The Waiting Room | Teen Ink

The Waiting Room

December 15, 2015
By Maxebryan BRONZE, Houston, Texas
Maxebryan BRONZE, Houston, Texas
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Scene 1; The Waiting Room

Two men are standing on stage, in front of the curtains, when the lights come up. One is clothed in a white coat and stethoscope(DOCTOR), while the other is wearing everyday street attire(DAVID).

DOCTOR:Mr. Metcalf?

DAVID:Yes? I'm sorry I'm so late, I came as fast as I could. How's Jennifer? Is she alright? How did it go? She's not hurt is she?

DOCTOR:(hearty laughter)Whoa, slow down. She's fine, everything's fine, no need to worry. In fact, your wife is acting surprisingly well for someone who just had 2 kids shoot out of her.

DAVID:Wait, what? What was that last part there

DOCTOR:(laughter) I was only joking! the kids didn't actually shoot out of her, its just an expression.

DAVID:No i got that, its just before that...you, you said that... Okay my wife she, she... Two kids?

DOCTOR:(suspicious) Yes she had... I assumed that you... DAVID's face is both confused and scared, DOCTOR can tell that he hasnt heard the news...I know this all might be a bit overwhelming, but the world has a funny way of surprising people sometimes. DAVID is still processing all of this. It's not a bad surprise! Cheer up, you asked for one gift and the world gave you two, you should be happy!

DAVID:No I am it's just...is it (corrects himself) are they Boys?

DOCTOR:Girls. At this, DAVID'S face lights up and takes on a completely different expression of worry and confusion. DOCTOR begins to walk off stage right to lead DAVID to his family. Come on they're very excited to see you, they've been asking for more money since the moment they came out. He turns over his shoulder to see DAVID's response to his joke but DAVID hasn't moved Hey whats the matter, don't you want to meet them?

DAVID: Yes but, but I've already missed so much, I wasn't even here to see their birth, what will they think of me? Their own father.. not even 15 minutes outside of the womb and I've already missed the most important event of their entire lives... of my entire life.

DOCTOR goes to comfort DAVID.

DOCTOR:Mr. Metcalf..

DAVID:..it's David

DOCTOR:David, you worry too much. The two little girls beyond that door exist because of you, I promise they will love your for that.

DAVID Takes this encouragement and agrees with it. He follows DOCTOR off stage right.

DOCTOR:And look at it this way, in the event that they do hate you, you have 2 lifetimes to make it up to them.