The Light Behind the Door | Teen Ink

The Light Behind the Door

January 10, 2024
By MaevaKuehl BRONZE, Dickinson, North Dakota
MaevaKuehl BRONZE, Dickinson, North Dakota
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Weird. How could I not have noticed that door before? This was crazy. I reached for the knob. I had hardly touched the knob when it flew open. Shielding my eyes from the sudden blinding light, I can hear children laughing and yelling. I am new to this town after all, maybe I should make some friends. The light dies down and I remove my hand from my eyes, revealing a colorful carnival all around me. The smell of corn dogs and fried food consumes me, forcing me to finally take a step in and away from that odd black door. Taking one last glance at my new house through the door, it slams in my face. 

Suddenly, the carnival starts to drown out and slow down. I spin around confused by what is unfolding around me. The air no longer smells of fair food, it smells like rotting garbage. The carnival around me has twisted from vibrant and colorful, to dull and run down. Where were the children? I heard them laughing. Maybe they know what is happening. I run frantically around the carnival over and over again still not finding a single one. Exhausted, I lay down on the ground, I’m horrified by what I see hanging in the sky. The children I heard are hanging, rotten flesh exposed. 

A laugh rings out around me, malicious and haunting. My heart speeds up and I spin around over and over again trying to find a way out. I sprint to the door as fast as I can. It’s still shut but maybe I have a chance if I can get there. I sprint faster than I ever have, my feet pounding the sticky ground. The smell is consuming my entire body, infiltrating from my lungs to my mouth. I try not to gag as I lay my hand on the door. 

“Oh little girl, you’re never getting out of here.” I flip the doorknob over and over again but it isn’t budging. 

“Help me! Help me!” I scream over and over again without any reply. The footsteps are getting closer to whatever is responsible for this. Whoever or whatever it is I don’t want to know. Hot tears stream down my face when the door still won’t budge. It’s so close I can feel its breath down my neck, warm and sticky. My legs feel like jello as I turn slowly to face it, hoping if I look at it it’ll disappear. I gasped in horror when I lay my eyes on the hideous sight. The most unnerving clown I have ever seen. His smile stretches out and I see the blood and shreds of flesh between his large teeth. He towers over me, I have no way out. I quickly look around and my eyes meet the ceiling, I will soon be up there. 


The author's comments:

This piece is about a girl that opens a mysterious door not knowing what would lie ahead.