatred that was rewarded to me by God and the villagers? Can you put an end…to this? (He removes his cape. A moment of silence, Hunter is shocked, Agleca coughs violently, enters Abigail, hiding behind Agleca’s back.)
HUNTER
(With a sense of urgency and confusion of what to do or say after seeing Agleca)
Abigail? What is she to you? (Pause) Speak!
AGLECA
(Regains dignity) Her? She stands only my…reward from last night…

HUNTER
(Pointing the gun at Agleca) Surrender her and see that your life be spared!
AGLECA
(Raises his hands over his head slowly) Ahh! A kind heart, risking staining your hands with blood to save an innocent soul…
HUNTER
Seize tongue and see it done!
AGLECA
Calm yourself...Abigail, do as the gentleman requires of you. (Abigail walks behind Hunter)
HUNTER
Now, I would see that you are properly arrested for your… (Abigail puts a knife behind his back) What…what is the meaning of this?
ABIGAIL
Drop your gun detective. (With a little bit of hesitation and humiliation, he does as commands)
HUNTER
I will not beg for mercy. If your desire is to…
AGLECA
Nor will you have to. I wish not to have you killed, I only ask a favor.
HUNTER
And what gives you reasons to believe that I would agree to this favor.
AGLECA
(Grins) I don’t believe you have much choice. I would have you look over Abigail…when I’m gone.
ABIGAIL
Agleca?

HUNTER
To look over a killer? You honestly…
AGLECA
To look over an innocent soul. What she did was only to protect me from those men, those honest men that cannot stand my sight and called me monster upon seeing my face.
HUNTER
So you killed them? Only because…
AGLECA
We did what we must to live… (Coughs violently and kneels to the floor. Abigail is distracted and Hunter turns his back to swing the knife away from Abigail and throws her towards Agleca. He picks the gun up.)
HUNTER
(Pointing the gun towards them) Seems like I have a choice now…
AGLECA
(Laughs violently) Go ahead. Pull the trigger, kill me now or I’ll die later. What’s the difference? But Abby is innocent. She does not understand that she has taken away lives. You read it yourself; a puppet can only obey her master. Kill me and be a hero, blame me for all the crimes in the world as everyone else has. It doesn’t make a difference to me, but Abigail, she’s innocent…
HUNTER
Silence! I will not spend the rest of my life looking over a killer! My destiny was already decided by God that I shall be dealing with freaks and psychopaths like you the rest of my life and see that justice be done…
AGLECA
Justice? Justice? (laughs violently) You dare speak to me of justice? Where was justice when I needed it? Where was it when the kids threw rocks at me, the adults despised me, and the dogs pissed on me? Where was justice when your mother perished in the hands of a filthy thief?
HUNTER
(Surprised) How did you know about my mother?
AGLECA
How can I not know that the wife of the Lord Mayor of London was murdered? Everybody knows…
HUNTER
Then you know why I must not…I cannot take care of Abigail. I cannot take care of a killer!
GUY
(Offstage) Hunter, where are you?
(Hunter is distracted, Agleca ran over the closet or some kind of container and get out a detonator.)
AGLECA
I spent my life planning for this day! This town is full of explosives and if I am to press this, we will all perish. Unless you agree to take care of Abigail or your friends out there will be buried in one big grave!
HUNTER
Do not fool me, I have checked the city when I arrived, there were nothing of the sort.
AGLECA
Try me!
(With a moment of hesitation, he drops his gun and fall down on his knees)
HUNTER
What…what would you have me do?
AGLECA
Stay still. Abby, transfer your heart to him.
ABIGAIL
Agleca?
AGLECA
Do it now while there’s still time! (coughs violently and breaths heavily. Abigail puts her hands to his left chest and pulls out a spherical object that glows and put it in Hunter’s)
AGLECA
(Smiles in satisfaction) Abby, would you sing for me?
ABIGAIL
(Turns back, Agleca holds her hand. She sings and as she sings, tears fell from her eyes but her face is still straight and cold.)
When Pandora was your friend
And you thought all doors were closed
If you look with all your heart
There is one that’s labeled “Hope”
AGLECA
You smiled… (laughs) Finally, I saw you smile, Abigail.
(Agleca dies, Abigail stops singing, and she turns back to Hunter. If Abigail has a mask, she should take it off here.)
ABIGAIL
Thank you for fulfilling his last wish. (Blood falls from her mouth)
HUNTER
Blood…I don’t understand, you…transferred your heart to me.
ABIGAIL
(Smiles) I couldn’t, the heart chooses its master (She turns back to Agleca corpse, kneels down next to him, crosses her arms on his chest, rests her head on her arms, and powers down. Guy, Erwin, and the villagers brake in, everyone is silent. Lights dim until blackout.)
EPILOGUE
(Hunter is at his mother’s grave. He is sitting down next to her grave, arms on his laps with hands together.)
HUNTER
Remember the case I told you a month ago that I needed to attend to outside of London? Well, I solved it. I learned more about Agleca, the murderer, later on. It turns out that the murderer and I have a similar past. He lost his mother, he was despised by the people around him, and he was forced to the edge where he must do something to tell the world how he feels. (Brakes down to tears, but not violently) Ma, what is justice? Is justice just only means to catch bad guys and saving innocent souls? How do I know which are the bad guys and which are the unfortunates? Are the unfortunates guilty because God destines them to be so? (Short silence) I was promoted to Inspector yesterday, Ma, and Pa is really proud. But I don’t know if this is going to work for me anymore. Maybe I should stop chasing the past and face the present. Ma, please, show me the way. (He looks at the gravestone, stands up, walks over and kisses it. Lights dim, Abigail’s innocent voice, almost like a whisper, echoes softly in the background first. His mother’s lullaby, in a music-box tune, is being sung by Abigail. Hunter is aware of the sound, terrified, covers his ears, looking for the source of the voice.)
ABIGAIL
(Enters with blood still on her mouth; she is emotionless) How about a song, Mister? (Hunter turns around, spots Abigail, silent. Music gets louder for awhile then fades as lights dim gradually and stop at blackout.)
The End.