Never Work Late | Teen Ink

Never Work Late

By flower-fairy BRONZE, Marietta, Georgia
flower-fairy BRONZE, Marietta, Georgia

"At least I finished the song before my life ended"

The frosty air bit Zack’s cheeks as he ran down the dark corridor, he turned left only to be followed by maniacal laughing. He had been working his normal job, his terrible boss, the snobby receptionist, that one coworker named Jerry everyone hated. Zack doesn’t remember much, he didn’t have time to remember, only time to run. The creature behind him nipped at his heels, the collared shirt with khakis, and dress shoes weren’t a good choice for today’s madness. But he still ran, ran faster than a lighting bolt zipping across the sky. Zack ran into a dead-end… The animalistic growling grew louder as he slowly turned around in horror. The face of the laughing monster grew louder and louder. Until finally its grotesque features of black ooze and pale white skin formed a face.. Jerry’s face… 

In a colorful flash of memories came speeding back to his mind. Zack was in his office the dim lights illuminating his desk covered in papers and files. Jerry came up behind him tapping Zack 3 precise times on the shoulder. 

“Hey, I’m getting some coffee downstairs want some?” Jerry asked, which was out of the ordinary considering Jerry was very reclusive and cold. 

“Uh sure, thanks Jerry” Zack replied with a hint of hesitance ringing in his voice. Jerry’s face twisted and morphed into a crooked smile, he seemed so inhuman… 

“See you in a bit” Jerry whispered as he walked away the sound of his shoes clicking against the linoleum reverberating against the walls. It had been 30 minutes since Jerry had left, Zack didn’t care he was more concerned with finishing his paperwork before 3 AM. The electronic buzz never left as the clock ticked from 1:45 to 2:00 to 2:48… The last word dropped on the page as Zack laid his head on the cool desk, he was so so tired. With the last of his energy, Zack climbed from his chair and got into the elevator where Jerry, was in the corner. His shirt was off and his spine popped out of the pale skin in a disturbing manner… Jerry shook as he turned around his crooked grin was plastered on his face. 

“Got your coffee” stuttered the pale sickly man, jumping onto zack Jerry vomited black coffee

like goo into Zack’s mouth. Then nothing… That was it… Jerry was the monster and his body now unrealistic and resembling a wolf with a human face growled and snarled before snapping his bloodied mouth.

Now the black goo was everywhere Zack was truly nothing now…

-Woody