Don't Go In | Teen Ink

Don't Go In

March 9, 2018
By ScarletWitch BRONZE, Apex, North Carolina
ScarletWitch BRONZE, Apex, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

FADE IN:


INT. BLOODY HEARTS BUTCHER SHOP - SUNDOWN


LUCILLE, a young 20ish brunette, steps up and taps her fingers on the grimy counter.


To the right of her a TV is on with a news story about the upcoming snowstorm.


Above Lucille's head a chalkboard menu reads "Today's Specials Are The Bloody Mary and Heart Attacks."


From a door to the left an overweight, middle-aged, bald man emerges scratching his bloody apron.

His name tag reads BOB. He sighs and rolls his eyes.


BOB: What will it be this time, Lucille?
(squints)
The usual? Man, I gotta say you have some pretty weird taste--
LUCILLE: YES! I'm well aware of that, thank you, Bob.


Lucille looks around the butcher shop eyes wide and breathing hitched.


Bob chuckles. Something changes in Lucille's eyes, appearing dark and sinister as they begin to glow.


The NEWSMAN, 30-year-old with blondish-brown hair, suddenly comes on, with a small screen to the right that reads "Breaking News."


NEWSMAN(ON TV): The notorious rapist, Johnny Greenfield, has just escaped prison. Be on the look-out for a man in his early 30s, height at 6'4' weighing approximately 183 pounds with black hair and blue eyes. Residents should lock all doors and windows this evening as it is unclear where this dangerous criminal will strike.


An image of JOHNNY GREENFIELD flashes to the small screen.


NEWSMAN(ON TV): Police advise everyone to be indoors by 8 o'clock. His last known sighting was at a gas station in Dahlia county.


Lucille shrugs it off after a moment. Her eyes right to there normal appearance.

 

Bob squints his eyes, confused. Lucille pulls out a twenty-dollar bill and slides it across the counter.


LUCILLE: You know what, Bob, I'm feeling a bit peckish. I'll have my usual with a side of the Bloody Mary.


Bob writes the order in his notepad and exits.

The BELL on the front door jingles and GIRLISH SQUEALS are heard from the outside.

Lucille grins while she rolls her eyes.


BRITNEY, a 29-year-old blonde with a high-pitched and irritating voice, enters.


BRITNEY: LUCILLE! OMG! How great am I? I just got all the best rom coms of the century. Is this girls night gonna be the best or what?


Britney GIGGLES while jumping up and down. Lucille smiles and LAUGHS at her friend.


LUCILLE: (slowly) Okay, Britney, I get it. Just calm down. Any more positivity and I think Bob will throw us out.
BRITNEY: Oh, come on girl, you've been moping all week. It's time to get over that good-for-nothing d*****bag and have a good laugh as we watch some of the cheesiest romcoms ever.


Lucille's face pales but goes back to a playful smile.


LUCILLE: Hey, come on, I thought I was picking out the movie this time.


Britney grimaces and SIGHS. Her eyes are wide with wariness.


BRITNEY: I know, but the last time I let you pick, I was heavily traumatized by your extreme horror movie obsession. Anyway, the meter's almost up so how 'bout we split?


Lucille GROANS and turns toward the counter to pick up her order.


INT. LUCILLE'S CAR (MOVING)


The car is small with black leather seating and a ruby red paint job.

Lucille drives the car, staring at the road the entire time while Britney types on her phone. A radio plays.


RADIO ANNOUNCER(ON RADIO): So, as of now there have been no new sightings of Greenfield but police say they are working effortlessly to catch this criminal. In other news, the snow storm is expected to start around 8:30. Follow residents are advised to stay indoors and bundle up because it looks like we'll be getting at least 30 inches, if not more.


Lucille and Britney groan while Lucille turns off the radio.

Britney puts her phone in her purse and turns to Lucille.


BRITNEY: So, Luce, what exactly happened with that loser guy anyway?


Lucille's eyes widen slightly and she gives a thoughtful look.


LUCILLE: What can I say. I mean, I took your advice to get over my old flame and, well, it didn't work.


Britney turns to look at her friend and puts her phone down.


BRITNEY: Yeah, I get that part, but why did you two break up? I never met the guy and you made him sound like a total, ass but you also told me you really liked him.


Lucille GROANS and taps her fingers on the steering wheel.


LUCILLE: I did like him in the beginning. It felt good to be with some after so long. I finally had someone to talk to about all my baggage and not judge me--
BRITNEY: HEY. What am I, chopped liver?


Lucille LAUGHS and smiles.


LUCILLE: Brit, you know what I mean. We were able to talk about some stuff from our past. It's nothing you don't already know.
BRITNEY: Which is basically nothing.


Both girls LAUGH this time.


LUCILLE: Okay, well put. But come on. It's not like you're completely oblivious.
BRITNEY: I might as well be. From what I know, you've been this mopey, depressed loner since your "soulmate" and "love of your life" Daniel ended it.
LUCILLE: I was not that mopey.
BRITNEY: Sweetheart, you so were. If not for your wonderful and amazing friend here, I don't know how would survive.
LUCILLE: You know, you make very compelling case.
BRITNEY: Please, tell me something I don't know. But anyway, what happened between you and the new man in your life?
LUCILLE: I don't really know what to say. He just had some major issues that couldn't be overlooked and so I had to end it.


Britney narrows her eyes and presses her lips together.


BRITNEY: What do you mean, "major issues"?


Britney does hand quotes on "major issues."


BRITNEY: Did he not brush his teeth or somethin'?


Lucille grins widely and stops the car in front of a large white house.


LUCILLE: You could say that.


CUT TO:


INT. LUCILLE’S HOUSE - LIVING ROOM


Lucille falls back on the brown leather couch with a tired SIGH. In front of her is a large flat screen TV.


To the left is a small shelf with photos of Britney and Lucille.


On the end is one of a young gentlemen with green eyes and brown hair.

Below the shelf, an old record player sits with a stack of records next to it.


Britney, frowning, emerges from the kitchen.


BRITNEY: (dramatically) Oh no you don't. There is no way I will let you start moping when the night hasn't even started yet. I mean, isn't this a little much for a month-long relationship?


Britney walks around the couch next to a small shelf with a few photographs. Lucille MOANS and rubs her eyes.


LUCILLE: Look, Britney, it's not about the guy. Believe me, I'll probably never see him again. It's just that today's not a great day for me what with it being the anniversary--
BRITNEY: That's why it's important that you don't just stay stuck at home all sad and--


Britney gestures with her left arm and knocks over the photograph of the gentleman.

It shatters. Lucille rushes over.


BRITNEY: Oh, I'm so sorry.
LUCILLE: (eyes glisten) Britney for the love of... Can you please go get a broom from the closet?


Britney runs out of the living room. A tear falls from Lucille onto the photo.


Lucille clutches the picture to her chest. A knock is heard at the door.

Lucille wipes her face, sets the picture on the shelf, and goes to answer the door.


An older woman, MRS. BOMBAY, appears wearing overalls, with her hair in a black bandana.

Her eyes are wide and there's some sweat on her forehead.


MRS. BOMBAY: OH, Lucille, I'm so sorry to be bothering you but--my sweet little cat, Buttons, has disappeared and I was wondering if you'd seen him.
LUCILLE: I'm sorry Mrs. Bombay, but I haven't seen Buttons. He probably just wandered off. I'm sure he'll be back.
MRS. BOMBAY: I guess you're right. I knew I shouldn't have left him outside--after what happened to the Torrances' and the Freelings' pets--he just gets so agitated being cooped up all the time.


Lucille nods, smiling, her teeth pressed tight together.


MRS. BOMBAY: I just hope I can find him before the big snowstorm hits.
BRITNEY: Hey, Luce, where exactly is this broom? Your closet's a mess.
LUCILLE: I'm sorry, Mrs. Bombay, but I'm needed.


Lucille shuts the door behind her. Her smile drops.


LATER


FULL IMAGE OF TV SCREEN


Casablanca is playing on the screen. Britney and Lucille watch, eating popcorn.

Britney's eyes are fixed on the screen and Lucille YAWNS. Britney turns to Lucille, eyebrow raised.


BRITNEY: You know, for someone who can't even enjoy a classic, it's amazing I don't just leave you.
LUCILLE: (chuckles) Please, I'm a delight to be around. Besides, who'd put up with you for as long as I have?


Both girls continue laughing as a CREAKY SOUND can be heard in the background.


LUCILLE: Hey, did you set the timer for our food?


Britney stares dumbfoundead at Lucille.


BRITNEY: I thought you did.


Lucille rolls her eyes and gets up to go to the kitchen. The creaky noise is heard again and Lucille turns toward it.


LUCILLE: What the hell?


Lucille walks over to find her back door slightly open.


LUCILLE: I knew those repairman would rip me off.


Lucille slams the door shut and bolts it.

Britney has put her focus back on the movie, eating popcorn. Lucille joins her on the couch.


Britney's phone BEEPS and she picks it up, types, and sets it down on the end table on her left. Britney turns toward Lucille.


BRITNEY: What was that about?
LUCILLE: Just the back door was open a bit but I wouldn't worry about it.
BRITNEY: OMG. Luce, are you crazy? Did you not see the news today? What if that Greenfield guy is here?
LUCILLE: Oh, right, so just because there's some random criminal out on the streets means that he's here. Hello? Is anyone there?


Britney INHALES air and calms down.


BRITNEY: Okay, I get it, I'm being crazy. I just can't help but be scared-- did you see--


Britney turns to the side table and reaches for her phone but it has vanished. Britney eyes go wide and she turns toward Lucille.


BRITNEY: Uh, hey, Luce. Did you take my phone?
LUCILLE: No. Why?
BRITNEY: (heavily breathing) Um. I don't know. Maybe because I just put my phone down for a second and then it's gone the next?
LUCILLE: Are you sure? Because last time that happened--
BRITNEY: (loudly) No, trust me, I know something's up.


FOOTSTEPS are heard going upstairs. Lucille and Britney jump at the noise. Britney runs to the kitchen and Lucille follows.


INT. LUCILLE'S KITCHEN


A small kitchen with a refrigerator to the right. A oven is to the left with wooden cupboards hanging above it.


In the center of the room is a marble island with a knife box on top of it.


Britney goes to the knife box and pulls out a long, sharp kitchen knife.


TAPPING can be heard outside and Lucille goes to the window where a branch is tapping on the glass.


LUCILLE: See, don't be paranoid, it’s just the storm.


GLASS SHATTERING comes from the living room.
Lucille moves slowly toward the living room.

Britney follows with the blade raised. Several pictures have been shattered and LAUGHTER begins to echo around the house.


BRITNEY: Okay, right you gonna tell me the storm did that to?


The timer on the oven goes off and Lucille leaves with Britney to pull out the food.

Lucille sets the dish on top of the stove and turns around to see Britney shaking violently and breathing heavily.


Music suddenly plays and Britney becomes more frightened.

Then girls look over to see the old record player in the living room with a record spinning on the table.


BRITNEY: (breathing heavily) Girl, come on, you got call the cops.
MAN's voice (O.S.): (in tune with music) Oh, what a pretty little lady she was. What a pretty little wife she made. Too bad for her, the husband came home, and cut out her eyes with a blade.


Britney freaks out with tears in her eyes. Lucille puts her arms around Britney's shoulders.


LUCILLE: Okay, come on, we can make a break for it to the car and call the police after we get out of here.
JOHNNY: (singing loudly voice sickly sweet) OH, DANIEL, DANIEL, DANIEL, why'd you have to go and leave your girl! Now she and her friend will die!


Lucille and Britney sprint to the back door for Lucille's car.


Once the door is fully open Lucille steps outside while Britney trembles behind her.

Snow falling heavily with little visibility.


The car's tires are slashed and there's a trail of footprints leading to her back door.

Lucille goes back inside with Britney and slams the door shut.


The lights all go off and Johnny's voice can be heard throughout the house.


JOHNNY: Too bad no one can save you. I wonder how long until they find your bodies?


Lucille grabs a flashlight and rushes Britney to the bathroom. Britney sobs and the knife shakes in her hand.


LUCILLE: Britney, listen to me. I need you to stay in here while I take care of this.
BRITNEY: Luce, wait, no--
LUCILLE: Yes, listen to me Britney, it's got to be this way. Don't worry.


Britney tilts her head to the side. Lucille closes the bathroom door and makes her way upstairs, a determined look in her eye.


LUCILLE: You shouldn't have come here. This was supposed to be a quiet night in and I'd like to keep it that way.


Lucille starts heading down the dark hall to her bedroom door.


LUCILLE: If you agree to leave this place now I promise you'll like it better than the other option. It's a fair deal, not many people who've crossed my path have gotten off that easy.


Lucille throws the door open and steps inside.

Johnny emerges from the shadows and catching Lucille off-guard, tackles her to the ground.


Johnny pins Lucille under him and holds a small knife above her chest.


JOHNNY: (soft) Sorry, sweetheart, I made a promise to you when you turned me in. Now, what I'm about to do to this lovely body of your is going to hurt--but trust me, I'll make sure it's good--
LUCILLE: I meant what I said earlier, too, Johnny.
JOHNNY: SHUT UP. You and your ditzy friend downstairs are going to die. I'll hold you down and pleasure myself while you scream. Tie you up and make you watch as I do it to your friend. Then I'll make you watch as I slowly cut up her body.


Lucille looks up at Johnny and creepily smiles.


LUCILLE: Too bad you couldn't leave well enough alone. There's something you didn't account for.
JOHNNY: What's that, sweetheart?


Lucille's face contorts to a vampire with sharp teeth and glowing yellow eyes.

 

Lucille lunges and pins Johnny. The knife flies out of Johnny's hand.


Lucille thrusts herself down on Johnny's neck and bites down hard. Johnny continues to limply struggle.


Lucille drags Johnny's body to a closet. Inside is a bookshelf that she turns to reveal a tiny room.


Lucille throws Johnny's body inside. Johnny's head turns toward her.


LUCILLE: (smiling) Don't look at me like that. I only give one chance at mercy. You're the one that blew it.


PHOTOS ON THE WALL


Lucille looks at the pictures and drops Johnny's necklace into a bowl on the side containing pet collars.

 

The name tag BUTTONS is visible with blood on it.


Lucille looks at the images showing her and the young gentlemen from before. The photos span several decades.


Newspaper headlines are seen above about gruesome murders and one of a man murdered by mob.


Britney's footsteps can be heard. Lucille puts the bookshelf back, locks the closet, and wipes the blood on her face.


She makes several cuts on her body and opens the window throwing the knife into her nightstand.


BRITNEY: OMG. Are you okay? I heard scream--wait, where's Johnny?


A broad smile forms on Lucille's face.


LUCILLE: Don't worry, he's gone now.


FADE OUT:


The author's comments:

I was very much inspired by the original Haunting in it's way of making the characters question everything and doubt what's happening to them and from several well known movies that can incorporate twist that no one sees coming such as in M. Night Shyamalan's Six Sense